Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
For those of you using plastiq to meet minimum spend, why not just use paypal to a pay a friend? Same % fee for cc's.
I can pay bills and meet any minimum spend at the same time. Paypal money to a friend and they have to withdraw and give you that money back. Paypal also locks up funds when moving around money like that on occasion, without warning. Using Plastiq makes things easier.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
I can pay bills and meet any minimum spend at the same time. Paypal money to a friend and they have to withdraw and give you that money back. Paypal also locks up funds when moving around money like that on occasion, without warning. Using Plastiq makes things easier.
Ah. I see. For me, I can just send money to spouse and it deposits right into my bank account. Since it is within the terms of paypal to "send" money to friends and family even without a purchase, why would they lock up the funds?

I do use Plastiq for mortgage payment, but for just moving money, I think I'll do pp.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:20 pm

Ah. I see. For me, I can just send money to spouse and it deposits right into my bank account. Since it is within the terms of paypal to "send" money to friends and family even without a purchase, why would they lock up the funds?

I do use Plastiq for mortgage payment, but for just moving money, I think I'll do pp.
Paypal has locked my account a number of times. I've never used it for manufactured spending, but it still has gotten locked up. They even did it once after I made a ton of sales on eBay - all legit, but for whatever reason a surge of thousands of dollars flagged my account somehow, even though there were eBay sales associated with those transactions. My experiences are not isolated, but I try to keep my money away from eBay due to my experiences with them, even using them in legit fashion.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Paypal has locked my account a number of times. I've never used it for manufactured spending, but it still has gotten locked up. They even did it once after I made a ton of sales on eBay - all legit, but for whatever reason a surge of thousands of dollars flagged my account somehow, even though there were eBay sales associated with those transactions. My experiences are not isolated, but I try to keep my money away from eBay due to my experiences with them, even using them in legit fashion.
Plenty of these kinds of stories. And PayPal is the new scammer method of choice for online transaction.

I've had my account/funds locked before for the most random reasons. None of it valid.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
First use of Plastiq. Will update as things go. I don't see the actual service in the Wiki but I believe it's the same as Wells Fargo Auto AKA Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Wife's BMW payment.

Setup 4/1
Processes 4/3
Claimed Delivery 4/12

Last edited by dinanm3atl; Apr 4, 2017 at 5:47 pm
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:51 pm
DH

I have been using PayPal cash card and PP debit card to pay mortgages and utility bills but apparently Plastiq charges were considered as cash out. Oh well... Now I may have to file a complain with CFPB to access the frozen fund...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Plastiq - Horrible Customer Service

I have been paying my rent with Plastiq since November 2016 to qualify for a targeted promotion for the AA Aviator credit card which requires me to spend $2500 each month from November 2016-April 2017 to earn 30k bonus miles. Everything has been going smoothly until I received a call from my building manager today (March 4) that the check has not arrived. The following information about my payment is listed in my account.

March 20: Card Processed
March 20: Processing
March 21: Sent

If the check was sent on March 21, it should have arrived by now as it doesn't take USPS 14 days to deliver mail.

Since Plastiq doesn't have a phone number where anybody picks up, I explained the situation through their chat support and asked if they can cancel the check and issue a new one. The representative, Paul, stated that they cannot do that, but they can only cancel and refund. I explained that he cannot cancel since doing so will prevent me from getting the credit card bonus, and he didn't seem to care nor is he willing to work with a customer.

As you can see, if Plastiq refunds the check, I would miss my $2500 spend for March, which means that I don't get my 30k bonus miles, which means that the Plastiq fees I paid for the first 4 months are wasted.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is my experience typical or is Paul just a terrible customer service representative?
2. Has anybody else had issues of the check not being received? Was getting the check reissued without making a refund possible?
3. Any recourse to force them to reissue a check? Does anybody know of a working phone number of a Plastiq employee that I can call?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
First use of Plastiq. Will update as things go. I don't see the actual service in the Wiki but I believe it's the same as Wells Fargo Auto AKA Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Wife's BMW payment.

Setup 4/1
Processes 4/3
Claimed Delivery 4/12
*Update

4/4 - My payment for 4/3 did not process. And had another setup for 4/4. Chat rep said IT knew there was an issue for some scheduled payments and they were aware and working on it.

