Five Back Visa Card(2017)

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 11, 17, 6:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
Wiki Link
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 17, 7:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 136
Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Blackhawk needs to update the Fiveback page to say the 5% will be credited within 1 week instead of 48 hours. This would buy them some time and keep people from freaking out after 48 hours and 1 second goes by.

It's important to remember that this entire hobby is always up in the air. If not getting 5% back in 48 hours - or even if you never do - freaks you out then you're in the wrong business.
tbradnc is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 1:51 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,402
Expecting the product to work as promised is not the same as freaking out. And 48 hours is more than enough time, considering that transactions are reported instantly and finalized at the end of each day.
Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
Blackhawk needs to update the Fiveback page to say the 5% will be credited within 1 week instead of 48 hours. This would buy them some time and keep people from freaking out after 48 hours and 1 second goes by.

It's important to remember that this entire hobby is always up in the air. If not getting 5% back in 48 hours - or even if you never do - freaks you out then you're in the wrong business.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 2:55 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
Blackhawk needs to update the Fiveback page to say the 5% will be credited within 1 week instead of 48 hours. This would buy them some time and keep people from freaking out after 48 hours and 1 second goes by.

It's important to remember that this entire hobby is always up in the air. If not getting 5% back in 48 hours - or even if you never do - freaks you out then you're in the wrong business.
Agreed.

Eventually they'll get sick and tired of all the calls and just say .... this program, let's nerf it. People need to just chill. If you need the 25 bucks so badly within 48 hours then you have bigger problems to worry about.
tempest347 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 3:13 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Expecting the product to work as promised is not the same as freaking out. And 48 hours is more than enough time, considering that transactions are reported instantly and finalized at the end of each day.
In my opinion, it would be better if people would stand down and give it a week or so before worrying about making a fuss about not getting 5% back in the stated 48 hour timeframe.

If you buy a Simon $500 FB card with a 2% cash back card all of your costs are already covered - it's not like you're going to lose anything but some time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 100% of the people (we know about ) who have waited have eventually gotten their 5%. I had one batch take 5 days but it showed up.

Last edited by tbradnc; Jan 1, 17 at 3:21 pm
tbradnc is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 3:34 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,402
By that logic it would be ok for any vendor not to deliver on their agreements. Your bank stops paying the miserly interest on the 1st of the month -- oh well, at least they haven't removed the principal from the account.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:21 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
By that logic it would be ok for any vendor not to deliver on their agreements. Your bank stops paying the miserly interest on the 1st of the month -- oh well, at least they haven't removed the principal from the account.
No, it's not the same logic at all. It's a bad analogy.

Listen, you do whatever you need to do but I'm telling you - these deals are fragile and impatient people aren't very helpful.

Why can't someone just wait a week? I said above that I've waited 5 days and no one we know of has never gotten their 5%...
tbradnc is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:33 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,197
Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
In my opinion, it would be better if people would stand down and give it a week or so before worrying about making a fuss about not getting 5% back in the stated 48 hour timeframe.

If you buy a Simon $500 FB card with a 2% cash back card all of your costs are already covered - it's not like you're going to lose anything but some time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 100% of the people (we know about ) who have waited have eventually gotten their 5%. I had one batch take 5 days but it showed up.
1) expecting the vendor to upkeep the promise as advertised, is perfectly normal.

2) you dont want people to call only because you are afraid this will kill the gig, not because of any UNSELFISH motivation.

No matter how you whine, it is not going to change the fact that many others would call.

On top of that, assume you have already covered your cost by your example of the 2x card, then why you even bother to go thru the 5B to CVS route? You dont spend your time and effort for nothing, dont you?

3) There is also a risk management involved. We all know this thing is going to die sooner or later. What if it dies while you are still holding a pile of cards "waiting" for the rebates to show up? You would then need to argue with Blackhawk on the missing rebates when Blackhawk may just tell you to take a hike since CVS is no longer participating merchant.
Those who make sure their rebates are returned in the promised time frame, would keep their "loss" to the minimum. Yes, it is a "loss" because there is time and effort involved. I am sure you too, expect to receive the extra. Otherwise you would not be going thru the motion. You can choose not to manage your risk others may not be so naive.
Happy is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
1) expecting the vendor to upkeep the promise as advertised, is perfectly normal.

2) you dont want people to call only because you are afraid this will kill the gig, not because of any UNSELFISH motivation.

No matter how you whine, it is not going to change the fact that many others would call.

On top of that, assume you have already covered your cost by your example of the 2x card, then why you even bother to go thru the 5B to CVS route? You dont spend your time and effort for nothing, dont you?

