Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: United
Just called my Simon Mall and confirmed the memo. CVS is out effective 1/20/2017.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wendigo
CVS is out effective 1/20/2017.
That date may be the grace period the manager was talking about for FB cards purchased before today. She did tell me that if I bought the FB cards today, CVS is not a participating merchant anymore. They are giving verbal notices to this effect to all customers purchasing them today.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Flyby01
That date may be the grace period the manager was talking about for FB cards purchased before today. She did tell me that if I bought the FB cards today, CVS is not a participating merchant anymore. They are giving verbal notices to this effect to all customers purchasing them today.
Hmm. I bought today and wasn't so advised. I'd like to see a copy of that memo.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I thought about doing B/P on my Citi cards but two of my friends got shut down last week and both of them think the culprit was b/p which they've been doing consistently for the past 3 months only. both have high CLs >20K, and they've been cycling up to 4x the last 2 yrs but since they started b/p....the hammer just dropped. I'll heed the warning, I'd like to keep my CitiDCs.
Yea I'm a little worried. I used to not do much bill pay but have been doing a lot lately. I'm just curious why they would just shut you down. I mean all bank accounts have bill pay built right in to your account. A lot of people use it as a convenience feature. Do they distinguish the difference between a bill pay from your bank and one from Kmart or Walmart? Are they going to shut you down for too many payments from a regular bank account? I have done over $20k in the past month on each of my 2% cards with a $5000 limit. The opportunity is too good right now to not take advantage of it.

Also I don't understand why they would just close your account for too much spending. I mean they advertise the rewards program and encourage you to spend more. If they don't want to pay out the rewards, just limit how much you can earn. That's what Amex did to me.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Wendigo
Hmm. I bought today and wasn't so advised. I'd like to see a copy of that memo.
There is definitely a lot of conflicting information being passed around even from Simons own people. I wasn't about to take the risk after being warned verbally. I hope for your sake she was wrong.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Flyby01
I don't even know how CVS can distinguish cards sold before today to allow those to get the FB. Looks like the sooner one can liquidate those, the better.
The cards show the date they were loaded. If they were loaded today (or Jan 21), no CVS CB.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
The cards show the date they were loaded. If they were loaded today (or Jan 21), no CVS CB.
I will gladly dispute that if it comes to it. Simon rep did not tell me CVS was removed, in fact she said they would be active until Jan 20th and CVS is still listed on the website as a participant.

I will be the DP - today at CVS I unloaded 2 old GCM cards and 1 Simon FB that I purchased today.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
frankly i m getting a bit tired of doing this cvs runabout, but at the same time cant stop myself lol
I hear you lol, it will almost be a relief. And they are such a pain to unwrap (although Vanillas are a bigger pain). Will be nice to just go back to my normal (unwrapped) Simon VGCs -> WM routine.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by dr_sharp
I will gladly dispute that if it comes to it. Simon rep did not tell me CVS was removed, in fact she said they would be active until Jan 20th and CVS is still listed on the website as a participant.

I will be the DP - today at CVS I unloaded 2 old GCM cards and 1 Simon FB that I purchased today.
I was told starting Jan 20, they are no longer participating with FB.

so I would think last day to use at CVS is Jan 19.

I wouldn't push it that far as most of my purchases show a post date of 1 day after.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:28 pm

I was planning to pick up a bunch more of these Friday as I pass by the SM I usually hit on my weekend ski trips. Will have to try and hit CVS right away and unload as many as I can. I don't usually like to have a stock of Vanillas because I have only 1 reliable recycle center for them, but I might have to risk having 10-15 of them on hand until I can unload to try and get in under the wire here...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Now that this is dead. Who got an extra $500 from their glitch in mid December? I know it wasn't just me.
Are you talking about that double CB postings that you got on several cards perhaps for the total of $500, or is this a different glitch?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I was told starting Jan 20, they are no longer participating with FB.

so I would think last day to use at CVS is Jan 19.

I wouldn't push it that far as most of my purchases show a post date of 1 day after.
Agree. Mine also always posted as a day later. So I think technically the last day for us is January 18
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:42 pm

I guess I can be your comparison DP

I bought a bunch of 5B on Sunday (so, funds loaded at SM on 8 January) without any inkling of this news. And today I bought 4 from CVS
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Agree. Mine also always posted as a day later. So I think technically the last day for us is January 18
Agree also but to play it safe I will probably stop on the 17th - most of mine don't post within a day, usually 2.

But either way I'm not doing anything until we see some DPs for new cards purchased today or later posting the CB.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:46 pm

Agree also but to play it safe I will probably stop on the 17th - most of mine don't post within a day, usually 2.

But either way I'm not doing anything until we see some DPs for new cards purchased today or later posting the CB.
If you purchase on weekend, does it show up 2 days later ?

I never look into that detailed

Agree . You and I be the Guinea pig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.