In meantime he manually processed both. Both moved to card processed. And is showing pending in my AMEX account.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by EricUSC
I have been paying my rent with Plastiq since November 2016 to qualify for a targeted promotion for the AA Aviator credit card which requires me to spend $2500 each month from November 2016-April 2017 to earn 30k bonus miles. Everything has been going smoothly until I received a call from my building manager today (March 4) that the check has not arrived. The following information about my payment is listed in my account.

If the check was sent on March 21, it should have arrived by now as it doesn't take USPS 14 days to deliver mail.

Since Plastiq doesn't have a phone number where anybody picks up, I explained the situation through their chat support and asked if they can cancel the check and issue a new one. The representative, Paul, stated that they cannot do that, but they can only cancel and refund. I explained that he cannot cancel since doing so will prevent me from getting the credit card bonus, and he didn't seem to care nor is he willing to work with a customer.

As you can see, if Plastiq refunds the check, I would miss my $2500 spend for March, which means that I don't get my 30k bonus miles, which means that the Plastiq fees I paid for the first 4 months are wasted.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is my experience typical or is Paul just a terrible customer service representative?
2. Has anybody else had issues of the check not being received? Was getting the check reissued without making a refund possible?
3. Any recourse to force them to reissue a check? Does anybody know of a working phone number of a Plastiq employee that I can call?
My guess is the response of 'we cannot do that' is because on their end a person opens the payment request. Processes it. Then a computer spits out a check filled out. Has the Plastiq payment/order ID. And all details. Likely no built-in to mark that check 'void' and make another 'new' one off that payment.

On their end it would be a safety check to cover their asses. Maybe can get a more helpful rep. Or ask a rep for a supervisor/someone with more authority. Since you specifically used for a reason I feel like them cutting a check wouldn't be THAT hard.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

QUESTIONS:

My first payment took 16 days. My second to same bill was 9 or 13 (can't remember). I'd say give it more time. Plastiq was very fast to respond to my emails re payment #1 and offered to cancel, but I waited it out. Honestly, I'd give it till Monday, if you can.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:53 pm

QUESTIONS:

Remember, when playing games like this you should always be able to float that amount of money for awhile. I suggest paying building manager immediately using whatever makes him the most comfortable and is the fastest way to get money to him. Then let Plastiq keep doing it's thing and maybe it'll show up just really really late. Make your building manager aware of that and just ask if he can apply it to next months. Otherwise, you'll probably have to just get a refund.

I made a test payment with Plastiq of $25 for a loan payment and it's 12 business days after they said it was sent and still hasn't been applied to my loan. Based on this and the long times or hit and miss that others have mentioned here, Plastiq is not my make or break tool. I won't rely on them to get payments sent on time and I will not rely on them to hit min spends or bonus. To pad things sure, but depend on it, nope.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:54 pm

My first payment took 16 days. My second to same bill was 9. I'd say give it more time. Plastiq was very fast to respond to my emails re payment #1 and offered to cancel, but I waited it out. Honestly, I'd give it till Monday, if you can.
This as well. It seems the status of the check is en route doesn't mean that day it left with the USPS. The broad range makes it feel like they have one massive pickup on random days. IE every 4th day or something. And then skip weekends. How people have had one payment to the same place take 9, 6 and then 14 days is weird.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:00 am

QUESTIONS:

On the actual payment, I'd pay your rent immediately. To me it sounds like the plastic rep tried to work with you by offering to refund the amount. What others have said is also true--you have to be ready to float a sum if something goes wrong. And in this game, something can go wrong at any point. If the payment doesn't post in the next day or two, yep, you missed your bonus. Deal with it--it's part of the points game. Things go wrong sometimes.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
This service continues to be slow. Rent was sent per email on 3/20. Still waiting...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:10 am

QUESTIONS:

I don't think plastiq is doing anything wrong. Pay your landlord directly with another payment. Get your miles and use them. Then ask plastiq to process a refund if the check never clears. You are the one playing games, rep is following procedures, and offering your money back. They are slow, but they do it to be safe from chargebacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.