Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:15 am

I haven't been zoned in, but unless GCM does the $500 ones for 5% off are people really hitting this hard? I guess if you have a simon mall that will let you rack up. The $6.95 fee for $200 ones at OD I guess are somewhat appealing during the $15 off $300 promos?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcblakely
I'm at a loss to understand why you waste your time posting cr@p like this. Do you enjoy restating the obvious and then throwing out minor digs?

"The 5B opportunity helps to cover the cost which most would incur anyway for the chosen currency to earn..."

That doesn't even make any sense.
Because some think only Cash Back is worth to do.

Those who use other currencies would get much much higher value than Cash Back. Though in order to understand this cr@p, you need some intelligence and some analytical ability to do so. Not everyone has that. So pointing out the most obvious MIGHT help some people to realize Cash Back is not the best value even though it does add some extra cash to your wallet.

Do a simple calculation - for a 2% CB, a $10K spend gets you $200 before subtracting the fee. A $10K spend on SPG card gets you 10K pts with the fee being the same as on the CB card. 10K SPG pts often get me needed hotels that are $250 and up. sometimes way up. For the same fee, I get back $250 value the lowest while the CB only gets back $200.
I would pay the fee to generate the 10K SPG pts needed anyway. However with the 5B, now all the fee is recovered from the 5% rebate and even leave you some chump change. Just do a basic math to show youself on how the calculation shows. If you still fail to see it and think that does not make any sense - well, bless your heart, you dont know much about MS at all. But then because you live in HNL where it has much less opp than the mainland, I dont think it is fair to ask you understand the basics like we do.

A real simple example to show the obvious that some may totally not think about. Obviously you dont understand it either because you dont see how the 5B could totally offset the fee to generate the points.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 3, 2017 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:48 am

people that are calling during the 49th hour after a purchase are nuts. wait a few day and it'll show up. use that time to be more productive. i wait 2 weeks until i check my cards. you might even get a surprise.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
people that are calling during the 49th hour after a purchase are nuts. wait a few day and it'll show up. use that time to be more productive. i wait 2 weeks until i check my cards. you might even get a surprise.
It wont post. if you care to read a few posts just yesterday. When the auto posting works, the rebate does not even take 24 hours. However if it does not show up after 48 hours, it will not show up - especially now the system glitch has been fixed. (about your surprise that is no more.)

The call does not take long, and you can always use your speaker phone and do your other stuff while waiting for the rep to pick up.

If you pay attention on the description of the rebate. - you will see now they come in with the description of your previous surprise. The surprise was due to the switch to this particular platform that has had some system glitch. You will NOT see your surprise as that system glitch has been fixed before the X'mas holiday.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:16 am

I haven't had to call and there was a time when everyone wasn't getting the 5Bs, they eventually posted.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I haven't had to call and there was a time when everyone wasn't getting the 5Bs, they eventually posted.
I strongly believe it is locations, even stores specific.

There are enough people have not seen their rebates after waiting 7 to 10 days based on DPs and in other sites you may not even know exist.

Read my post on the CVS thread about a specific store twice in a row the rebates are no show when cards bought after that, and less than 20 hours after purchases, all saw the rebates.

Those who prefer to wait dont need to become whiny or complain on those who prefer to call. To me, the whiners have a selfish but totally unrealistic / naive hope that if people do not call, the gig would last longer. Unfortunately it is a complete wishful thinking. Public posts here probably only account for less than 5% of folks who are exploiting this gig. That would be my guess.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:59 pm

This deals seems to be very good. I make 6% after cost. Not sure how long it's going to last. I have to pay $12K in tuition this time of the year hence I collected some MOs.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbradnc
I absolutely believe calling Blackhawk in 49 hours and putting a set of human eyes on a series of cards that were activated at the same time and showing I'm spending $2k per day at CVS in single, $500 transactions isn't exactly what I would call a smooth move.

Good luck to everyone.
Huh? So Blackhawk would blacklist you ? blacklist your credit cards?

