Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by chaser123
I don't think plastiq is doing anything wrong. Pay your landlord directly with another payment. Get your miles and use them. Then ask plastiq to process a refund if the check never clears. You are the one playing games, rep is following procedures, and offering your money back. They are slow, but they do it to be safe from chargebacks.
What are you talking about? I'm not the one playing games. I scheduled 6 automatic payments through Plastiq and this one did not arrive on time. Am I the one at fault or are they? They are the ones that should be accommodating.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EricUSC
What are you talking about? I'm not the one playing games. I scheduled 6 automatic payments through Plastiq and this one did not arrive on time. Am I the one at fault or are they? They are the ones that should be accommodating.
In Plastiq's defense, they are only 1 of 3 parties involved in "sent" checks: Plastiq, USPS, and Payee. So there are lots of places where the check can get hung up. I was pretty frustrated at the 2 week mark with my first payment, but I was able to hold out and 2 days later it posted. Maybe give it a few more days.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:04 am

Sure you are. You use Plastiq to get a points bonus. You rely on it to get the bonus. You aren't worried about paying your rent, you are worried about getting points. And--you are talking about Plastiq in the Manufactured Spending" sub forum on a travel BBS. Suck it up. Things go wrong sometimes.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
They are – they're offering to fully refund your money. If your manager is going to charge you a late fee for paying the rent today via another method (and it doesn't sound like he is), then perhaps you can talk to Plastiq about reimbursing you for the late fee. Other than that, I can't see what else they'd owe you.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:14 pm

Using Plastiq to make normal payments is not playing games. In this case you should be happy they'll refund you right away when you ask and you can arrange payment via a more direct method, OR if you have the time, have Plastiq send another check on the current date.

You're playing games when you refuse to accept a refund and new payment issued because that will screw up you getting a bonus on some card.

It's fine to pick up some extra points while doing this, but if you are causing a fuss with Plastiq after they have offered a refund with no questions asked, then that's playing a game. Float the money by paying your rent some other way, either get the refund or sit on it and maybe in a week the check will hit your property manager, then you can ask him to hold it till next month to cash it, or cash it now and apply that to next months rent, or maybe if you're in good standing and he's a super nice guy, have him sign it over to you and cash it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:16 pm

Contacted them today about a payment that has gone 15 business days from their "sent" date. Chat was pleasant and direct to the point. They offered to cancel it right away or we could wait longer. Since it's an extra payment toward a loan, I don't really care how long it takes to get there so I said I'll give it another week or so. They did mention it should only take 5 to 7 days, so this isn't "normal".

That said, for my first test payment, I sure as hell would NOT rely on them to get payments made on time. Extra payments, maybe I'll still hold out hope for that, but to "manage my bills" and earn extra points, no way.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by acarney
Ugh, so much for "any bill" that they so proudly advertise...
See the Terms of Service:

4 Acceptable Use
4.1 Restricted Activities
In connection with your use of the Services, you agree to not engage in any of the following "Restricted Activities":
G. Make payments to repay certain unsupported debt types, which may include but are not limited to credit card balances or uncollateralized loans;
Emphasis added.

That said... what have you got to lose by trying?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
See the Terms of Service:

Emphasis added.

That said... what have you got to lose by trying?
Whoops, that sounds like what my loan is... it's just a unsecured personal loan I took to pay down credit cards and add another data point to my credit history. (Not that I had that much credit card to pay down, mainly wanted a deeper credit history...)
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
For those thinking of paying their taxes with their CC. Why would you use Plastiq at 2.50% when you can just go through the IRS website and get charged 1.87%. THis will be for a SPG card that I need 8k spending on.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
For those thinking of paying their taxes with their CC. Why would you use Plastiq at 2.50% when you can just go through the IRS website and get charged 1.87%. THis will be for a SPG card that I need 8k spending on.
Keep in mind these are all 3rd party. It's not through the IRS.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still a good question, and I haven't seen a good answer for it.

Lack of knowledge maybe?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
On occasion it makes sense when Plastiq has promotional deals. Also if you have a cc that gives 3x and you don't have a minimum spend to meet.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by noassumptions
On occasion it makes sense when Plastiq has promotional deals. Also if you have a cc that gives 3x and you don't have a minimum spend to meet.
Which cc's give 3x for plastiq (and not for say, pay1040.com)?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Holy Schnikes! The emails from them about taxes just keep coming.

We get it, Plastiq.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Which cc's give 3x for plastiq (and not for say, pay1040.com)?
OK, you're right about that. I'm not suggesting using Plastiq unless maybe you have reached the limit of how many payments are allowed by the regular IRS payment companies. I have not had problems with them, whereas Plastiq has at times been slow or worse, as witnessed in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.