Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Also posted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...765.html#11463

Has anyone noticed that the newer Vanilla VGCs dont have a barcode and none of the numbers match the packaging?

The older VVGCs have a 'hole' in the packaging so when CSRs scans the barcode, its the barcode on the card.

The newer ones, barcode is on packaging.
Did you check the expiration date? Sometimes scammers put the old style on the racks so you buy them....but they aren't really new.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Did you check the expiration date? Sometimes scammers put the old style on the racks so you buy them....but they aren't really new.
yes, I was able to liquidate.

I checked all the VGCs at CVS and looks like they are converting to the newer package where the barcode is on the package instead of the card itself.

old card on top, new on bottom

new packaging on left, old on right

Last edited by lumangoy; Dec 7, 2016 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:15 pm

Just received a $400 VGC I ordered from Target.com as a test (3x earning on AT&T Access More card). It says it is issued by MetaBank and distributed and serviced in InComm Financial Services. Does that mean it's likely a no-go at both WM and PO? Thought the OneVanilla/Vanilla restriction at WM had something to do with InComm....
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Just received a $400 VGC I ordered from Target.com as a test (3x earning on AT&T Access More card). It says it is issued by MetaBank and distributed and serviced in InComm Financial Services. Does that mean it's likely a no-go at both WM and PO? Thought the OneVanilla/Vanilla restriction at WM had something to do with InComm....
No go at WM. Never tried PO.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:43 am

7-11 dead again or just a glitch today? Can someone confirm?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Clueless12
No go at WM. Never tried PO.
Metas no go at PO.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy
7-11 dead again or just a glitch today? Can someone confirm?
I was able to buy a OV VGC with a CC there today. This is the first time I have tried to buy a VGC at 7-11 since the spring. Not sure if this is location dependent or not. It seems the chip readers are working now so that might have something to do with it.

Anyone else having the same success?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by lumangoy
yes, I was able to liquidate.

I checked all the VGCs at CVS and looks like they are converting to the newer package where the barcode is on the package instead of the card itself.

old card on top, new on bottom

new packaging on left, old on right
There is a number on the back of the card (ABOVE the barcode) that matches the number on the outside of the package.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. I recently bought a card where the number on the card did NOT match the number on the package. It was a scam - someone had switched the cards out. Absolutely no sign of it on the package, but the glue on the back was extra sticky. Now, I open the package at the register and match that number to the package before swiping my credit card.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lavag
There is a number on the back of the card (ABOVE the barcode) that matches the number on the outside of the package.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. I recently bought a card where the number on the card did NOT match the number on the package. It was a scam - someone had switched the cards out. Absolutely no sign of it on the package, but the glue on the back was extra sticky. Now, I open the package at the register and match that number to the package before swiping my credit card.
I checked multiple times. There are no numbers that match the packaging and card.

For One Vanillas, the numbers match.

The above cards are Vanillas.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, HH Plat, IHG Plat, JB Mosaic
Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I was able to buy a OV VGC with a CC there today. This is the first time I have tried to buy a VGC at 7-11 since the spring. Not sure if this is location dependent or not. It seems the chip readers are working now so that might have something to do with it.

Anyone else having the same success?
I have been buying regularly at 3 different locations with no problems.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:05 pm

Finally got around to liquidating this... worked fine at PO. Earned 3x on Citi AT&T card too. Decent way to MS TYP at .05cpp (plus MO fees) for anyone interested.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:08 pm

Finally got around to liquidating this... worked fine at PO. Earned 3x on Citi AT&T card too. Decent way to MS TYP at .05cpp (plus MO fees) for anyone interested.
Did you happen to try going through a portal when you purchased it and if so did it track?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by lavag

I have never seen anything but the "new" packaging at any of my local CVS and Walgreen's (now dead for CC). Ie. bar code on the package and not on the card.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by madbrain
I have never seen anything but the "new" packaging at any of my local CVS and Walgreen's (now dead for CC). Ie. bar code on the package and not on the card.
I noticed that for the One Vanilla ones, the numbers match package and card.

Vanilla ones dont match. They were NOT fraudulent or swapped as I was able to use the cards.

Is that what you noticed?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
Did you happen to try going through a portal when you purchased it and if so did it track?
I used Topcashback. It tracked but at $0. It's still "pending" - if it ends up paying out anything I'll update but I doubt it will, as I believe the TCB terms exclude GCs at Target.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.