Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by shadow520
I haven't run a lot of these cards, only about 15-20, but none of the ones I've run as debit went got the bonus automatically. Only credit. But I've always used them with a split payment.

There really is a gremlin in the ointment with these things. Some have no problems, other have no joy. It is what it is I guess.
I should have specified, I've only used them at CVS as well. Don't have any KM that are convenient.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:54 pm

I've only used 1 CVS.

most of my credits post within 48 hrs +/- a few hours.

Last Jan 3, in 1 transaction, 3 used as credit and 1 as debit, the 3 credits have posted, the debit hasn't.

I think this is the same as last time where the 5B for the debit takes a bit longer to post
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I've only used 1 CVS.

most of my credits post within 48 hrs +/- a few hours.

Last Jan 3, in 1 transaction, 3 used as credit and 1 as debit, the 3 credits have posted, the debit hasn't.

I think this is the same as last time where the 5B for the debit takes a bit longer to post
I just called on 4 that I ran, all as debit in a single split-transaction, that hadn't posted yet.

I have 4 other that I ran two days ago the same way that also hasn't posted yet, but the trans date online showed yesterday, so I opted to wait. But I know I'll have to call on them in a few days.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Interesting DP that seems to go contrary to my expectations. I used a batch of 4 FB cards at a CVS yesterday (i.e.<48hrs) -- one in a credit mode, the rest in debit. Now 3 cards already have a rebate, and one does not.
Interesting.

I have liquidated maybe $30k 5backs at CVS and all have posted the $25 without issue. But I learned early to run as credit with the last 4 digits prompt.

One local CVS told me that they dont permit buying gift cards with debit gift cards, but credit is fine. So I run as credit.

How many people are running debit vs. credit? I read all these issues about getting $25 posted and not one issue for me, but I ran all as credit. Now you say your debit worked but credit did not.

I think this is worth discussing. Running as debit will be quicker if permitted, but riskier for $25 crediting?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tbradnc
Red Simons are consistently problematic in terms of getting the CB within 48 hours.

I bought a few $k from GCM when they were selling discounted $500 FBs and those worked as advertised. These were the black cards that that had large non-raised numbers with the CVV all on front of the card. I liked these cards because I could see the numbers without my glasses.
$30k red Simons all posted great with no issue for me.

$5k Black giftcard mall all posted fine without issue as well.

Beginning to wonder if store POS issues as some have suggested.

I run as credit, but many run as debit say posts fine too.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tycoon007
$30k red Simons all posted great with no issue for me.

$5k Black giftcard mall all posted fine without issue as well.

Beginning to wonder if store POS issues as some have suggested.

I run as credit, but many run as debit say posts fine too.
Slightly more amount than yours.
All ran as debit, single card, single transaction because this is the only way the CVS stores in my area allow it - otherwise if it is credit mode, the card must have name that matches the DL used.

All rebates posted less than 24 hours, except on 3 occasions with 2 the transactions done in the SAME store.

1) very early on, it was run as auto-drain debit with the bal paid by a CC.
Result - transaction shown as "partial approved". Never see the rebate. Called on day 7, and took 3 calls subsequently to get the rebate manually posted.

2) and 3) 4 cards on each time, used at the SAME store. Rebates do not show up after 48 hours. Called and got a call back a few hours later, the rep said she just manually posted the rebates. That was after X'mas before New Year.
Then used another 4 cards on Jan 2nd at the above store. Same thing happened. Called and the rep seemed already knew what was the issue. No call back but rebates showed up as manual posting in 3 to 4 hours after call.

One way to tell it is manual posting is, there is no description, like back in early Dec.
Auto-posting has a description - INTELISPEND - EGIFT. This is the auto-generated posting. When BlackHawk switched to this platform it had some system glitch, hence some of us received a second rebate - the first one had no description, the second one had INTELISPEND - EGIFT description. The system glitch has been fixed about 2 weeks ago. Now all the auto-posted rebates have this description.

It seems to me BlackHawk is aware of non-posting at some CVS stores. Hence the manual posting happened very quickly once you called, in a few hours if you called no later than the afternoon.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
It looks to me, if you used it as debit, you may have delays in getting CBs. Unless the datapoint says otherwise.
Read the thread and you will have datapojnts
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Slightly more amount than yours.
All ran as debit, single card, single transaction because this is the only way the CVS stores in my area allow it - otherwise if it is credit mode, the card must have name that matches the DL used.

All rebates posted less than 24 hours, except on 3 occasions with 2 the transactions done in the SAME store.

1) very early on, it was run as auto-drain debit with the bal paid by a CC.
Result - transaction shown as "partial approved". Never see the rebate. Called on day 7, and took 3 calls subsequently to get the rebate manually posted.

2) and 3) 4 cards on each time, used at the SAME store. Rebates do not show up after 48 hours. Called and got a call back a few hours later, the rep said she just manually posted the rebates. That was after X'mas before New Year.
Then used another 4 cards on Jan 2nd at the above store. Same thing happened. Called and the rep seemed already knew what was the issue. No call back but rebates showed up as manual posting in 3 to 4 hours after call.