3) There is also a risk management involved. We all know this thing is going to die sooner or later. What if it dies while you are still holding a pile of cards "waiting" for the rebates to show up? You would then need to argue with Blackhawk on the missing rebates when Blackhawk may just tell you to take a hike since CVS is no longer participating merchant.
Those who make sure their rebates are returned in the promised time frame, would keep their "loss" to the minimum. Yes, it is a "loss" because there is time and effort involved. I am sure you too, expect to receive the extra. Otherwise you would not be going thru the motion. You can choose not to manage your risk others may not be so naive.
Yes, risk management is exactly what I was worried about too. If you wait a week or two to call in, policies could change overnight, and then you would miss out on perhaps hundreds of dollars in cashback you would have gotten had you called in earlier. Whether money was made earlier on prior Five Back gift cards or with a 2% rewards CC is irrelevant because it's independent from the situation at hand.
dealhunter32 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:48 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 136
I'll leave you to your risk management then. I think it's ridiculous.

Since these cards become available I've ran a (very) small fortune through them and have gotten 5% back 100% of the time, almost never within 48 hours.
tbradnc is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:51 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,197
Originally Posted by dealhunter32 View Post
Yes, risk management is exactly what I was worried about too. If you wait a week or two to call in, policies could change overnight, and then you would miss out on perhaps hundreds of dollars in cashback you would have gotten had you called in earlier. Whether money was made earlier on prior Five Back gift cards or with a 2% rewards CC is irrelevant because it's independent from the situation at hand.
Exactly! That argument the poster made is completely illogical.
Happy is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 3:43 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
In my opinion, it would be better if people would stand down and give it a week or so before worrying about making a fuss about not getting 5% back in the stated 48 hour timeframe.

If you buy a Simon $500 FB card with a 2% cash back card all of your costs are already covered - it's not like you're going to lose anything but some time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 100% of the people (we know about ) who have waited have eventually gotten their 5%. I had one batch take 5 days but it showed up.
Nope. I had a batch that went 10 days and no credit. Called in on 12/29, they opened a case, gave me a reference # and said I'd see the credit in 1-2 business days. Not seen it yet but with the holidays, not sure what counts as a business day. Will give it until Wednesday until I call in again.
fafa123 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 3:54 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by fafa123 View Post
Nope. I had a batch that went 10 days and no credit. Called in on 12/29, they opened a case, gave me a reference # and said I'd see the credit in 1-2 business days. Not seen it yet but with the holidays, not sure what counts as a business day. Will give it until Wednesday until I call in again.
I've got 4 cards ($2k) that'll pass 7 days today - I'll call tomorrow if it doesn't show up overnight.
tbradnc is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 4:47 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,197
Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
No, it's not the same logic at all. It's a bad analogy.
Listen, you do whatever you need to do but I'm telling you - these deals are fragile and impatient people aren't very helpful.

Why can't someone just wait a week? I said above that I've waited 5 days and no one we know of has never gotten their 5%..
You have not closely followed the thread. Enough of us who had waited long enough at the beginning and finally concluded there was no reason to wait but called once the requisite time had passed. That was way back in Nov.

Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
I'll leave you to your risk management then. I think it's ridiculous.

Since these cards become available I've ran a (very) small fortune through them and have gotten 5% back 100% of the time, almost never within 48 hours.
You just haven't had your turn of the "bad Luck" yet. Probability would catch you sooner or later.

Originally Posted by fafa123 View Post
Nope. I had a batch that went 10 days and no credit. Called in on 12/29, they opened a case, gave me a reference # and said I'd see the credit in 1-2 business days. Not seen it yet but with the holidays, not sure what counts as a business day. Will give it until Wednesday until I call in again.
Thank you for providing your experience.

Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
I've got 4 cards ($2k) that'll pass 7 days today - I'll call tomorrow if it doesn't show up overnight.
Oh now you decide it is better to call? Why not keep waiting, since you have made enough to cover everything and then some, so missing that little chump change should not be a concern for you to call - essentially putting yourself into the same camp of people whom you criticize.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 2, 17 at 4:55 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 5:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 285
I am having almost none of my CVS $25 credits show up automatically. Waiting 2-5-7 days doesnt seem to matter. If it hasn't shown up by 48 hours I havent had it show up at 72/96/120 hours either. Believe me if I do not have to call and spend 15 minutes with the El Salvador phone representative I wouldnt be doing it

Pretty annoying
Joshy119 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 5:39 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,622
Originally Posted by Joshy119 View Post
I am having almost none of my CVS $25 credits show up automatically. Waiting 2-5-7 days doesnt seem to matter. If it hasn't shown up by 48 hours I havent had it show up at 72/96/120 hours either. Believe me if I do not have to call and spend 15 minutes with the El Salvador phone representative I wouldnt be doing it

Pretty annoying
99

>99.5% of my 5% CVS posted within 24 hours. I waited for 3 weeks on 1 and then called. That posted within 24 hours, probably faster. You should call. There is no reason to not call. Don't listen to the haters. Remember momma said 'there will be haters'
Chelski is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: