Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:11 am

I have 2 mobil stores nearby (Ohio). Neither sells visa gift cards.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Is 7-11 still vgc for credit cards or is it hard coded for only cash/debit ?

I havent tried it in a very long time , since most cashiers wont even allow it.

I have circle k , cumberland farms ,marathon, mobil nearby . Any experience on these stores ?
no experience with the other stores but 7-11 works for me. NorCal btw. it even codes as gas.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mcRib
no experience with the other stores but 7-11 works for me. NorCal btw. it even codes as gas.
7-11 codes as gas for Visa/MC/Discover but not for Amex.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:59 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by rct12345
7-11 codes as gas for Visa/MC/Discover but not for Amex.
Unfort not all 7/11 sells them tho.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:56 pm

I'm really in a hurry to get minimum spend for a Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Visa. I'm going for the Companion Pass.
Haven't done MS in awhile.
Can anyone inform where to buy with a CC $500 gift cards in Los Angeles. If you know any places DTLA it would be extra helpful.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hermosatrout
I'm really in a hurry to get minimum spend for a Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Visa. I'm going for the Companion Pass.
Haven't done MS in awhile.
Can anyone inform where to buy with a CC $500 gift cards in Los Angeles. If you know any places DTLA it would be extra helpful.
How many years will it take you to simply walk into a drug store chain or supermkt chain find the goods and try and purchase them using a CC. thats excatly what I do whenever I anywhere in order to get the goods or unload them (MOs) , sure at times I walk out empty handed so I make a note which store/s dont work for me and which do so next time I can simply get straight to work , as long as policy hasnt changed

eg will the new Staples deal be like the last or will it only allow 1 card, no one has posted anything on it , I simply went into 1 store and found out the old way by trying it on my own and now I know the answer, now if a person has to travel 20 miles to the nearest Staples thats something else
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:43 pm

Stop & Shop is asking me for SSN for GC purchases now, what do you guys do?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Do Meijer stores still only sell MC, not VGC? Maybe it varies per region? I hate MC due to various problems experienced.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
Do Meijer stores still only sell MC, not VGC? Maybe it varies per region? I hate MC due to various problems experienced.
$500s, I believe so, I haven't seen a $500VGC. There are $200 VGCs
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:42 pm

Despite my "policy" of only dealing with $500 non-Vanilla Visa GCs, I accumulated over time a number of "oddball" cards, e.g., $50 & $100 cards, $200 VE cards, etc. I decided that I was going to devote an entire MS liquidation run to getting rid of these cards, which I did today. Felt great to get rid of these. P.S. I obviously need therapy.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
P.S. I obviously need therapy.
We can likely get a group rate.
Tomas Machart likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
The Meijer near me sells $500 MC and $200 visa. Don't know if that's just an Ohio thing, or if it's nationwide.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msthegame
Stop & Shop is asking me for SSN for GC purchases now, what do you guys do?
what was the total you were buying? till now near me no nothing if it was < $2k
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:25 am

$5K. *sigh* will be painful doing only $2k at a time as I do $15K a month.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msthegame
$5K. *sigh* will be painful doing only $2k at a time as I do $15K a month.
its even worse! you misunderstood me @ $2k they ask for some info, it has to be < $2k eg $1500 for it to be no questions asked or info needed. is there only 1 SnS in your area? its a pita but with numerous stores in a close by area I will do 3-4 stores per day, otherwise you're gonna have to give them the info they want or go to SM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.