Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:00 pm

Just did my Sat. morning run in NW Philly suburbs. Both Shoprites were cash only. The Giants around me were scattered, one was cash only, one was $2500 daily limit, one had been 5K limit, but "temporarily" 1K. Lots of fraud going around is the word. I found a Kate that was coming up 3 bells everytime, but trouble finding quarters to put in her.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:03 pm

MS

definitely getting harder to MS. Two of my RAid's are now cash only for MO, but still allow CC for OV and PP my cash. 1 of my 3 Stop and Shops are cash only for MO now. The other 2 look at me funny. (I don't get more then 2) been doing this for 14 months and I think I am a pro. One S&S store manager, (this store allowed all VGC to be purchased with Cc) told me 2 weeks ago ..all MO and VGC purchases are cash only!!. Said thanks and left. But I got him back.. Went to store on my days off at weird times, and now buy VGC (metebank) 1 at a time at regular registers. I do 2 cards at same time (wf/aBC). Under 1k does not need "key " from mgr. Bought about 23 in 7 days. So now It just takes longer. I would go to car, and return to another register. Also, this AM went to a RA that I always was able to get MO with OV, saw new manager and rookie clerk, knew I was in for trouble. Clerk had to ask manager how to do MO, i was screwed!! "cash only" he stated. So I will try on Sun AM and probably different crew. This hobby depends on the actual clerks!! When a mgr gets involved, it's no good.

Last edited by barrytuneup; Jul 12, 2014 at 2:12 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:54 pm

Absolutely no VRs at my Kroger today. Completely OOS.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:39 pm

4 grocery store chains that previously used to sell GCs on a CC are not allowing to use a CC anymore. It's definitely getting very harder.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:19 am

I have a great source in southwest FL but also some competition, apparently. Went to my favorite place yesterday and the variables were completely out.

But at least thanks for helping break in the cashiers. Every time I've bought GCs at this new place there's always a flutter of activity: managers called, other cashiers, furrowed brows, etc. Not nearly as schooled as CVS, but always very nice.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by aegis782
Absolutely no VRs at my Kroger today. Completely OOS.
If you mean VGC then that is very odd, all my Krogs are always chock full of em.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Navarro Pharmacy just went cash only for MOs here in the Miami area. This ain't lookin' good folks as our paper and plastic suppliers seem to be drinking the same flavor Jonestown Kool Aid.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Just did my Sat. morning run in NW Philly suburbs. Both Shoprites were cash only. The Giants around me were scattered, one was cash only, one was $2500 daily limit, one had been 5K limit, but "temporarily" 1K. Lots of fraud going around is the word. I found a Kate that was coming up 3 bells everytime, but trouble finding quarters to put in her.
Have they always been cash only?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cowboyguy
4 grocery store chains that previously used to sell GCs on a CC are not allowing to use a CC anymore. It's definitely getting very harder.
Luckily, there is a list that lets people know what other stores they can go to on this thread.

BTW, here's an excerpt from an article regarding GC purchases and fraud:

They discovered that two men had been buying dozens of gift cards, often pre-paid Visa cards, at grocery stores up and down the North Coast. The large sums raised red flags for Safeway.

Often, they would buy several thousand dollars worth at a time.

“Sometimes they would buy $3,000 worth, then come back again later in the day and do it again,” Jamar said.

Something for folks to think about. Increased fraud and potential risk will get the stores mentioned on the wiki shut down quickly.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by canyoncar
If you mean VGC then that is very odd, all my Krogs are always chock full of em.
The K near my job was out of them on the main GC rack. I had to go near the registers to find more.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Winn Dixie

My local W-D has started using a new fraud prevention measure. It's a form much like the form you have to sign when purchasing pseudoephedrine. Name, DL, amounts, date purchased, but no signature. I was the first one on the list. I'll be interested to see if I end up being the second (and the third, fourth, etc.) Hopefully that's a sign that they intend to keep allowing CCs for GCs.

Andyandy
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by andyandy
My local W-D has started using a new fraud prevention measure. It's a form much like the form you have to sign when purchasing pseudoephedrine. Name, DL, amounts, date purchased, but no signature. I was the first one on the list. I'll be interested to see if I end up being the second (and the third, fourth, etc.) Hopefully that's a sign that they intend to keep allowing CCs for GCs.

Andyandy
There is a list at my local W-D too. I have had it filled out on me when I have done MOs. I asked if this was kept locked away b/c it has birthdate, DL info, and address on it. It was a log book and they actually had quite a few names in there.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by andyandy

Andyandy
No SSN? the store I buy my MOs require nothing as of now (knock on wood!) but IF sometime later, they will require DLs, I'm still fine with that.

I often show my DL as ID so I have no problem with that but if they will require SSN aside from DL info, and not knowing who has access to their logbook, I'll say no thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Cross the border to NJ. No problems at all at SR. Did 4k and 3K at two different SRs on two different days.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mamibear
No SSN? the store I buy my MOs require nothing as of now (knock on wood!) but IF sometime later, they will require DLs, I'm still fine with that.

I often show my DL as ID so I have no problem with that but if they will require SSN aside from DL info, and not knowing who has access to their logbook, I'll say no thanks.
I definitely will never give my SSN! I will just "Try" to walk away. The reason that I say try is b/c in the 2 instances I had at WD. They held the MOs until they filled out my information. I can't just walk away if I have already paid but I still will fight tooth and nail to them taking that information and just putting it in a book.

I was very uncomfortable about them scratching the digits of my CC front before. Said that b/c I did a $2k purchase, they wanted to verify that they could prove it was me if someone tried to say the card was stolen. Still...wasn't comfortable with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.