Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by rdrink25
She did ask for my ID to verify the card was mine but then handed it back to me. This was at the beginning of the transaction. At the end she noted something on her receipt that I could not make out. Anyone have any clue what this could be?
One way store managers have for encouraging cashiers to check ids is to require them to make a duplicate receipt and record the id number (likely drivers license number) on the duplicate.

At some stores, the number is used for nothing else other as proof the cashier checked. Other places, the DL number is used to create a "know your customer" file for risk management purposes. It varies from store to store even with the same chain and market area.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: Chase Ink Bold, Amex Gold
I've gone to Albertson's twice now and every time the transaction exceeds $1000 (2 VGCs), it needs a manager's override. Someone please edit the wiki as I can't. You can ask the casier to do separate transactions per GC and no override will be required.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by paragffm
I've gone to Albertson's twice now and every time the transaction exceeds $1000 (2 VGCs), it needs a manager's override. Someone please edit the wiki as I can't. You can ask the casier to do separate transactions per GC and no override will be required.
Yes that is the case when I bought VGCs at Albertsons that one time. It was a PITA since I was trying to buy $3K that time and I try to avoid it when I can but luckily I bought them at a customer service desk which the lady was a supervisor who had the override key handy. I don't know what Ralphs system is since I haven't tried it but Albertsons system blows.

At least with Vons they just need to press the override button once after $500 which is preferred.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Yes that is the case when I bought VGCs at Albertsons that one time. It was a PITA since I was trying to buy $3K that time and I try to avoid it when I can but luckily I bought them at a customer service desk which the lady was a supervisor who had the override key handy. I don't know what Ralphs system is since I haven't tried it but Albertsons system blows.

At least with Vons they just need to press the override button once after $500 which is preferred.
Thanks for the wiki update. May be helpful if you mention also that folks can ask for separate transactions for each 500 VGC and no override will be required. Although I have only done 2 vgcs this way without override so don't know if there's a limit to separate transactions.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:27 am

I have one gas store of a chain that has always cheerfully sold me OV (all other cards are hard coded cash), while all others in the chain have very hatefully and firmly refused CC for anything.

Apparently my favorite store got burned recently, the entire management was dumped, and the district manager (unbeknownst to me until today) has been pulling cashier duty. She sold me one today, but gave me the 3rd degree and wanted to know why I was buying these cards. It will be a shame if this store dies, because I end up getting 10-15% here, and I don't have to do much volume to make it worthwhile (meaning I have very few encounters with that finicky Kate.

First world problems, I know...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: free agent
went to two different safeway in DC (cityvista - cash only), and look like maryland ave too, but might try again tomorrow morning with $500, instead of $1000 and got a rude manager (bad move on my part). Any recent datapoints on DC safeways?

Last edited by washeelers747; Sep 17, 2014 at 12:02 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by bigugly
I have one gas store of a chain that has always cheerfully sold me OV (all other cards are hard coded cash), while all others in the chain have very hatefully and firmly refused CC for anything.

Apparently my favorite store got burned recently, the entire management was dumped, and the district manager (unbeknownst to me until today) has been pulling cashier duty. She sold me one today, but gave me the 3rd degree and wanted to know why I was buying these cards. It will be a shame if this store dies, because I end up getting 10-15% here, and I don't have to do much volume to make it worthwhile (meaning I have very few encounters with that finicky Kate.

First world problems, I know...
This is a prime reason to always be nice to your cashiers. I have one Gas station that got burned recently by someone using fake A.E. gift cards to buy O.V., so they took all the cards off the shelf and stored them away. I go in every Friday morning and buy 2 $500 in separate transactions. She is the Manager and will ONLY sell to me now. How sweet it is!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:07 pm

YMMV

Just wanted to say how incredibly different the experiences are w.r.t. to buying VGCs in grocery stores.
I have had:
1) Very rude cashier yelling "You can't buy credit with credit!". (I did not even mention about VGCs not being credit as it was obvious it was useless).
2) Very pretty girl selling me VGCs with no problem and flirting.
3) Dude selling me 3 VGCs one day and when I go to the same store the next day, the manager telling me Cash Only.
4) Going to one store and cashier yelling to other cashiers that I want to load $500 per GC as though I was robbing the store! Other cashier then calling the manager and the whole store looking at me. I thought this is not going to work out. Strangely, the manager had no problems checking those out and recommended I use Ralphs card to get points as I didn't have it on me. Very nice lady too.

What are some of your experiences? I bet there are some hilarious ones.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:24 pm

4) Going to one store and cashier yelling to other cashiers that I want to load $500 per GC as though I was robbing the store!
Had to laugh when I read this. Same thing happened to me, cashier yelled across about 10 lanes, "He wants to put $500 all three cards". This was right around 5pm with the lanes all full.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:56 pm

Just wanted to say how incredibly different the experiences are w.r.t. to buying VGCs in grocery stores.
I have had:
1) Very rude cashier yelling "You can't buy credit with credit!". (I did not even mention about VGCs not being credit as it was obvious it was useless).
2) Very pretty girl selling me VGCs with no problem and flirting.
3) Dude selling me 3 VGCs one day and when I go to the same store the next day, the manager telling me Cash Only.
4) Going to one store and cashier yelling to other cashiers that I want to load $500 per GC as though I was robbing the store! Other cashier then calling the manager and the whole store looking at me. I thought this is not going to work out. Strangely, the manager had no problems checking those out and recommended I use Ralphs card to get points as I didn't have it on me. Very nice lady too.

They always ask me to put my Ralphs card in when I buy VGC there. You dont get points for VGC anyways, I think they want you to put it in so they can track your VGC purchases. I never have problems buying VGC at Ralphs but Ive never bought more than 2 at a time.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by gw14
Had to laugh when I read this. Same thing happened to me, cashier yelled across about 10 lanes, "He wants to put $500 all three cards". This was right around 5pm with the lanes all full.
This is exactly why I now go to Vons at 9 AM or 11 PM. If there are problems, I only upset one or two cashiers rather than all the staff who are there during the day.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
This is exactly why I now go to Vons at 9 AM or 11 PM. If there are problems, I only upset one or two cashiers rather than all the staff who are there during the day.
This works for me also. I work midnight shift, so I go right after work around 8:00am dressed in my scrubs (CT Tech). I know the cashiers by name and the service counter managers where I do my Money orders. Helps to be super nice!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
J
Best one for me
We only accept credit cards for giftcards. ^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
Best one for me
We only accept credit cards for giftcards. ^
I used to have a store with a big sign on the GC display:

"Debit and Credit Cards gladly accepted for all gift cards."

The sign is still there but they have had nothing but restaurant and iTunes/amazon cards for months. I'm thinking some jackass burned the store.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:40 pm

Safeway Cash Only in Denver?

I went to my local Safeway today where I buy one $500 VGC every week or so. The cashier, who knows me well, asked for an override. This never causes a problem. The person who swiped the override card for the cashier advised her that all these cards were going to be cash only. I asked him if they are cash only now or were going to be soon. He replied, "they're telling us to start telling people, so maybe we can use our judgement if we know the person."
I asked why the change and he replied they were trying to protect themselves "because some people were coming in with other peoples' credit cards and using them." This Safeway used to sell me PayPower cards with a CC, but suffered a loss of $3K when someone used a stolen/cloned CC to buy a bunch of PPs, and I lost that option. Anyone in the Denver area experiencing this yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.