Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Locally, the grocery store that has quite the monopoly, does not stock the Vanilla $20-$500 GCs.

I want to max out the BOA Cash Back bonus category for grocery store spending. Struck out w/VRs (they have those available) using CC payment. So, I thought, "ok, let me try GCs". All I need is three!

I am going on travel soon to a Kroger city. Curious if anybody knows if they have the $500 GCs. They have a great variety of GCs for sale normally. I could stop close to the airport unless my ride is in a hurry.

Thanks for responses.

Last edited by jan_believes; May 12, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Jewell does
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Ralphs does too
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Grocery Stores that sell $500 GCs

Kroger is good for variable visas @ 5.95. Also their money orders are better bc their pos will automatically drain a debit card and leave a remaining balance. You don't have to ask the cashier to key anything. Swipe pin enter. New balance, swipe pin enter done. Plus they have more teeth than the walmart clan. Generally nicer too
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:18 am

Winn Dixie, Sweetbay
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by haloseven
Kroger is good for variable visas @ 5.95. Also their money orders are better bc their pos will automatically drain a debit card and leave a remaining balance. You don't have to ask the cashier to key anything. Swipe pin enter. New balance, swipe pin enter done. Plus they have more teeth than the walmart clan. Generally nicer too
First, the "more teeth" comment cracked me up. Nicely done.

Second, what's a MO run at Kroger and how high will they let you go on the amount? I need to pay a $2,000 deposit on my kids' school tuition and was thinking about trying to do it with a MO from Kroger in Atlanta.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
First, the "more teeth" comment cracked me up. Nicely done.

Second, what's a MO run at Kroger and how high will they let you go on the amount? I need to pay a $2,000 deposit on my kids' school tuition and was thinking about trying to do it with a MO from Kroger in Atlanta.
No big deal for 2k. 3k will probably get you a form
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:37 pm

Same as Walmart. $1k/69cents. I've pushed 3k about 3 times a week. I've pushed 5 with my favorite cashier. I asked her the limit, her response was 'as many as you want'. Tread lightly
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:49 pm

Same as Walmart. $1k/69cents. I've pushed 3k about 3 times a week. I've pushed 5 with my favorite cashier. I asked her the limit, her response was 'as many as you want'. Tread lightly
More than 1k requires additional info though right? Or have I been misinformed?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:52 pm

Never given them any info. I buy at several stores.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
So, looks like I should be ok with Kroger, thanks!

I was about to ask about Food Lion but probably won't need it....
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, which Bank of America card are you using? The ones I am most familiar with give a better bonus at gas stations and I didn't see any on the website that were better at grocery stores.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Can I do $2K in a single money order or do I have to do two separate ones for $1K each?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Can I do $2K in a single money order or do I have to do two separate ones for $1K each?
my walmart forces me to break it into 2 transactions and the charge (70cents) is applied to each transaction.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:58 pm

I didn't see any $500 Visas at my Kroger in IL, but they have 8 million of the mastercards of this type: http://romsdeals.com/wp-content/uplo...0321295569.jpg
They had some Visas of smaller amounts on the rack. If you've never been to a Kroger family store look around - mine has at least 3 separate gift card racks in addition to some random cards at the checkouts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.