Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Anyone else have trouble at a Simon today? I bought some GC's they all got rejected so I called and they had never been activated. I went back and was told Simon was having an IT problem today and the GC's never got loaded .

Was this local to SD?
Rejected where? During liquidation? The last few times I bought from Macerich, they told me it could take up to 24hrs for activation because their servers are so bogged down from the holiday sales. Simon might be similar. Does your receipt show that they were activated?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:44 pm

Anyone else have trouble at a Simon today? I bought some GC's they all got rejected so I called and they had never been activated. I went back and was told Simon was having an IT problem today and the GC's never got loaded .

Was this local to SD?
Definitely had one that worked fine. Now I have to go and check rest of them because of this post.... Sigh....
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold

Was this local to SD?
I bought some on Tuesday in Las Vegas. Checked on the phone and balances were there. I deposited two at Kate today with no issue.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I just had a second batch rejected by Simon. This time I didn't drive to WM to find out. I get the receipt, waited a few minutes and called them all in. Each card said it had not been activated and advised I "return to the place of purchase."

I called AMEX (card I paid with) they said they had approved the charge but it had been withdrawn by Simon. Because the charge was retracted by Simon it can not be put back through, I will have to make another transaction, so the GC's I have are useless.

Both times the purchase was 4X$500, and both times my CC approved it and Simon was the issue. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ity turns out I did still have some non-chip CCs, so I went to Simon mall today and bought 19 $500s, then headed toward Milwaukee to visit my mother. The first WM I went to had run out of MO blanks and neither cashier knew how to put a new roll in. They were waiting and hoping that someone in the know would show up, but they were saying at least 20 minutes plus there was another customer waiting for 6 MOs, so I went on to the next WM.

There I was met with suspicion by the cashier who apparently had never dealt with GCs. She called over another cashier who also didn't know how to do the transaction but allowed me to try a few swipes. The swipes were rejected -- I'm sure she was hitting the wrong key, but I don't know which key she should have hit, so I just left. The third place let me have 2 MOs, and I was able to get MOs on the way back home at the first two WMs and then the one in Madison, so it worked out with a little extra effort.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:20 am

I can also confirm the new $3000 chip card limit rule - my guy today said they received an email on 12/5 saying that chip cards have a $3000 limit, non-chip cards $10000 limit. I asked him if I could use multiple chip cards to get around $3000 and his response was that he'd do it for me personally since he knew me but if I got a different rep behind the counter and they followed the rules then they should only allow me 1 $3000 chip card per day.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by ManImCool
I can also confirm the new $3000 chip card limit rule - my guy today said they received an email on 12/5 saying that chip cards have a $3000 limit, non-chip cards $10000 limit. I asked him if I could use multiple chip cards to get around $3000 and his response was that he'd do it for me personally since he knew me but if I got a different rep behind the counter and they followed the rules then they should only allow me 1 $3000 chip card per day.
I'll 3rd it - my lady told me last night that chip cards have a $3K limit, then we both laughed and said "aren't all cards chip cards now?" She processed $5K for me anyway. She also told me that their chip reader isn't going to be active until February so not sure why the email came out now. Must have been from corporate.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I received a call today from my Simon Mall informing me that because they're having problems with the chip reader part of their new terminals, they won't be accepting chip cards for purchases above $3000 until next Wednesday when they expect to have the problem fixed.
I'm a bit confused by these 3 posts. (I quoted post #2322, and the 2 prior posts are #2331 and #2332.) Is the chip card limit of 3K temporary, or will it be an ongoing rule?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by ManImCool
You'd think it would be the opposite with $10k on chip cards and $3k on basic cards since the chip cards are suppose to be more "secure".
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
My card was a chipped card, but my transaction was only $2K. I'll try again today and report back. There are two other Simon malls in SD area, but I don't want to drive to either of them
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My card has chip and no issues buying 19 cards with $500 each on Friday. I think it is a YMMV issue.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skitch23
You'd think it would be the opposite with $10k on chip cards and $3k on basic cards since the chip cards are suppose to be more "secure".
The problem is that the chip readers on the new terminals can't yet read the chip, so they have to be swiped, thus negating the security the chip is supposed to provide.

GetawaysRus, I can't speak for other malls, but at my Simon mall they told me specifically next Wednesday. Who knows if they'll make the deadline.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:30 pm

Question...

Hello, I am new to this SM GF....I have British Airways CC and trying to achieve the limit....Once the limit is achieved not sure which CC to get to get the most benefit with SM GF....Any suggestions????

Thanks..

Originally Posted by redtop43
I got a rather remarkable call today.

Backstory:

A month ago I bought $2K worth of cards as a test.
Then I went to a different, more convenient mall, and bought $9K. When I went in, they suggested I fill out a corporate form and submit it for approval.
Last week I was on vacation and went to two malls very far from home and was allowed, on the spot, to buy $12.5K cards as a corporate account, at the corporate price.
I redeemed almost all the above cards for MO as WM.
Then this week I went into the second mall, the one close to home, where I had submitted the corporate form and was allowed to buy only $10K at the consumer price.

This morning I got a call from someone at Simon Corporate (whose name I will omit). She said "We know you're doing manufactured spending, so we will be happy to sell you $10K a day, 7 days a week, at the personal price, but we can't sell on a corporate basis if you're doing manufactured spending because it's a personal activity." She used the phrase "manufactured spending" 3-4 times.

So this should add quite a lot of clarity. You don't have to stay under the radar if you're doing it as an individual.

It's possible that if I had been more subtle, like spreading around the MO purchases and doing it less frequently, they wouldn't have realized, but to me that would defeat the purpose. I don't want to carry an inventory and find multiple locations for MO's - I just want to walk into WM and walk out.

If anyone has issues of getting shut down for personal purchases, PM and and I'll share the individual's name. She was really nice and on the ball. She said they are limited by federal regulations. (Unlike WM, where "federal regulations" are whatever they decide they might be that day at that store, I actually believe this lady.)
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by nishjain1
Hello, I am new to this SM GF....I have British Airways CC and trying to achieve the limit....Once the limit is achieved not sure which CC to get to get the most benefit with SM GF....Any suggestions????

Thanks..
Keep on reading for one week, one month or several months and you'll get the idea ^
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by nishjain1

Thanks..
Use the one from Deerfield Union Maple Bank of Arrogot Surety & Stocks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.