Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mhdena
I will work on this on the next few days but most of the info is very old and outdated.

I have been using all of these the last 2 years and I will update what other people have started along with some tools on how to buy on multiple accounts if people want this info. This is just a quick first draft. I will clean up and add more details.

please dont .... up the work I will put into this. please message me and I can add more data and I have more buying groups that I can add
  1. Pointsmaker - pointsmaker.com - Notifies via email . You buy and upload tracking number - Payment comes pretty quick same day most often via echeck once item is checked in
  2. MYS Buying Group - mysbuyinggroup.com Notifies via email . You buy and upload tracking number - Payment comes pretty quick once item is checked in echeck
    MYS has the most complaints of all, from very late payment to not receiving items. Many people have given up on MYS.
  3. USA Buying Group - usabuying.group same as others regarding loading the tracking number. slowest payment of all. alerts come via whatsapp and email and response time is medium to issues
  4. YRCW - app.yrcwtech.com same as others alertss comes via whatsapp - payments can be slow. response time to issues are pretty quick via communication thru wahtsapp to owner
  5. Buy For Me Retail - The best. buyformeretail.com deals are posted on page. offers sent thru email. payment sent ach when they are checked i
  6. EMB - embdeals.com same as above - a great one as well. alerts via whatsapp. payments can be requested same day and will arrive same day. lots of offers last amazon prime.
  7. EMB - From late 2021 through August 2022, Several reports of missing packages, more complaints than most of the other groups. Buyers Beware.
  8. TheDealBuyer - thedealbuyer.com - Seems to be very new to the game. Not using whatsapp, but Pushover to send deals.
Print Wikipost

Buying Groups

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:04 am

So, I just did a few buys for USA buying group before I saw this. Did those of you with problems get resolution? (and now I have my fingers crossed on about 1 k I did for them)....
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
So, I just did a few buys for USA buying group before I saw this. Did those of you with problems get resolution? (and now I have my fingers crossed on about 1 k I did for them)....
They're definitely the slowest when scanning and payment, but despite all this, they always honored payments. Just...slooooow.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
At Kroger, you get 1 point per dollar, and you save 10 cents per gallon for every 100 points. Usually 10 cents per gallon for $100 spend.
Example: spend $100, get 100 points, save 10 cents/gallon. Buy 10 gallons, save $1.00
Example: spend $200, get 200 points, save 20 cents/gallon. Buy 10 gallons, save $2.00
Example: spend $299, get 299 points, save 20 cents/gallon. You don't get partial credit for the extra 99 points.
Example: spend $100 during a 4x promotion, get 400 points, save 40 cents/gallon. Buy 10 gallons, save $4.00
Example spend $50 during a 4x promotion, get 200 points, save 20 cents/gallon. Buy 10 gallons, save $2.00
Max you can save is $1.00/gallon (1000 points, aka $1000 spend, or $250 spend at 4x). Points do not roll over month to month. Use it or lose it
Any more questions about the gas credit should probably go to the Kroger thread

Since the topic is buying groups, I assume the plan would be to spend the Amazon funds on whatever the group wants. Profit from the credit card cashback when buying the gift cards, profit from the gas points, profit from reselling to the buying group. You could also buy personal stuff with the Amazon funds.
thanks for the detailed info.. appreciated.
Never gave thought to gas till now as get 4% cashback from Costco on their Citi CC, but interesting to know.
Not sure why but I seem to recall that GC purchases were not giving points in Safeway (I think).
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
thanks for the detailed info.. appreciated.
Never gave thought to gas till now as get 4% cashback from Costco on their Citi CC, but interesting to know.
Not sure why but I seem to recall that GC purchases were not giving points in Safeway (I think).
I don't know about Safeway, but at Kroger you don't get fuel points for purchasing vgc. You do get them for Amazon gc.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
I don't know about Safeway, but at Kroger you don't get fuel points for purchasing vgc. You do get them for Amazon gc.
I think you get them for fixed amounts but not variables. I never bought them d/t high fees.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by reallove
They're definitely the slowest when scanning and payment, but despite all this, they always honored payments. Just...slooooow.
I tested it out for my own sanity. 1 purchase basically too 30 days to get the payment from them. Aside from sometimes having products other buying groups don't have, you really need to be patient with them as they are incredibly slow compared to the others.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 6:22 pm

I applied with Points Maker, but have not heard a reply if they approve my app. They slow too?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I am trying to wrap my head around the concept or buying groups (along with the considerable risks already described above).

From what I have read, I use my own funds, no matter what they be, to purchase an item for a buying group and have it shipped to their address.

They will reimburse me for the purchase. My first question is "Do I get any payment for sending them an item above and beyond what I paid for it? Do they include the shipping and insurance costs?" If they don't, then this means that I am doing this strictly to monetize my GCs (purchased with a CC).

If the answer is no, why do I feel comfortable giving a basically unknown company a interest free and unsecured loan?

