Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:40 pm

Middle NC is harder to get them too, went to 3 Food Lion, all have been told cash/debit only, talk to one of the manager, he said, any card on that Gift card stand is cash/debit only, that's include phone card, store gift card, reload!t, VGC. that's one well dry up.
4 of H-T I went, have all the 20-500 card pulled from shelf, don't see any reload!t, nor the pre-paid debit card, they are behind the cigarettes counter?
2 of the Lowes food is cash only.
going to check winndixie this weekend.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ZeroMile
Middle NC is harder to get them too, went to 3 Food Lion, all have been told cash/debit only, talk to one of the manager, he said, any card on that Gift card stand is cash/debit only, that's include phone card, store gift card, reload!t, VGC. that's one well dry up.
4 of H-T I went, have all the 20-500 card pulled from shelf, don't see any reload!t, nor the pre-paid debit card, they are behind the cigarettes counter?
2 of the Lowes food is cash only.
going to check winndixie this weekend.

I will have to second your experience in NC. I did have success in Food King of the Jungle, but only because of an unusually persistent clerk who really wanted to sell me the 500 card. The assistant manager and a manager got involved, and finally they said okay (and without the paperwork they had initially wanted filled out). Office Train Station is a no go as well for the variable ones (cash only). HT got rid of ALL visa GC in my area, even the fixed denom ones. Overall, it is such a hassle, that GCM and the other office store online seems to be the best options for guaranteed delivery.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:17 pm

No at Safeway in NoVA

After several years without issues (including a CC purchase 2 days ago), tonight I was told at my local Safeway that Visa/MC GCs could only be bought with a debit card. I was told that it's a new store policy.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
Stop & Shop getting iffy?

SS in Danbury CT refused to allow AGC to buy VGC today. Another nearby was fully stocked with everything but the variable cards. They've been asking to see ID and scrutinizing the AGC, but before today personalized biz AGC had been working.

On positive note, Big Y was no problem.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Willower
SS in Danbury CT refused to allow AGC to buy VGC today. Another nearby was fully stocked with everything but the variable cards. They've been asking to see ID and scrutinizing the AGC, but before today personalized biz AGC had been working.

On positive note, Big Y was no problem.
Haven't used AGC there, but the ones I use (in MA) are fine with CC purchases, and usually don't ask for ID. Star/Shaws is much more fussy and staff there seem to invent policies on the fly.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
They would have sold them with CC, but I needed to drain the AGCs. I'm pretty new to this, and may be imposing a pattern on noise, but seems like both SS and A&P (in Dutchess County and Southern CT) are getting less and less receptive.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I was able to purchase a metabank variable-load GC with a CC a few weeks ago at my local (SC) FoodLion. As of this past week, they require cash or debit only.

A competing grocery chain down the street still allowed a CC purchase.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Based on these new reports of stores getting shut down, and evidence that banks are stopping transactions, I would advise agains the wiki on this thread one last time. I've already deleted it once.

I recommend Pming locations instead of broadcasting everywhere in a forum that pops up in a google search.

If a store in your area is shut down and you mention that another store is still working, isnt' it likely that folks (msers, criminals) will move to that new locations?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Based on these new reports of stores getting shut down, and evidence that banks are stopping transactions, I would advise agains the wiki on this thread one last time. I've already deleted it once.

I recommend Pming locations instead of broadcasting everywhere in a forum that pops up in a google search.

If a store in your area is shut down and you mention that another store is still working, isnt' it likely that folks (msers, criminals) will move to that new locations?
Agreed...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Members should tread carefully when suggesting that entire wikis be deleted as these are a community resource and not to be unilaterally wiped by one member.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Members should tread carefully when suggesting that entire wikis be deleted as these are a community resource and not to be unilaterally wiped by one member.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator
Where are the rules pertaining to wiki posts? There are none listed on the FT Rules page. My understanding of wiki's are that they are community posts, equally editable by all members.

Why would one member's suggestions be less valid than another's?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Where are the rules pertaining to wiki posts? There are none listed on the FT Rules page. My understanding of wiki's are that they are community posts, equally editable by all members.

200% agree with this post.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
In other news, is anyone else running low on supply? There are 3-4 stores around me at which I seem to be the only person buying the variables, and they're not restocking. Eep.[/QUOTE]

Do you buy the variable VGCs that say they are from University Bank? Went to a WD today and found only those around the registers. They look very similar to the ones I buy from Krogyland up north, only that those VGCs are from US Bank. Well, will have to try the WD variables on Kate now that it is working again in the Wally near me.

Last edited by carlitos; Aug 13, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:19 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by hotelmotel

Deleting an entire wiki that consists of accurate information that many members have contributed would qualify as being disruptive, which is prohibited by the rules. Intentionally posting false or misleading information on the wiki would be the same. Wikis are community posts and equally editable by all members, but cannot be censored by any member.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:03 pm

Many of the stores in the grocery chain in my area have recently been removing reloadits from their shelves and saying cash only for MB VGC, when they used to allow credit.

Not looking good =(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.