Really dont get the logic but whatever.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
This deals seems to be very good. I make 6% after cost. Not sure how long it's going to last. I have to pay $12K in tuition this time of the year hence I collected some MOs.
You'll have to MS 200k to make that 12k at 6%, good luck. I'm aiming to make 1.2k over the next 6 months, buying a modest 4k a month with simon.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:26 pm

I've said all I have to say on the topic. I'm not on a crusade or trying to score points - i was just stating my opinion on a public forum. Of course people are going to do what they're going to do. I do think there is a place for stating alternate points of views and that's what I was doing. I'm a low key, fly under the radar type - I don't like to attract attention to myself, especially when I'm essentially gaming a hole in a system that clearly wasn't intended to be there. I truly believe if more
people were like this MS opportunities would last a little longer. I'm aware that people disagree with that.

I absolutely believe calling Blackhawk in 49 hours and putting a set of human eyes on a series of cards that were activated at the same time and showing I'm spending $2k per day at CVS in single, $500 transactions isn't exactly what I would call a smooth move.

Good luck to everyone.
Blackhawk isn't paying the 5%
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by joeaseer
You'll have to MS 200k to make that 12k at 6%, good luck. I'm aiming to make 1.2k over the next 6 months, buying a modest 4k a month with simon.
It's not that difficult. And some have already achieved that.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Huh? So Blackhawk would blacklist you ? blacklist your credit cards?

Really dont get the logic but whatever.
We're not going to agree on how to best handle these cards so let's just disagree without being disagreeable going forward, ok? I'm just stating what I think and I don't have any need to be right. We both profit from our activities and that's all that matters, even if we have different philosophies.

I think that people calling and reading the 603 numbers from dozens of cards that need 5% manually credited for single $500 transactions at CVS done within minutes of each other, $2k at a time, for consecutive days, from cards activated in the same batch shines a big spotlight on what we're doing. So no, I'm not worried about getting blacklisted personally - I'm concerned about raising attention to what we're doing as a whole.

To clear up past misunderstandings: I've never said not to call. I suggested waiting a week and then calling. If nothing else, it shows you've given them more than enough time past the stated 48 hours and gives them fewer reasons to not want to help you. I mean what cah they say? You've waited a week, the website says 48 hours, clearly there is a problem.

I'm sitting on $10k that are waiting on 5% to be credited to the card. The oldest is a around a week and the newest are just past 48 hours.

Am I right about all this? I have no idea, but this is how I'm going to handle it. The evolving situation looks like everyone will get their 5% but getting is not going to be as smooth as the marketing material says... My crystal ball is cloudy but I think at some point gift cards will be excluded from 5% cash back. I'm just hoping if that happens it won't be retroactive.

Last edited by tbradnc; Jan 4, 2017 at 6:18 am Reason: typos and grammar
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm sitting on $10k that are waiting on 5% to be credited to the card. The oldest is a around a week and the newest are just past 48 hours.
I've been following this thread and reading all the Hamlet-like breast-beating. To call or not to call, that is the question.

The first few 5Bs that I used at our favorite drugstore credited within 48 hours. But now I've got cards used on 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, and 1/2 that are still waiting for the 5B. So at least I'm not the only one, and I'm guessing that there are others out there who are also waiting. I've been sitting tight but not calling. Perhaps today will be the day!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by joeaseer
bruh thats 20 trips to a simon mall, and 100 days to liquidate at max.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I've been following this thread and reading all the Hamlet-like breast-beating. To call or not to call, that is the question.

The first few 5Bs that I used at our favorite drugstore credited within 48 hours. But now I've got cards used on 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, and 1/2 that are still waiting for the 5B. So at least I'm not the only one, and I'm guessing that there are others out there who are also waiting. I've been sitting tight but not calling. Perhaps today will be the day!
29th is a thursday, two business days from then would be 10am today (the rewards usually post at that time.

30th is one business day, then saturday, sunday, new years day observed, and finally today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.