If the product is lost/stolen/mishandled is there any mechanism to reimburse me (other than insurance) for the loss. And, presuming that the item costs $250, how many new GCs or CC points will I need to received in order to recover from the loss of the primary product.

Buying groups are only as good as the company behind them. If they go out of business for whatever reason, and you have credits against them, there is no way that you will be able to recover that money. If an item is "lost" in shipping, there is no way to recover the money unless the shipping company concedes that they are liable, or you have shipping insurance (which I suspect a buying group will not pay for).

I think I would rather play with Bitcoin
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, that's a risk. And yes, buying groups sometimes pay more than the retail value.
If you don't like the risk, then just don't use buying groups.
cajunguy, Clueless12 and ne0ven0m like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by reallove
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I applied with Points Maker, but have not heard a reply if they approve my app. They slow too?
They may take a few days to respond to your application but they're just as responsive with buys and payment as BFMR and MYS.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cajunguy
They may take a few days to respond to your application but they're just as responsive with buys and payment as BFMR and MYS.
BFMR is the fastest to pay of all of them at least for me, lately I get paid the same day of delivery with BFMR.

I stopped using MYS when they stopped the LA drop off with checks on the spot 2 years ago. Many reports of late paying since I first heard of them.

So I don't think anyone who doesn't work for MYS would agree with you.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by radonc1
I am trying to wrap my head around the concept or buying groups (along with the considerable risks already described above).

From what I have read, I use my own funds, no matter what they be, to purchase an item for a buying group and have it shipped to their address.

They will reimburse me for the purchase. My first question is "Do I get any payment for sending them an item above and beyond what I paid for it? Do they include the shipping and insurance costs?" If they don't, then this means that I am doing this strictly to monetize my GCs (purchased with a CC).

If the answer is no, why do I feel comfortable giving a basically unknown company a interest free and unsecured loan?

If the product is lost/stolen/mishandled is there any mechanism to reimburse me (other than insurance) for the loss. And, presuming that the item costs $250, how many new GCs or CC points will I need to received in order to recover from the loss of the primary product.

Buying groups are only as good as the company behind them. If they go out of business for whatever reason, and you have credits against them, there is no way that you will be able to recover that money. If an item is "lost" in shipping, there is no way to recover the money unless the shipping company concedes that they are liable, or you have shipping insurance (which I suspect a buying group will not pay for).

I think I would rather play with Bitcoin
It is an interest free loan to an unknown company.. I just completed 2 successful transactions with Pointsmaker but it was more to see how this stuff usually works.
I think this will be of interest or makes sense when either of the below is valid (atleast for me) :
- Folks have to meet MSR for a SUB.
- They are paying more than the product price (for e.g - currently some of these groups paying $25 - $100 more for some playstation models)
- Folks have a very nice CC which has good cash back or reward point rates.
- There is a good cash back promo thru the cashback sites which make you get 5-10 %.

Above are just my thoughts on what I have understood. I am sure others have many more ways to earn bigger rewards for this activity, but I have not found those yet.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:00 pm

It is an interest free loan to an unknown company.. I just completed 2 successful transactions with Pointsmaker but it was more to see how this stuff usually works.
I think this will be of interest or makes sense when either of the below is valid (atleast for me) :
- Folks have to meet MSR for a SUB.
- They are paying more than the product price (for e.g - currently some of these groups paying $25 - $100 more for some playstation models)
- Folks have a very nice CC which has good cash back or reward point rates.
- There is a good cash back promo thru the cashback sites which make you get 5-10 %.

Above are just my thoughts on what I have understood. I am sure others have many more ways to earn bigger rewards for this activity, but I have not found those yet.
For quick paying groups, such as BFMR which usually pays on the day of delivery, this can be a way to get a free 1-2 month cash advance.

If one possesses a greater appetite for risk, one can store the funds as cash/stablecoin in a crypto "savings account" (eg: Celsius Network, BlockFi, AnchorUSD, etc.) at rates of 8-10+% APY.
Withdraw to pay statement balance on time, transfer new buying group payments into crypto savings, rinse and repeat to essentially generate interest on the card's credit limit.
Prometheus77 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
There are also card offers. For example, I had an offer on my Platinum card for $100 back on Dell purchases of $500 or more.
When you can use those, it can be quite lucrative.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
There are also card offers. For example, I had an offer on my Platinum card for $100 back on Dell purchases of $500 or more.
When you can use those, it can be quite lucrative.
Thanks to all for the explanations. Eye opening to say the least. And I appreciate everyone's take on the discussion.

The one caveat that I see is the loss of product/failure to reimburse. There is no safety net in buying groups. If they fail to pay, then you are out the entire amount of the purchase.

The loss of a $500 computer will require many rebates, or runs through a bitcoin account (talk about adding to risk ) to recoup the single loss of an order.

I think that what I am saying is that while there is some attractive upside to doing buying groups, there is a huge downside as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.