Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by st0ne
Just got an email offer "Schedule 6 or more rent or mortgage payments using your Mastercard by March 31, 2017, and we’ll waive the Plastiq fee for the first two payments of the series*. " but fine prints reads "*Cancellation of a promotion-qualifying schedule will result in a charge of the waived fee amount."

So do I got fee charged for first and second payment if I cancel it after third payment?
I would interpret the offer language to say that the answer to your question is yes.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I emailed Plastiq about adding my obscure mortgage bank for their electronic payments. They were keen to do it, but after a month I still don't see it.
Just add it as a new payee. You can do that thru their system.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by memphian901
Just add it as a new payee. You can do that thru their system.
Yes, I've done that and paid out $6k. But I requested they add it as an ACH transfer. Goes in 2-3 days. Much faster and reliable than sending check.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:19 pm

WARNING TO ALL:

I can now answer the question that I posed on the previous page. Do NOT register a secondary/dummy account for the FFD promos if you intend on paying any payee registered to a previous account. My rent payment was just DECLINED.

It's seriously not worth the hassle. I just received an email from my property manager informing me that my rent has yet to be received; only to login and see the DECLINED notice under my payment history- without so much as a courtesy email from Plastiq, my you.

I contacted Chase and found that Plastiq had credited the full amount back to my card as of today, so I now have a negative 3.5K balance on my Chase card; never received the UR points; had my FFD promo withdrawn and my rent for the month is as of now still unpaid...

It's too late to resolve anything with Plastiq this evening but I am seriously hoping this hasn't impacted my primary account.

I may have to just submit payment directly through my building's online system this time instead of Plastiq - they charge approx. $113 whereas I typically pay around $89 in processing fees with Plastiq. I'm really frustrated by this.

PS: I even made sure to register the secondary Plastiq account in a family members name and source payment from one of my cards in which that person is an AU, to be as legit as I could. In other words payment was made with a credit card registered in the same name as the Plastiq account 'owner'... so had I referred my mom to make a rent payment on my behalf, it would have still likely been declined because of the payee. What BS.

Last edited by OliverB; Mar 7, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:36 pm

PS: How should I handle this with respect to my primary account?

Do I even bother to contact Plastiq (as I'd intended) or should I simply login to my original account and try another payment right now? I'm worried that it will bounce again because it was declined through the "dummy" account. Do I bring this to the attn of Plastiq or not?

I had initially planned to contact them tomorrow A.M. and explain that I referred a family member for the FFD promo and said person submitted payment, but I don't want to get my own account frozen or locked out in the process. The odd thing is that there's no warnings or messages on the dummy account; nothing accompanying the payment denial.

I know for certain that a check was never actually cut and sent because I received email confirmation that the payment processed but nothing more. The original email indicated: "We will notify you by email when your check is on its way".

That never occurred, so there is no doubt in my mind that this payment was deliberately canceled by Plastiq and I'm amazed that they would do so simply to deny someone a negligible amount of FFD.

Should I reach out to them tomorrow to get this straightened out?

Should I not say anything and simply login to my original account right now and pay my overdue rent?

:/
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:02 am

If it was me and my rent is overdue, I'd deal with the landlord and write them a personal check. If I have good negotiating skills, they may even waive the fees as one time courtesy if I have a reputation of being a good tenant with excellent payment history.

For me, I'd avoid using the same company I already had problems with to further complicate issues I already have, but that is just me. I don't pay mortgage nor rent anymore but if I did, it would be something I'd make sure I'm careful about when it comes to payments on time.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:37 am

Thanks MB,

I spoke with my bldg manager the other night and it's not a big deal- we've been here almost 5 years and this is the first time we've made a late payment. There was no mention of a late fee. Without going into details, I explained the situation with Plastiq. I'm going to call the company today and ask what happened. I'll report back.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:23 am

For all of those using spouse accounts, why not just select another payee? Wouldn't that fix the problem?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:22 am

UPDATE:

Situation resolved. I jumped the gun and own the responsibility.

Plastiq apparently sent an email to the "dummy" account requesting additional verification. They put a 0.79 charge through on the card and needed confirmation to process the payment. The emails slipped past me and I never responded; hence the payment being declined.

Long story short: it's my fault!

I've never been asked for verification prior and was not expecting it.

According to the service rep. that I just spoke with, this can be requested with any payment, which I find somewhat troubling and unnecessary. Thankfully, I've not been subject to it via my own account as yet. If that changes anytime soon, I may just bid farewell to their services as I don't want to jump through hoops to pay rent.

Btw, I asked whether they would consider reinstating the FFD on my primary acct as a one-time courtesy (with no expectations whatsoever!) given the inconvenience and potential impact of this situation (ie. incurring fees and penalties for late rent) and needless to say, they would not.

I'm sorry if I scared anyone with my earlier posts. I was trying to be helpful by sharing my experience, as it unfolded. Perhaps I should have waited until I had all the facts.

If Plastiq is going to start requiring verification for payments going forward, further slowing down the process, I will cut my ties. I'm willing to occasionally submit to a 2% fee for convenience and efficiency when meeting min. spend on new cards or topping point balances, but not if they start complicating the payment process. Can I ask how many others have experienced issues with payment verification requests? I was under the impression that such verification was a 'one-time' thing, but according to the rep I chatted with, it can apply to any payment at any time.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
For all of those using spouse accounts, why not just select another payee? Wouldn't that fix the problem?
It no longer seems to be an issue or concern based on my recent update, but the short answer to your question is that those of us who pay monthly rent or utility bills and are signing up spousal accounts for FFD promos, would obviously need to use the same payee to make those rent or utility payments. Anyhow, this appears to be a non-issue for now.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I would interpret the offer language to say that the answer to your question is yes.
i know, but does plastiq actually charges fee for early termination of schedule? Any DP?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I wonder if this is why my first "test" payment to my mortgage bank took 6 days to "send". The second payment I made was sent the next day.

Incidentally, I'd recommend everyone do a test payment.
Same for me. 5 days to send the first time, next day the second time.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:13 pm

Is it safe to use Plastiq for meeting minimum spend requirement on AMEX SPG (personal and Biz)?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:05 pm

Student loans

Worked well for my Navient student loans. Processed on Tuesday 3/7, received by Navient on thursday 3/9. Shows as educational expense on spg amex statement. Buying gift of college gift cards at toys r us has lower fees though.
​​​​​
Edit:If someone could add to wiki I don't have access.

Last edited by greyhelm81; Mar 10, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by johndoes
Is it safe to use Plastiq for meeting minimum spend requirement on AMEX SPG (personal and Biz)?
I paid a $5000 college tuition bill with the temporary SPG personal number a few minutes after auto approval on Friday morning 2/24 and got the 35K bonus posted to my SPG account the following Tuesday 2/28.

The points for the actual purchase haven't posted yet and probably will a few days after my statement closing date of 3/12.

(Yes, I'm going for southwest CP under the wire with the 3/31 deadline of the Marriott C&P counting towards CP. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.