Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by ChuckHH
It is definitely local. I purchased a few VGC today at Safeway.
All limitations are per store, and, as far as I can tell, no registers are hard-coded.

I have two nearby stores that are cash only on all Mastercard and Visa gift cards, but I have scored cards at one from cashiers who didn't enforce.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:23 pm

I went to FoodLion and tried to buy 2 $500 Visa GCs but they told Gift cards are sold only for cash or debit cards. Does anyone have luck buying Visa GCs using CC?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ramamosn
I went to FoodLion and tried to buy 2 $500 Visa GCs but they told Gift cards are sold only for cash or debit cards. Does anyone have luck buying Visa GCs using CC?
Yes, but it is store and location specific. I have one Food Lion here in NC that will and two that won't. Several others I haven't checked.

All accept OVs for MOs.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by JATR4
Yes, but it is store and location specific. I have one Food Lion here in NC that will and two that won't. Several others I haven't checked.

All accept OVs for MOs.

Thank you,
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:17 am

Datapoint Food Lion is DC only in Greenville County SC.

Anyone from Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson SC know of a grocery store that sells $500 GC's for a CC?....
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist

All accept OVs for MOs.
Same thing for me in NC. Usually frequent the one near my house out in a more rural area with no issues. Was in the city yesterday and went to a FL to buy one. Transaction had to be approved by a manager but I heard her tell the cashier that they are only suppose to take cash/debit for the VGCs.

Guess I'll keep buying them out here in the sticks...
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:17 am

Do a lot of people have problems with Vons in SoCal? They never let me pay with CC. Albertsons always works though..
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by ramamosn
Yes, I purchased a GC there in May.

However, changes can occur and of course, as stated in the WIKI, local restrictions apply.

BTW, this was in TN.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:34 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

All accept OVs for MOs.
Never had a register decline at Food Lion (I'm in NC as well). Manager approval required if total is > $500 (hint hint).
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau
Never had a register decline at Food Lion (I'm in NC as well). Manager approval required if total is > $500 (hint hint).
No hint needed. The manager was there and said it was company policy. It isn't but no need to argue. I was only buying one $500 card and only at that particular store because the other was out of the card I wanted to buy.

It was not a store that I would normally go to.

Last edited by JATR4; Jul 27, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by d129876
Do a lot of people have problems with Vons in SoCal? They never let me pay with CC. Albertsons always works though..
Vons is a big YMMV. If I've got a cart full of groceries with a GC added in, they pretty often let me buy it. Other times I've tried just a GC alone and been turned down.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:46 am

Some More "NO" Stores

Add Strack & Vantil and Town & Country to the "NO" list for the Indiana Boys
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:41 am

Friends,

Can someone local to the areas, please check and report on the following:

Weis - PA and NJ
Wade's Market, Victor, NY - http://www.wadesmarketcenter.com/
ShurSave, Ithaca area, NY - http://www.shursavemarkets.com/
P & C Fresh Cortland and Ithaca, NY - http://pandcfresh.com/
Shoppers Food (VA and MD) - www.shoppersfood.com

Also, in the wiki, Giant is mentioned under YES. Is this DC/MD/VA area Giant or Pennsylvania Giant or both? I know they both are owned by Ahold.

Last edited by dministrator; Jul 22, 2014 at 8:46 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:27 pm

Stores that sell $500 GCs

struck out buying OV @ sevs. not sure reg block or ppl.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:03 pm

Got one from FL

I went to the neighborhood FL and they were completely out of variable VGCs. Went to another store few miles away and found several variable VGCs stacked in the rack. When I tried to check out, I was first told that its cash or debit only. I told her that I want to load $500 and I only have cc. I was about to walk out when for whatever reason she said to let her check with the manger. And the manager came used his key to override the block. I'll be on look out for her next time I visit the store

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.