Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

As I was driving around to multiple OfficeMax/Office Depot today for the $15 promo, I didn't see any fixed $200 VGC, but saw the $20-$200 variable and the Dining ones.

However, I saw a card I've never seen before called "Five Back Visa Gift Card."

It's suppose to give back 5% on certain stores.

You can read about it at:

https://www.fivebackgift.com

Has anyone seen this before?

The website says you can even get 5% back at Staples. Before you get too excited, it says that gift card purchases are excluded.

I didn't buy any today because I wanted to do some research before I buy since I've read that the Dining Visa has given some people trouble.

Anyone have real world info?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:59 pm

A (mostly inactive or dead at this point) blog called projectendpoint was the only place I read about it at. Didnt seem like much opportunity there
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:56 pm

I've seen this card also. If you want an increased discount on a purchase at one of their 5% stores you could combine cash back. For example buy the card at a grocery store and get a grocery store category bonus on Amex or whatever. Then spend the visa at gap or whatever to get 5% on top of that.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
I gave this one a spin, just for research purposes. Purchased at a grocer for 206.95. Redeemed at CVS on a split tender for VGC. The promised 5% posted back to the card, so I expect to do another split tender and pay that $10 towards another VGC. Profit = $3.05, but takes too much effort to be worth it.

Andyandy

P.S. I expect that the $10 will earn an additional $0.50, but I'll likely abandon that on the card.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
I gave this one a spin, just for research purposes. Purchased at a grocer for 206.95. Redeemed at CVS on a split tender for VGC. The promised 5% posted back to the card, so I expect to do another split tender and pay that $10 towards another VGC. Profit = $3.05, but takes too much effort to be worth it.

Andyandy

P.S. I expect that the $10 will earn an additional $0.50, but I'll likely abandon that on the card.
I agree, even with a 5% card, it's too much work. Might as well go for the $500 vgc at grocery.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:08 pm

You guys are doing it wrong.

Just buy them when you would normally buy other $200 cards... don't just buy them to get the 5%. Consider the 5% a bonus, and use them at CVS to buy VGCs. It's basically a way to increase the amount each year you can buy at CVS for 5% back since WF is most likely dead.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by andyandy

Andyandy

Not sure what you mean by "promised", per the terms, it's not promised on VGCs, but it's great that it does work!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I agree, even with a 5% card, it's too much work. Might as well go for the $500 vgc at grocery.
True but that's a given... However I've only seen it at places that max at $200/card.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:55 pm

Has anybody tried these on Plastiq?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:29 pm

Saw the Five Back VGC today @ oMax while picking up VGC. They're running a sweet promo on GCs right now to reduce the fees if you purchase over a certain amount. Takes manager override, but works just the same.

Perhaps I'll pick up a Five Back next week for research. With purely MS and liquidate I doubt these add any addt'l value as you're never going to be making purchases at the 5% eligible retail outlets. Going to try CVS perhaps to purchase OV, but i'll report back on how that goes as they seem to have rules preventing purchase of VGC with other VGC.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinStone
Saw the Five Back VGC today @ oMax while picking up VGC. They're running a sweet promo on GCs right now to reduce the fees if you purchase over a certain amount. Takes manager override, but works just the same.

Perhaps I'll pick up a Five Back next week for research. With purely MS and liquidate I doubt these add any addt'l value as you're never going to be making purchases at the 5% eligible retail outlets. Going to try CVS perhaps to purchase OV, but i'll report back on how that goes as they seem to have rules preventing purchase of VGC with other VGC.
Little late to the game there bud, but we can't all come in first place.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:43 pm

..so true so true...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:32 pm

Tried to buy them in an OD today, they didn't ring the discount... Didn't complete the purchase without the discount.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:58 am

visa gift card purchase from CVS didnt post any 5% back to fiveback gift cards.

Bought the OV from CVS on aug 25th, till now no sign of cash back
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:03 am

I called Blackhawk Network on the number on the card and they manually re-added the 5% on each of my 6 cards. If you have to call manually each time this is a huge pain in the ....

I thought that maybe it was because I rang up as debit when I bought my VGC at CVS. Today I tried again with another Five Back on a regular purchase and ringing up credit - will see if *that* posts automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.