Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
MS in Hawaii

Originally Posted by msp3
Anyone in Hawaii still able to buy $500 or high denomination VGCs? Longs don't have them anymore (only $50s), Walgreens told me its seasonal (only $50s left), Best Buy is out of their $200s (told me no more coming shelf space got changed up), Safeway is $200 only with high fee, OD is cash only for variable, OM's have fees so high it kills the deal, never seen one sold at a gas station. GCM.com is unreliable AF, out of options...
MS in Hawaii is tough. If you are on Oahu, there are Safeway with $500 cards and paying with CC is YMMV. You can't get Amex gift cards shipped to the islands either.

Hawaii has some laws that are unfriendly to gift card merchants. Have you tried ordering cards online from GCM or Staples?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by martig4
MS in Hawaii is tough. If you are on Oahu, there are Safeway with $500 cards and paying with CC is YMMV. You can't get Amex gift cards shipped to the islands either.

Hawaii has some laws that are unfriendly to gift card merchants. Have you tried ordering cards online from GCM or Staples?
Safeway has been dead for $500 variables since last summer. Blackhawk recalled them all, the new ones only go up to $200 w/ the same $4.95 fee.

GCM is a pain in the ... to deal with, ordered a few and now can't checkout anymore. Staples will not ship to Hawaii, but using Visa Checkout it will go through and Blackhawk will ship directly. Still, it's small ($300 max, right?)
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:44 pm

Dining Everywhere VGC

I know this is slightly off topic, but wanted to mention my success in getting MO at WM using the new Visa Dining Everywhere VGC that are now available at many grocery and office supply stores. Max amount is $200 (Jewel has $10 off for VGC currently through their MyMixx online coupon program).
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by RuckusLoveU
I know this is slightly off topic, but wanted to mention my success in getting MO at WM using the new Visa Dining Everywhere VGC that are now available at many grocery and office supply stores. Max amount is $200 (Jewel has $10 off for VGC currently through their MyMixx online coupon program).
Slightly?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Newgene
Slightly?
Seriously. Too bad there isn't an entire thread dedicated to the topic.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by RuckusLoveU
What amount did you get the MO for? $199.30? Haven't heard of anyone getting a MO for more than $50 with these yet.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
What amount did you get the MO for? $199.30? Haven't heard of anyone getting a MO for more than $50 with these yet.

Had 6 to get rid of today. Did two (3) spots for 599.30 ea at my WM of choice
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:54 pm

is riteaid going cash only? both os my local ones did, in CA.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:19 am
XP1

Originally Posted by tomprc
is riteaid going cash only? both os my local ones did, in CA.
Yeah, that was a while ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post26861991
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
in reference to dining everywhere GC, I tried to buy $799.30 MO with four $200s and it went through at my WMNM. This hood market has always been reliable for sunnies, geedees for CCs.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:56 pm

Walgreens is missing from the "YES" list.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by calwatch
Stater Brothers used to have variables (25-500) but seems to have pulled all of them out. They were hit and miss on selling 500 VGCs before but now refuse to even sell 500 on eBay GC (although I was able to buy a $50 Macys GC to take advantage of a Mothers' Day promotion - buy $50 get a $10 Catalina on a future grocery purchase).
I have been meaning to post a thread asking question regards what is going on with 500$ Metabank cards in Stater Bros in Southern California. They pulled all 500$ metabank cards from all Stater Bros in my city and neighbouring ones (Inland Empire, Southern California). I am not seeing them in Albertsons either.

Anyone wanna report on availability of 500$ Metabank in any grocery stores in so cal. I am going to run low on Membership Rewards soon !!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by ketelone
I have been meaning to post a thread asking question regards what is going on with 500$ Metabank cards in Stater Bros in Southern California. They pulled all 500$ metabank cards from all Stater Bros in my city and neighbouring ones (Inland Empire, Southern California). I am not seeing them in Albertsons either.

Anyone wanna report on availability of 500$ Metabank in any grocery stores in so cal. I am going to run low on Membership Rewards soon !!
Purchased some in a CVS today. In the southern CA area.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by split71
Metabank visa gc variable load 500??

Cool. Did not know they still allowed $500 variable load cards with CC any more. I thought they stopped doing that back when we used those white plastic Netspend/mio load card (with getting activation code by scratching in the back ).

I would love to not have to make the long drive to SM and get some Metabank from CVS instead. Although I like that SM doesn't treat you like some shady guy and u can do max.

Will check it out this week. Thanks for the reply.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by split71
if you're referring to variable MetaVGCs sold at SoCal CVS, it must be in your area only. I just checked with my friends in four other states and their CVS is like mine that sells only Vanilla GCs as of today. I hope the MBGCs will also be sold at our drugstores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.