Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Needless to say I am incredibly annoyed. I just downgraded my EDP to ED yesterday because I was unable to find any grocery stores that would sell $500 VGC with credit card anymore.

I am standing in Stop and Shop right now and I see a big sign that says "they are gladly accepting CC for Visa, MC, and AMEX GCs.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Looking back over my spreadsheet, my data points are from Exxons that have some kind of convenience store attached to it, like a Circle K or a 7-Eleven.

If you find this is still true in 2016 and consistent, I'd love to hear about it.
I visited two Exxons in central MD where I have positive data points from 2015. One does not appear to sell prepaids anymore. The other was out of stock (but in my experience they were almost always out of stock).

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Giant (DC/MD/VA) now accepts CC for GC - a change from their previous cash or debit only policy. I've updated the wiki to reflect. Made my month!! Now time to reallocate some credit limit back to my AmEx BCP lol. And possibly get a PRG...
I can confirm this at all three Giants in central MD I visited today. Truly a revolutionary change!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Needless to say I am incredibly annoyed. I just downgraded my EDP to ED yesterday because I was unable to find any grocery stores that would sell $500 VGC with credit card anymore.

I am standing in Stop and Shop right now and I see a big sign that says "they are gladly accepting CC for Visa, MC, and AMEX GCs.
Huh??? Stop & Shop??? Where?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:44 am

Call them up and see if you can switch back.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Call them up and see if you can switch back.
Done and done.

Now I need to figure out what my strategy is that I have this goldmine back...

Almost makes me wish I had asked for a retention on my PRG instead of just cancelling it. After maxing out $6k on EDP I need to do some thinking...
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:34 pm

Done and done.

Now I need to figure out what my strategy is that I have this goldmine back...

Almost makes me wish I had asked for a retention on my PRG instead of just cancelling it. After maxing out $6k on EDP I need to do some thinking...
Well, obviously a nice fat personal plat signup bonus and then downgrade to PRG.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
Well, obviously a nice fat personal plat signup bonus and then downgrade to PRG.
Haha if only that were an option ;-). I'm thinking maybe opening a green and hunting for an upgrade bonus. Might as well try to open an OBC while I'm at it.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:47 am

Which specific VGC would you recommend to purchase at MD area Giant and/or S&S to liquidate to a MO?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
does anyone know if BJs keeps any type of debit cards
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:56 am

From October 14th to the 20th, Stop & Shop and Giant are having a 2x gas points on VGC's. I guess they are trying to bring them back with a bang. I already have 2,072 gas points now. There's a 20 gallon max fill up. Also there's a 1.50 max discount. This isn't too bad though, you can get 30 dollars off gas. Then buy $1k more VGC's and have 2,500 gas points to use for the month. Also with multiple cards you can really make a lot of money off gas in a short window.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:10 pm

Walgreens are now dead in my area for MS . They only accept cash and debit for purchasing any type of gift card. This is a recent change. I was able to satisfy some minimum spending on my Barclay Arrival and Citi Prestige partly at Walgreen's last month buying OneVanilla. No more.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
does anyone know if BJs keeps any type of debit cards
I was able to get 500 Vanilla at local CVS but he asked me for my DL & Scanned it tooo...does it raise a flag anywhere?
Should i be worried?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
I was able to get 500 Vanilla at local CVS but he asked me for my DL & Scanned it tooo...does it raise a flag anywhere?
Should i be worried?
All my local CVS do the same. I heard it's to make sure you don't go over the 1K daily limit per store.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Several dozen
More like the corporate $2k in 24 hours limit.

Originally Posted by cuthroat
All my local CVS do the same. I heard it's to make sure you don't go over the 1K daily limit per store.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:38 am

okay thanks....will anyways do max 1500 for 90 days.

Now on the run to find ways to liquidate these

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.