Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:26 am

Those who are having trouble getting their CB please post whether it is Simon /GCM or any other store purchased FB.

I have not had any trouble getting my CBs, most of my purchases were from Simon except a few from GCM mail order.

I process my FB as credit and that's pain. Looks like I should run it as debit that way you don't have to handover card to cashier every time and you don't have to sign.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
I do debit and have had a problem with about 5% of my cards. Easy enough to call in like 10 days later and read off a bunch of numbers. takes like 15 minutes max.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Those who are having trouble getting their CB please post whether it is Simon /GCM or any other store purchased FB.

I have not had any trouble getting my CBs, most of my purchases were from Simon except a few from GCM mail order.

I process my FB as credit and that's pain. Looks like I should run it as debit that way you don't have to handover card to cashier every time and you don't have to sign.
Red Simons are consistently problematic in terms of getting the CB within 48 hours.

I bought a few $k from GCM when they were selling discounted $500 FBs and those worked as advertised. These were the black cards that that had large non-raised numbers with the CVV all on front of the card. I liked these cards because I could see the numbers without my glasses.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
I do debit and have had a problem with about 5% of my cards. Easy enough to call in like 10 days later and read off a bunch of numbers. takes like 15 minutes max.
Individual debit transactions or split payment with auto-drain?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:52 am

Waiting on CB for a few cards from 12/29 to post. All were used at CVS and ran as debit. Will wait until tomorrow afternoon before calling.

Last edited by ktm19; Jan 5, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:56 am

for me, i have had problems with receiving CB within 48 hrs for both simon pink fb and gcm black fb. no trend of say one being more problematic than the other.

some cards receive CB within the expected time, while some dont, and there is no specific linkage to the store i went to.

all purchases are done as individual debit transactions.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:18 pm

I haven't run a lot of these cards, only about 15-20, but none of the ones I've run as debit went got the bonus automatically. Only credit. But I've always used them with a split payment.

There really is a gremlin in the ointment with these things. Some have no problems, other have no joy. It is what it is I guess.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:31 pm

IME, processing 5Bs at CVS, KM and Lowe's the ones processed either debit/credit at the last 2 merchants have always posted CB (for me) within 48 hrs. The delayed CBs that I had to call to get them all came from CVS purchases.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:37 pm

Ive done 20 GCM 5Backs and 60 Simon 5Backs and none have ever had a problem with crediting the 5%. Early, like mid Dec, I even received 10% on some GCM 5Backs $50. I strictly do @ CVS, individual $495, debit transactions leaving .05 on the card.

I did 4 SM 5Backs @ CVS yesterday at 930am and the CB was posted to the cards this AM.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
IME, processing 5Bs at CVS, KM and Lowe's the ones processed either debit/credit at the last 2 merchants have always posted CB (for me) within 48 hrs. The delayed CBs that I had to call to get them all came from CVS purchases.
what do you buy at KM and Lowes?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:56 pm

It looks to me, if you used it as debit, you may have delays in getting CBs. Unless the datapoint says otherwise.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
It looks to me, if you used it as debit, you may have delays in getting CBs. Unless the datapoint says otherwise.
I must be one of the few lucky ones. The delay I experienced in receiving the 5% credit on the Simon FBs was back in December when they were still new. The past 2 days I've used them as debits, the CB was credited the very next day. The ones from last night showed up this morning.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Exactly.

If you have kept meticulous records on where you used your cards and which ones took forever to post or needed to call - you can see a pattern emerged, and you can even identify which CVS stores are the problematic ones.

I am surprised so many of you still dont see the weakest link which is INDIVIDUAL CVS stores. CVS stores POS is NOT standardized. If the POS is programmed wrongly, it would affect the auto-posting of rebates. It is as simple as that. Nothing to do with how you run your cards or where you source your cards.

Any method would work as long as your CVS store programs its POS correctly. The only way to find out is to go back to your own records and find the "bad apples".

The only exception is the "partial approval" with debit mode, all your non-autoposting issues are directly tied to the SPECIFIC store's registers.

"Partial Approval" happened when the 5B is autodrained in debit mode - this has caused nonposting in my area and in another FTer's area. It may not be an issue in many others' areas. But I know now NOT to use this method.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:02 pm

i agree cb is not delayed when used at lowes.

didnt try km so dont know abt that.

the problematic ones have been cvs.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Interesting.. Maybe I'm the author of my own misfortune since I've only used 5% CB at (many) different CVS locations and seem to have days of delays getting the $25 back.

It has been a while since I bought gift cards at Lowes but seems like I remember the variables ours have are $20-$200 with $5.95 AF. I wouldn't swear to it, but that's what I think I remember. CVS always have $20-$500 with $4.95 AF.

I've never sat around constantly refreshing my browser to see if the 5% has posted and I've never worried things wouldn't work out in the end but it is annoying that this thing doesn't work as smoothly has the marketing material on their cool website says it will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.