Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Yes, definitely call the mall. Ask if everything is good to go...sometimes employees of the kiosk will just not show up or be late. Sometimes they will have issues with the POS. Also, if you ever want to do any kind of volume, some Simon malls will break corporate policy and disallow larger purchases if they don't know you. So, if you call and are told you can't buy as much as you want, you'll need to speak with the marketing manager during normal business hours to get "approved".
Good advice all around, it's been a while since I went out of my way to go somewhere *just* for a SM. I've called ahead once to double check that they had cards in stock before I took a 10 minute detour, and so they could write out all the silly sleeves they insist on handing out for me ahead of time.

I've had one mall where the manager refused to go over 3k, which was super lame. The guy running the sales counter just told me she's a bit of a PITA and that next time I come back, she probably wouldn't be there and he can do the max.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
CALL THE MALL! You not only want to know where GCs are sold, but also what hours they're sold. Don't assume that you can buy GCs at any hour that the mall's open - I've found that some malls have very limited sales hours....
Also, you want to make sure they have enough Visas on hand. I've experienced SMs running out of Visas on the weekend because of MSers before me. That's why I call when I MS on Sundays.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Good advice all around, it's been a while since I went out of my way to go somewhere *just* for a SM. I've called ahead once to double check that they had cards in stock before I took a 10 minute detour, and so they could write out all the silly sleeves they insist on handing out for me ahead of time.

I've had one mall where the manager refused to go over 3k, which was super lame. The guy running the sales counter just told me she's a bit of a PITA and that next time I come back, she probably wouldn't be there and he can do the max.
Was this a guest services manager or the marketing manager? In either scenario, escalate. Unless they have some actual physical limitation as AlohaDave mentioned, they don't have a choice. They have to follow corporate policy and cannot make up their own rules. If it's a guest services manager, escalate to the marketing manager. If it's the marketing manager, you'll have to escalate to corporate.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Also, you want to make sure they have enough Visas on hand. I've experienced SMs running out of Visas on the weekend because of MSers before me. That's why I call when I MS on Sundays.
The lady at my primary SM said she would go get more from the mall manager if she didn't have enough. So it seems unlikely the SM would be completely dry.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Was this a guest services manager or the marketing manager? In either scenario, escalate. Unless they have some actual physical limitation as AlohaDave mentioned, they don't have a choice. They have to follow corporate policy and cannot make up their own rules. If it's a guest services manager, escalate to the marketing manager. If it's the marketing manager, you'll have to escalate to corporate.
It was NBD as I had two more malls on my way home anyways, not worth my time. If I go to that one again, and the same happens, I may escalate. I believe it was just guest services manager. She was busy with a conference call and seemed somewhat disdainful towards having to deal with anything.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I, and the cashiers, find it funny (and annoying) that they always have to call for approval but they know the manager will say yes. This is especially crazy when you have a regular. They have a book of pre-filled sheets. I just sign my name in 2 places and date it. Those people shouldn't need a manager approval every time... Not to mention that when I go in is in the evening. Most times they have to call 2-3 people before someone answers.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I, and the cashiers, find it funny (and annoying) that they always have to call for approval but they know the manager will say yes. This is especially crazy when you have a regular. They have a book of pre-filled sheets. I just sign my name in 2 places and date it. Those people shouldn't need a manager approval every time... Not to mention that when I go in is in the evening. Most times they have to call 2-3 people before someone answers.
Mine will send a text message if no one answers but recently the main lady stopped calling. I sign in two places as well and they fill out the rest of the sheet. The suspense is like waiting for the let's make a deal person to respond with an offer. Mine is just a folder with my info on it. Luckily my SM doesn't force all the terms/envelopes on me.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Chelski
Mine will send a text message if no one answers but recently the main lady stopped calling. I sign in two places as well and they fill out the rest of the sheet. The suspense is like waiting for the let's make a deal person to respond with an offer. Mine is just a folder with my info on it. Luckily my SM doesn't force all the terms/envelopes on me.
Depending on who is working, they won't do all the envelopes for me either. Even the CS manager who is sometimes there says during the day, they have to do it for the top level managers but at night, they skip that with their regulars.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Ugh... SM near me is now allowing only $300/card. Says this is a new corporate policy.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Ugh... SM near me is now allowing only $300/card. Says this is a new corporate policy.
Escalate it.

https://www.simon.com/giftcard/faq.a...tcard=1#gen_04
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
I just purchased 2,500$ about a half hour ago
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: Several dozen
Simon sez there may be another POS "upgrade" rolling out so hang onto your hats as these "upgrades" have effected our Christmas shopping in the past. Have to question the wisdom of any retailer rolling out a POS "upgrade" between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Simon sez there may be another POS "upgrade" rolling out so hang onto your hats as these "upgrades" have effected our Christmas shopping in the past. Have to question the wisdom of any retailer rolling out a POS "upgrade" between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Thanks for the heads up.

Do you really consider them to be a retailer? I'd bet that >95% of their business is MSers.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Has your SM already been upgraded to the new POS systems? Over the past several weeks the SM in my area have all been going through these for the Chip and Signature functionality. I would speculate (and that is all this is) it to be some type of limit on the amount you can purchase during the holiday. I know they have been receiving memos constantly regarding checking ID and CC fraud around the holiday.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
Has your SM already been upgraded to the new POS systems? Over the past several weeks the SM in my area have all been going through these for the Chip and Signature functionality. I would speculate (and that is all this is) it to be some type of limit on the amount you can purchase during the holiday. I know they have been receiving memos constantly regarding checking ID and CC fraud around the holiday.
Florida Mall has the new POS. It's not significantly worse than the old one. I hate how they always want to call the damn card and auth it for $1 before running it for the real charge, I have a sneaking suspicion that doing so actually sets off fraud triggers as this is the ONLY mall I have EVER gotten a declined charge at (after they got auth on the $1)..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.