Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:25 am

Visa/Staples

Do we know if the Visa gift cards are working for money orders? (Metabank issued) Looks like the mastercards from Metabank are still not working for money orders.
Would hate to load up and not be able to liquidate with money orders at Food Lion grocery store.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kirkpd
Do we know if the Visa gift cards are working for money orders? (Metabank issued) Looks like the mastercards from Metabank are still not working for money orders.
Would hate to load up and not be able to liquidate with money orders at Food Lion grocery store.
I unloaded last week 52 Staples MCs and 6 SnS MCs w/o a single problem with any of them
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:52 pm

Right when I walked in store today to look at VGC- The Manager tells me that the District Manager had just informed him that they did a 'survey', and are not going to enforce the 1 VGC per visit rule anymore.

Just spent 4K at 2 stores.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by enwhycee
Right when I walked in store today to look at VGC- The Manager tells me that the District Manager had just informed him that they did a 'survey', and are not going to enforce the 1 VGC per visit rule anymore.

Most of the data out there the last 12 months on Staples revolves around the revered "District/regional manager" calling the shots. You got lucky for certain with yours as they no doubt aren't selling any of these with the cap of just one currently.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by enwhycee

mine still has a sign 'limit 1'!!!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:16 pm

Mine upsales me to buy more! Just started MS'ing last month and both months had two different cashiers tell me when I've grabbed just one that... "you can get up to 10 if you want"
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by danhouston
mine still has a sign 'limit 1'!!!
One of my Staples that was anal in enforcing the 1 card limit has had no problem selling me 2 at a time this week.

No comments or whining (on my part) necessary. My other Staples still sell me as many as I want so there is no change there.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
One of my Staples that was anal in enforcing the 1 card limit has had no problem selling me 2 at a time this week.

No comments or whining (on my part) necessary. My other Staples still sell me as many as I want so there is no change there.
yeah, depends on cashier; got 2 yday, but only 1 the day before
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
yeah, depends on cashier; got 2 yday, but only 1 the day before
Same here one store allowed me 3 on Sunday and only one yesterday, it all depends on the cashier.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:48 pm

A brand new clerk at my Staples store sold me 8 cards, wrote his name on the receipt, and asked me to complete the customer survey to help him out.

Always glad to help. See you tomorrow!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:56 am

10 max

Was talking to cashier today (same as yesterday morning) and told her I’d be in all week. She politely mentioned that I can buy 2k at a time to save myself some trips. It caught me off guard so I said I’ll be back
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:17 pm

staples - one per promo now in nc

Just went to my local Staples and was told that the limit was ONE per PROMO period on the fee free visa promo.. I had been told previously that it was one Visa per Day.
How can you find out what the real Staples policy is on gift card promos?
Promo add states one per customer but it was always per day in the past.

Last edited by kirkpd; Nov 7, 2019 at 4:18 pm Reason: spell error
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Just went to my local Staples and was told that the limit was ONE per PROMO period on the fee free visa promo.. I had been told previously that it was one Visa per Day.
The limit is determined by the sales staff you get. My numbers have ranged from 1 to 10 and everything in-between.

Go to your local Staples at another time and day and you may be surprised. However, if the store manager is enforcing the rule of 1/visit or day or whatever, then that is generally what you will get.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: none
I agreed with radonc1 comment, policy is there but it's always ymmv with MS or Staples. If you have time and want excise your right, call Staples CEO office at 508-253-5000 to get manager retrained or get clarification.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by mySimon411
I agreed with radonc1 comment, policy is there but it's always ymmv with MS or Staples. If you have time and want excise your right, call Staples CEO office at 508-253-5000 to get manager retrained or get clarification.
On behalf of all of us, please do not call the corporate office. Ever. Please.
cruisr and nwflyboy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.