Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I found out last Saturday that my go to AutoZone has removed all third party GCs including fixed and variable vanillas I was told by cashier all GCs except their own store GCs taken off the racks beginning of April. I was hoping it was only that store but same thing with the other AutoZone. Hopefully, this is just temporary and they sell third party GCs again.
Confirmed similar situation in CA. My regular store said they have stopped selling all non-AZ GC's. A second store I had not been to before said they just received a memo listing all non-AZ CG's. Supposedly it said there was some major problem with the "system" and they were to take them off the racks. I nearly shed a tear watching him pull down the cards.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
CO Update-went to AZ that i Bought one on Monday, no rack - I asked and they said no more GC of any kind

Inre-Previous post: I opened case w incomm where the GC activation “failed” sent pics of receipts cards etc. activated within two days - liquidated at krogy below

Local flavor of Krogys bought two USB V $500 (5.95) fee on Tuesday no prob - wu bau two vgc 500 one 1k mo .69
fee

Wally fee.88 last few weeks but otherwise bau

Found vgc $4.95 fee var 500 - limit 1 per day - on base- aafes
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:57 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Local in NJ/PA area.
Whole Food: only up to $200
ShopRite: only up to $200
Wegmans: $100?
McCaffrey: $200 max
7-11, $500 GC. Not sure about buying with CC. Bought 2 $1.50 items to test the category
Weiss, $500 GC, but cash only
Auto Zone, nothing
CVS and Walgreen, $500 GCs. $500 daily max.

Bought $500 OnVanilla from Toy R Us. But it is gone. CVS and Walgreen may have them, but they are not grocery stores that I like to do.

Last edited by RedSun; Apr 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 7:13 am

Food Lion in Augusta, GA has $500 variable load VGC (metabank), but they wouldn’t allow purchase with CC.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:59 pm

Can you still buy VGC's at Meijer's with a GC? Also, do they sell $500 VGCs?
Old May 25, 2018, 12:42 am

At my local Meijer (Cincinnati), they carry $200 vgc and $500 mcgc. I don't know if you can buy them with a gift card.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:36 pm

was trying to buy 1 $400 Disney GC at Best Buy with Chase Pay and the clerk couldn't do it. The manager said that CA law requires <$200 on each gc. I end up buying 2* $200 DGC and it went through in 1 beep.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
CO Update-went to AZ that i Bought one on Monday, no rack - I asked and they said no more GC of any kind

Inre-Previous post: I opened case w incomm where the GC activation “failed” sent pics of receipts cards etc. activated within two days - liquidated at krogy below

Local flavor of Krogys bought two USB V $500 (5.95) fee on Tuesday no prob - wu bau two vgc 500 one 1k mo .69
fee

Wally fee.88 last few weeks but otherwise bau

Found vgc $4.95 fee var 500 - limit 1 per day - on base- aafes
Could someone decode "bau" and "wu" ? Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:44 am

BAU = Business As Usual
WU = Western Union
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:29 pm
CDO
Suspended

Does Lowe's sell $500 vgc's?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:20 am
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDO
In case anyone is wondering they do sell gc's
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by CDO
In case anyone is wondering they do sell gc's
I remember walking through Lowe's and seeing the gift card rack, and remembering that the Lowe's credit card gives 5% cashback for items bought there. CHA-CHING!!! But when I looked into the details, the Lowe's card cashback excludes gift cards. Oh well, at least Amex Offers still work there.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:43 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
I remember walking through Lowe's and seeing the gift card rack, and remembering that the Lowe's credit card gives 5% cashback for items bought there. CHA-CHING!!! But when I looked into the details, the Lowe's card cashback excludes gift cards. Oh well, at least Amex Offers still work there.
There's a new amex offer on business cards, check your offers
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by CDO
There's a new amex offer on business cards, check your offers
Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by CDO
no

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.