Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by TyPo311
I'm not sure if this is a regional thing or nationwide but the Whole foods around me, mostly in Dallas, no longer sell $500 VGCs. I think they sell $100 or maybe even $200. Anyone else have DPs on this? If it's similar in other parts of the country then maybe the WIKI needs to be updated.
Dead in NY
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Time to stick a fork in Whole Foods - AFAICT it is done.

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Dead in NY
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:30 pm

well, i guess this means gc is hardcoded to cash or debit only at my wallys. tried at the counters and moneycenter. one was vgc by greendot and the other one was vanilla vgc by bancorp. freedom card went to processing then declined and this receipt spit out. smh.

Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mcRib
well, i guess this means gc is hardcoded to cash or debit only at my wallys. tried at the counters and moneycenter. one was vgc by greendot and the other one was vanilla vgc by bancorp. freedom card went to processing then declined and this receipt spit out. smh.

vgc by greendot is working for me at the customer service.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:09 pm

Target $400 VGCs

Does Target sell 2 kinds of VGCs?

One issued by Metabank and the other by Target Bank / ITC Financial Licenses / Maestro?

Can both be recycled at WM?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

got this same one at my location, I had a mix of GD and Vanilla though....
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Does Target sell 2 kinds of VGCs?

One issued by Metabank and the other by Target Bank / ITC Financial Licenses / Maestro?

Can both be recycled at WM?
I know metabank VGC work at WM. I don't believe Target sells VGCs that can be bought with CC. I may be wrong as I don't have Target nearby. Otherwise people would have talked about this along with WM.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: All of them
got this same one at my location, I had a mix of GD and Vanilla though....
Try it without Vanillas. I was doing this on the 1st and Vanillas failed at several stores, but WM branded GCs like greendot worked fine.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I know metabank VGC work at WM. I don't believe Target sells VGCs that can be bought with CC. I may be wrong as I don't have Target nearby. Otherwise people would have talked about this along with WM.
yes they have VGCs that can be bought with CC. They a bit more, $6 for $400.

4th Q category for Discover includes Target

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Try it without Vanillas. I was doing this on the 1st and Vanillas failed at several stores, but WM branded GCs like greendot worked fine.
+1

3 hours ago GD visa worked fine. Strange the terminal does not require sig/anything.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by moops380
+1

3 hours ago GD visa worked fine. Strange the terminal does not require sig/anything.
i'll try again with a GD.

btw this worked at a terminal with the chip reader? read somewhere that it only works with swipe.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: All the programs!

btw this worked at a terminal with the chip reader? read somewhere that it only works with swipe.
That's peculiar.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:15 pm

Tried puchasing 3 GDs, and got error on authorization.

was WM blocking it or my bank declined it?

i was warned debit only. It was a chip card.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:16 pm

Chip reader... I always go to the self checkout supervisor's register as you can't self checkout with vgc, I just get one card per go as it doesn't code grocery, etc. Also these employees could not care less about anything, they don't even know what card you're using, and don't care, at least at my local WMs. I wish the freedom 5x was always at WM, too easy!
zgringo14 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:17 pm

Tried puchasing 3 GDs, and got error on authorization.

was WM blocking it or my bank declined it?

i was warned debit only. It was a chip card.
Try 1 first? Call your bank to check if there is a security freeze?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.