Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
My local W-D has started using a new fraud prevention measure. It's a form much like the form you have to sign when purchasing pseudoephedrine. Name, DL, amounts, date purchased, but no signature. I was the first one on the list. I'll be interested to see if I end up being the second (and the third, fourth, etc.) Hopefully that's a sign that they intend to keep allowing CCs for GCs.

Andyandy
Definitely YMMV. Two WD's I've been to have this form, but they've used it inconsistently: sometimes they bring it out, sometimes they don't. And even when they bring it out and see my name as the previous entry, they don't necessarily let me purchase what I'm after anyway. WDs are getting frustrating. I'm less than 50% success rate on them now.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:27 am

Yikes. My WDs have been terrific and easy so far (they just came to our area, buying out Sweetbays). I've been doing reasonably small doses and spreading it out among WDs as much as possible. Fingers crossed, 'cause they've been good to me.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Mamibear
No SSN? the store I buy my MOs require nothing as of now (knock on wood!) but IF sometime later, they will require DLs, I'm still fine with that.

I often show my DL as ID so I have no problem with that but if they will require SSN aside from DL info, and not knowing who has access to their logbook, I'll say no thanks.
No SSN on the form I saw. I agree with Cdancer that a SSN requirment on that form would take WD out of the equation for me. Also, so far the form is only for GC purchases. It hasn't been an issue with MOs. FWIW, I don't ever "cross the streams" and use GCs purchased at WD to buy MOs at WD. WD is where I cash out my VGCs now that WM as nixed VGCs for MOs.

Andyandy

P.S.: That's a lot of acronyms!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA XPlat
Thumbs down Shaws (South Shore, MA)

Attempted purchase of var load vgc at Shaws for $500x2.
Was told would need an override, but when supervisor arrived, she pointed to posted signage at the register which stated $300 max load, without manager approval. And that managers wouldn't approve anything higher.
Thanked them for their time and departed.
Noted a fellow MSer made a purchase just before me at the same register with no issues (assume just $500x1). We'll say "hi" one of these days.

The posted sign was a plain computer print out, didn't look like anything corporate. But couldn't tell if was specific to that store or would be found at others in the area.

The next day I successfully purchased vgc $500x1 at a Star Market in the city.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:00 am

We should also have a thread on stores that do money-order on GCs.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by cowboyguy
We should also have a thread on stores that do money-order on GCs debit cards.
FTFY
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by BeckhamsTears
Attempted purchase of var load vgc at Shaws for $500x2.
Was told would need an override, but when supervisor arrived, she pointed to posted signage at the register which stated $300 max load, without manager approval. And that managers wouldn't approve anything higher.
Thanked them for their time and departed.
Noted a fellow MSer made a purchase just before me at the same register with no issues (assume just $500x1). We'll say "hi" one of these days.

The posted sign was a plain computer print out, didn't look like anything corporate. But couldn't tell if was specific to that store or would be found at others in the area.

Yesterday I purchased 3x $500 VGC in the Boston western suburbs, at the service desk. They had to do it in 2 transactions (I explained I didn't want it in 3 identical ones as that might cause a fraud alert).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kirkpt
BI-LO groceries was a yes for variable meta gift cards in nc area yesterday. If go over $1000 they need to record.
Really? Shocked that Bi-Lo and Food Lion are on this list, that's great. Are you buying Vanilla Reloads or plain gift cards? Want to put them on my Bluebird as easily as possible.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:49 pm

What is WD?

What is WD?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by lucydney
What is WD?
In the wiki, the last one under "Yes"
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:00 am

I was at a Safeway last night in Northern Virginia and they said it's now cash/debit only for variable-load VGC. Said it was a new store policy. What I didn't figure out is whether its local or corporate and whether it's hard coded at the register. Either way, not good.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by BeckhamsTears
Wow, Star Market. I haven't heard that name in awhile...brings me back to my Boston days. I miss it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Navarro Pharmacy just went cash only for MOs here in the Miami area. This ain't lookin' good folks as our paper and plastic suppliers seem to be drinking the same flavor Jonestown Kool Aid.
Navarro just got bought by CVS. Wish I weren't so late to the party.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
Originally Posted by zoob27
I was at a Safeway last night in Northern Virginia and they said it's now cash/debit only for variable-load VGC. Said it was a new store policy. What I didn't figure out is whether its local or corporate and whether it's hard coded at the register. Either way, not good.
It is definitely local. I purchased a few VGC today at Safeway.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ChuckHH
It is definitely local. I purchased a few VGC today at Safeway.
This is definitely true. It's also worth reiterating, if you want to go big at Safeway you have to make sure that the cashiers trust you. This is as simple as becoming a regular: don't look sketchy, be polite, and try to repeat with the same cashiers each time. Once they recognize you, it's easy to purchase several thousand at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.