Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by AzLarry
I paid a $5000 college tuition bill with the temporary SPG personal number a few minutes after auto approval on Friday morning 2/24 and got the 35K bonus posted to my SPG account the following Tuesday 2/28.

The points for the actual purchase haven't posted yet and probably will a few days after my statement closing date of 3/12.

(Yes, I'm going for southwest CP under the wire with the 3/31 deadline of the Marriott C&P counting towards CP. )
Bolding mine. Good luck! The Companion Pass has been huge for me, expires at the end of this year.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by ed765
I have the same issue (the amount for excrow changed), and got the same answer from them, but without the suggestion for two payments.

Cenlar (who now services my mortgage) has made it clear they will not accept two partial payments (and returned them when I tried to pay partially with a CITI check and partially from Plastiq.

I will try two payments. Some months ago I sent in two payments for the same date. Cenlar's records showed one payment for the required amount.

The Plastiq representative claimed they do not combine payments to the same firm on the same day, but the only way I can explain what happened is that either the Plastiq software combined them, or Cenlar's did.

Hopefully, if there is a problem I will learn of it in time to make a direct payment for the total from my bank.
Update: Making two payments on the same day (the previously scheduled one plus a much smaller one for the increase) worked. They were accepted.

The big payment is applied to the principal and interest, and the smaller to the escrow.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:28 pm

FT just wrote plastiq pulled the offer, as of right now, you can still get 2500 fee free dollars using my link, just have to make a pymt of $100 w/ a biz card before 11:59 PST

Initially you should only see 250 FFD, but 2,500 should post on 3/13, they're coming out w/ a (assumed lower) offer on 3/14.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 13, 2017 at 3:33 pm Reason: referral links not permitted
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:15 am

This is the latest

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 13, 2017 at 3:33 pm Reason: referral links not permitted
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jayoxd
any dp's from BoA visa's not posting as cash advance? Specifically the Alaska Airlines card?

The only Visa's in the wiki are Chase
I have the same question
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:25 pm

So I assume Plastiq doesn't care about being used to pay credit card bills, yes? It says any bill for any amount. I have a personal Amex Plat card that I'm not going to make the min spend on (unfortunately just the 40k bonus point public offer). I mainly got the card for the SPG/Hilton perks, Cent lounge, and Sky Club access when flying Delta so knowing I wouldn't meet the min spend wasn't killer to me, but I hate to just leave that on the table... (This was also right before, like a week, the fee increase was announced and the added benefits are worth zero to me... so I'm feeling a little burned since I don't want to cancel the card now right away)

Can I MF spend a little using my CSR card (which I've done before and feel somewhat ok doing in low volume) and then use Plastiq to send a payment to Chase and charge that to the Amex? I've seen a couple data points here on the Amex Plat personal card as posting as a credit charge and NOT getting clawbacks. I'm using the card for some normal day stuff, so it won't just be a list of charges from Plastiq and zero else, but I'll probably only put ~$1000 to $1500 legit charges on it in the next 90 days...

The bonus points are worth ~$400 or so, so I don't mind paying some fees here and there because I'll still come out ahead a bit.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
So I assume Plastiq doesn't care about being used to pay credit card bills, yes? It says any bill for any amount. I have a personal Amex Plat card that I'm not going to make the min spend on (unfortunately just the 40k bonus point public offer). I mainly got the card for the SPG/Hilton perks, Cent lounge, and Sky Club access when flying Delta so knowing I wouldn't meet the min spend wasn't killer to me, but I hate to just leave that on the table... (This was also right before, like a week, the fee increase was announced and the added benefits are worth zero to me... so I'm feeling a little burned since I don't want to cancel the card now right away)

Can I MF spend a little using my CSR card (which I've done before and feel somewhat ok doing in low volume) and then use Plastiq to send a payment to Chase and charge that to the Amex? I've seen a couple data points here on the Amex Plat personal card as posting as a credit charge and NOT getting clawbacks. I'm using the card for some normal day stuff, so it won't just be a list of charges from Plastiq and zero else, but I'll probably only put ~$1000 to $1500 legit charges on it in the next 90 days...

The bonus points are worth ~$400 or so, so I don't mind paying some fees here and there because I'll still come out ahead a bit.
I don't believe you can pay credit card bills with it. That would cause abuse.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
I don't believe you can pay credit card bills with it. That would cause abuse.
Ugh, so much for "any bill" that they so proudly advertise...
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:17 am

My payment to a travel agency just failed, utilizing my Chase Ink Biz card. Seems it is an issue with one-time payments only. Scheduled payments are fine? Weird.

Note from "Parisa" via online chat: "This payment will not go through. We will send you an email if/when you are allowed to make the payment with this particular card. At this time, it is not possible."
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:42 pm

Anyone pay a large (6 or 7 digit figure) bill with Plastiq yet? Did you pay 2% or less and were you able to negotiate with them?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spideysense
Anyone pay a large (6 or 7 digit figure) bill with Plastiq yet? Did you pay 2% or less and were you able to negotiate with them?
You've got a credit card with a >$1M credit line?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
Ugh, so much for "any bill" that they so proudly advertise...
"I don't believe you can..." means nothing in this arena.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Quick question. Turns out that my new apartment building accepts credit cards through their own portal at a 2.5% fee. Is there any reason to go through the hassle of plastiq anymore? I am missing something?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by porphyra
Quick question. Turns out that my new apartment building accepts credit cards through their own portal at a 2.5% fee. Is there any reason to go through the hassle of plastiq anymore? I am missing something?
Occasionally plastiq has promotions that may make it more valuable to use (such as a temporarily reduced rate or referral bonuses). But I'd say in your case you should just pay your apartment bill directly if the fee is the same. Plastiq is generally useful only for paying bills that cannot otherwise be paid with a credit card.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Plastiq currently has a promotion for 0% fee on Mastercard on first two mortgage payments if you schedule 6 payments by 3/31/17. But the promotion has this wording:

*Cancellation of a promotion-qualifying schedule will result in a charge of the waived fee amount. This promotion is limited to select accounts.

So, the way I read this is if I schedule 6, only let the first 2 payments go through for 0% fee, then cancel the remaining 4, that Plastiq will bill me the fee for the first two promotional payments?

In past promotions I have cancelled after the first two reduced cost payments and nothing happened, but I don't remember this t&c language.

Any advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.