One way to tell it is manual posting is, there is no description, like back in early Dec.
Auto-posting has a description - INTELISPEND - EGIFT. This is the auto-generated posting. When BlackHawk switched to this platform it had some system glitch, hence some of us received a second rebate - the first one had no description, the second one had INTELISPEND - EGIFT description. The system glitch has been fixed about 2 weeks ago. Now all the auto-posted rebates have this description.

It seems to me BlackHawk is aware of non-posting at some CVS stores. Hence the manual posting happened very quickly once you called, in a few hours if you called no later than the afternoon.
I've never gotten missing 5 back that fast. As the CSR states 1 - 3 business days. Early in the days, I had no problem with auto 5 back within 48 hrs, but starting 12/22 or later I have to call....waited longer than a week for some of the cards....
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:36 am

I killed my KM about 3 weeks ago (thumped them for about 75k over a little over a month before they went to cash only)

At that time I started going to a local very friendly CVS. KM always posted within 48 hours and ALWAYS automatic. Often within 24 hours the CB would be there

This CVS has NEVER posted despite whether ran as credit or debit. Despite waiting 48-72-120 hours, it didn't seem to matter. But reading a certain members advice here I decided to sit on all of the CVS pending cashback since around a day or two after Chistmas. Hey, if I didn't have to call it is WELL WORTH the additional wait time

Didn't matter. None have posted. Just called this morning and read off a bunch of numbers for them to be manually added

The CSR (Indian accent) stated that the cashback should post in two business days but that they are being deluged (my word) with calls regarding CB not posting so I may need to wait until next week sometime for this to be added

Seems as though this thing is tying up blackhawks backend something fierce so who knows how much longer the gravy train will chooo-chooo down the tracks

I wouldn't count on it being a whole heck of a lot longer. If it wasn't so lucrative I would've stopped a while ago as checking/babysitting/calling on these things is a PITA.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
what do you buy at KM and Lowes?
@KM, bought MOs although it allows only 1 MO up to $500, no split tender. BUT there was no need to buy VGCs so lesser fees, more profits. At Lowe's I processed the fee-free ODOM FBs, bought DE/GE/SE and brought it WM next door to load to prepaids. Some questioned and scoffed at getting add'l $5.05 net profit per card, but it didn't take a lot of effort to earn it. Besides, it's MY time and effort, not theirs. :P Right after that, the HyVee gig came and our heads started spinning from another round of CB avalanche not counting all points/miles earned.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
I assume the KMart is YMMV, but how many MOs are you getting at a time from there?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
I assume the KMart is YMMV, but how many MOs are you getting at a time from there?
The entire roll
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vagrants
I've never gotten missing 5 back that fast. As the CSR states 1 - 3 business days. Early in the days, I had no problem with auto 5 back within 48 hrs, but starting 12/22 or later I have to call....waited longer than a week for some of the cards....
If the stores pos are programmed correctly, the 5b came back the next day, very fast in the week before and after holidays - LESS than 24 hours in my area - Except that one store. As I said, BlackHawk seems to be aware of this particular issue hence very quick processing of the rebates. I imagine if you call during the evening, the manual posting would be the next day. Calling around noon thru afternoon, I got the rebates a few hours after calls on both occasions.

Your issues are directly tied to your stores. Not much BlackHawk could do about it other than you call right after the requisite timeframe has passed.

Going on long trip starting next week. Pretty sure the gravy train will end when we come back in first week of Feb.

Hope you guys continue to enjoy the ride till it is no more.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joshy119
I killed my KM about 3 weeks ago (thumped them for about 75k over a little over a month before they went to cash only)

At that time I started going to a local very friendly CVS. KM always posted within 48 hours and ALWAYS automatic. Often within 24 hours the CB would be there

This CVS has NEVER posted despite whether ran as credit or debit. Despite waiting 48-72-120 hours, it didn't seem to matter. But reading a certain members advice here I decided to sit on all of the CVS pending cashback since around a day or two after Chistmas. Hey, if I didn't have to call it is WELL WORTH the additional wait time

Didn't matter. None have posted. Just called this morning and read off a bunch of numbers for them to be manually added

The CSR (Indian accent) stated that the cashback should post in two business days but that they are being deluged (my word) with calls regarding CB not posting so I may need to wait until next week sometime for this to be added

Seems as though this thing is tying up blackhawks backend something fierce so who knows how much longer the gravy train will chooo-chooo down the tracks

I wouldn't count on it being a whole heck of a lot longer. If it wasn't so lucrative I would've stopped a while ago as checking/babysitting/calling on these things is a PITA.
First, I hope those who keep claiming waiting is the best measure would heed your experiences.

Secondly, the rebates are paid by the merchants. BlackHawk provides the infrastructure. But BlackHawk also get tons of sales thus earn a lot of the fee (and the spoilage from normal users as 8% of the GCs sold in US never get used).

What will stop this is not BlackHawk pulling the product, rather participating merchants pull out the program once some of them realize how much expenses they have incurred, WITHOUT the corresponding increase of revenues. GC sales do not count for revenues in case some are still naively think it counts.

Finally, FYI, BlackHawk CS location is based in Central America, El Salvador to be exact. They do have accents, but none I talked to, could be said as Indian accent. More like Hispanic, same as what we have within US.
The good thing about this is, they are close to US, have similar time zone. And, understand more geographic of US, especially when they seem always ask your zip code (to determine where you buy / use the 5B - probably a security measure.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.