Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 10:31 am
jmw

Originally Posted by therealhershey
Are you using ShopKick and Plink? http://hackmytrip.com/2014/03/new-wa...facture-spend/

I'm hoping to take advantage of them.
Good luck trying to get OD to let you pay with a credit card to buy VGC. They are cash only. I'll be very surprised you can make this work.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:39 pm

A lot of the local Vons stores in my area that used to sell Visa/MC gift cards using credit card are now cash/debit only. I've tried going at different times, different cashiers, and it's almost universal. I think it's coming from the top. I've now tried 4 different Vons/Pavilions stores in the Long Beach area, been shot down on all of them.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:46 pm

I had an interesting experience at an HT. I was buying a $100 vgc for a graduation gift. I was told by a customer service manager that they were cash/debit only. This is a store I shop at frequently for groceries and cards. I asked if it was a policy change and he said it had been like that for years. No problem buying 500 card the next day at a different location.
Old May 15, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
A lot of the local Vons stores in my area that used to sell Visa/MC gift cards using credit card are now cash/debit only. I've tried going at different times, different cashiers, and it's almost universal. I think it's coming from the top. I've now tried 4 different Vons/Pavilions stores in the Long Beach area, been shot down on all of them.
I went to Vons in 626, Ca. I bought a 500.00 vgc 3 days ago with CC. No problem. I went today. Cashier with the word "supervisor" on her name tag said,"cash/debit only". I said,"I just bought one a few days ago". She said,"I'll ask the manager". A girl that is younger than her, looks at my ID and CC. Approved it, and I was on my way.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:10 pm

Does anyone know if you can purchase two GC's for $500 each in the same transaction at Jewel?
Old May 16, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bvlova
At some Kr0g3r stores...
You really don't need the letter substitutions, and it makes it way harder to read.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:33 am

Ah, I miss Krogers...used to love shopping there at all hours of the day especially 3am.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by bvlova
At some Kr0g3r stores around my region I could purchase $494.05 K visas cards. VS. No hassle, if not in bulk . I am begining to love Kr0g3r!
At their FD, I can acquire MO with impressive easiness, compared to Wally's.
To c@$|-| a MO at K--> I couldn't at another store.* It has to be at the same store, same one where I had purchased it.* First time ! Didn't know: just one month of experience. I didn't want to deposit again and agina on ACH. C@$h deposits may be the best.
Slow rider here.
Also, feeling the atmosphere of the store helps a lot. Some employees are very discontent with their jobs or something else... They can discount on you! It's amazing the difference between the "Upscale" (novue.riche) and "-more.like.keeping-low profile" store ambience are, and how they treat you. What you expect is inversely proportional to the status quo or income, for some cultural reason, I do believe.

Just a perception.
Was there a coherent thought anywhere this post?
Old May 16, 2014, 12:40 pm

which stores in simon malls they sell visa gift cards?
Old May 16, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Spencer Gifts (aka, "Spencer's"). They're usually in the back of the store.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Originally Posted by Tuppins
Spencer Gifts (aka, "Spencer's"). They're usually in the back of the store.
In my mall, they are a separate kiosk for customer information. You will know them b/c they have a rack full of different gift cards.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I do wish I understood the wisdom of turning this thread into a free for all category of stores when it was established for the grocery store category and was doing quite nicely with that focus, IMHO.

Simon GCs are now being discussed when there are more than enough threads discussing that financial instrument, particularly:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ethods-ms.html

I didn't see any finesse activity applied to that thread, as could have been done.

OD is more than well represented elsewhere, too.

I sincerely and humbly request that it be restored to add the word "Grocery" back to the title. TY for considering.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:46 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Is the $500 GC from Kroger the variable type or the pre-fixed value type? Anyone had success purchasing them recently?
Old May 21, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
Is the $500 GC from Kroger the variable type or the pre-fixed value type? Anyone had success purchasing them recently?
The ones I buy are variable load $20-$500 Visas. I bought one a few days ago but they are getting harder to find in my local store. Fixed $100/$200 cards are everywhere though.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
Variable $20-$500. The shelves have been replenished and I bought one today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.