Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:41 pm

This may be a huge no-no, but I've never really looked at Plastiq before. It looks like just about anybody can accept Plastiq payments, as long as you set up an account with them. Has anybody looked into accepting payments, and letting your spouse/family/whatever pay you in order to meet minimum spends? I've got a legit business I could use to sign up if necessary. Just not sure if it's a bad idea and will get you shut down, or if they couldn't care less as long as they're getting their 2.5%.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bobert24
This may be a huge no-no, but I've never really looked at Plastiq before. It looks like just about anybody can accept Plastiq payments, as long as you set up an account with them. Has anybody looked into accepting payments, and letting your spouse/family/whatever pay you in order to meet minimum spends? I've got a legit business I could use to sign up if necessary. Just not sure if it's a bad idea and will get you shut down, or if they couldn't care less as long as they're getting their 2.5%.
There has to be a legitimate business reason for you to pay money to anyone and they do check from what i heard. You would have to be able to provide documentation on the business relationship, you cannot just say you owe her money. At least this is what I found here from looking online, as some other people have had the same question in another forum.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
I had a payment on hold until they could verify the bill. Mine was a real bill so they released it the next day but I don't know what would happen if they thought the bill wasn't real.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
I had a payment on hold until they could verify the bill. Mine was a real bill so they released it the next day but I don't know what would happen if they thought the bill wasn't real.
I wonder if this is why my first "test" payment to my mortgage bank took 6 days to "send". The second payment I made was sent the next day.

Incidentally, I'd recommend everyone do a test payment.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:18 am

So I see the CRA as successful payee. What about Revenu Quebec? I found it wasn't possible a year ago, I wonder if this hasn't changed?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:58 pm

Does anyone know if Plastiq will give 2x on Amex Blue for Business?

The terms and conditions say:
Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not receive additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through third-parties (including resellers and online marketplaces) or through a third-party payment account will not receive additional points.

Is Plastiq considered a third-party payment account?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Fa Hz
So I see the CRA as successful payee. What about Revenu Quebec? I found it wasn't possible a year ago, I wonder if this hasn't changed?
I believe CRA has an agreement with Plastiq (they even advertise it on the CRA website). Payments are made electronically, rather than by cheque and the Plastiq site prompts you for what type of payment it is (instalments, income tax balance, GST payment, etc.). I don't believe Revenu Quebec has any such arrangement. However, Plastiq claims that you can pay almost anyone, so you might be able to have them send a cheque. I'd just be a bit concerned about sending it without a remittance voucher, especially if you have more than one type of payment to make (i.e. 2016 balance vs. 2017 instalments).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Fa Hz
There has to be a legitimate business reason for you to pay money to anyone and they do check from what i heard. You would have to be able to provide documentation on the business relationship, you cannot just say you owe her money. At least this is what I found here from looking online, as some other people have had the same question in another forum.
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
And I'm sure the scrutiny would be doubled (or more) if the payer and payee(/business owner) had the same last name. Looks like that option is a no-go. Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I believe CRA has an agreement with Plastiq (they even advertise it on the CRA website). Payments are made electronically, rather than by cheque and the Plastiq site prompts you for what type of payment it is (instalments, income tax balance, GST payment, etc.). I don't believe Revenu Quebec has any such arrangement. However, Plastiq claims that you can pay almost anyone, so you might be able to have them send a cheque. I'd just be a bit concerned about sending it without a remittance voucher, especially if you have more than one type of payment to make (i.e. 2016 balance vs. 2017 instalments).
Thank you! My payments are simple, i will look into that
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:07 pm

I just got approved for a new Ink Preferred with Chase and I was wondering if anyone has tried it out with Plastiq, and if so, could you please let us know how it codes?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Chase Ink Bold, Amex Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
I just got approved for a new Ink Preferred with Chase and I was wondering if anyone has tried it out with Plastiq, and if so, could you please let us know how it codes?
Just used CIP to pay mortgage via Plastiq - codes as Purchase.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:45 pm

Ace! Someone should update the Wiki with this info.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Interested in this service.

It seems for items that need a check to be cut(IE Rent, Mortgage, ETC) some advanced planning is definitely needed to avoid being late? IE You cannot just login on due date and click "Pay". Charges AMEX and it is marked as paid.

Seems up to 15 days sometimes? Do I need to actually create an account to login and see more detailed info from Plastiq?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Interested in this service.

It seems for items that need a check to be cut(IE Rent, Mortgage, ETC) some advanced planning is definitely needed to avoid being late? IE You cannot just login on due date and click "Pay". Charges AMEX and it is marked as paid.

Seems up to 15 days sometimes? Do I need to actually create an account to login and see more detailed info from Plastiq?
Yes. I highly recommend that you send a test payment of $1 first. My first mortgage (test) payment of $1 took something like 16 days to reach the bank. The second (real) payment was processed on Feb 9 and I think was received by bank yesterday (Feb 18) but hasn't posted yet. So down from 16 days to 9.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by coffee18
The funny thing is that in the 17 days since I submitted payment, I hit the bonus for the Amex Hilton Surpass, and reversing the charge for this rent will put me under the threshold.

Hope there's no clawback/FR.
I also had to cancel my mortgage payment on Plastiq after waiting 29 days - and this is after using it on mortgage 7 prior times with no issues. Maybe something changed in their processes in 2017? I sent a message yesterday (Sunday) to cancel but haven't heard back anything yet. This will also put my under the threshold for my Citi AA after earning the bonus. Sigh...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.