Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by Domat
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...collapsed.aspx

According to Bancorp's SEC filing, the FDIC has restricted the bank, until further notice, from issuing nonbenefit reloadable prepaid cards and from any automated clearing house transactions for merchant-related payments.
Very interesting. Thank you.

I'm mostly thinking out loud now but the logic sequence is:

1. FDIC takes action against Bankcorp
2. Bankorp prohibited from using ACH to pay merchants (WalMart)
3. WalMart likes to be paid so they stop Bankcorp activities (Billpay) requiring payment

So even though Visa Debit transacts through Plus and Interlink, WalMart gets an ACH payment for debit processing and with that blocked they stop Visa Debit on Bankcorp products.

I still think the motivation for Bankcorp, prepaid market leader, will be to comply ASAP so their business may resume. That means a temporary glitch for our MS activities. Not even temporary if you use non-Bankcorp products.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid

I still think the motivation for Bankcorp, prepaid market leader, will be to comply ASAP so their business may resume. That means a temporary glitch for our MS activities. Not even temporary if you use non-Bankcorp products.
I think there will be considerable "collateral damage" here; many merchants, CSRs, cashiers, etc being spooked by anything more than someone purchasing anything more than $25 Starbucks cards.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
I have but you'll have to be more specific if there is a provision you believe impacts this action by WalMart. What do you assert?
Check the Using Your Card/Features section and the POS Purchase Limits and No Cash Back section to see what you may use the card for.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
It's a game changer for people who do this method. Read 2 posts up from yours, apparently mall GCs that are not Vanilla cards also do not work.
Right, I meant non-Bancorp/incomm products....other banks are still working as usual.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: marybethhebert
all GCs dead

Originally Posted by RJP3
I think there will be considerable "collateral damage" here; many merchants, CSRs, cashiers, etc being spooked by anything more than someone purchasing anything more than $25 Starbucks cards.
As of this a.m., both WMs I visited said that it was WMs policy not to accept any debit or gift card that did not have the person's name printed on it. They were quite clear that is was "federal regulation" (not saying they're right, but it's clearly what they've been told) and that it is to prevent money laundering. As much as I wish this was a glitch, I fear it's the end of GCs to BB. (And, if I had a way of only letting helpful posters read this, and block it from the "I got mine, you get yours, with no help from me" posters, I absolutely would. The purpose of FT is to be HELPFUL. For you pros who have benefitted a lot from these forms of MS, good for you; but saying "it was hard for me, it should be hard for you" is just plain selfish.)

Last edited by respectfulhelper; Jun 22, 2014 at 11:22 am Reason: learning how to post--posted too soon!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:18 am

Another site is indicating that the other banks' cards aren't working anymore and that WM is requiring that cards have a name on them that matches ID. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Nolala
Another site is indicating that the other banks' cards aren't working anymore and that WM is requiring that cards have a name on them that matches ID. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Other cards not working are the mall cards, so far anyway. The need for cards with names on it is old news...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Nolala
That's exactly my post up top.
I could not load my cards yesterday.
They asked for ID that matches both the bb and debit card.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
data point - I was able to find US Bank at another grocery today and loaded to BB at WM with no problems and was not asked for ID. Seems business as usual for US Bank cards.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by JL100
data point - I was able to find US Bank at another grocery today and loaded to BB at WM with no problems and was not asked for ID. Seems business as usual for US Bank cards.
N=1

Business as usual at YOUR WalMart.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by grayland
Are there additional reports/data points that any non-Vanilla cards are blocked.
That's not really germane to this thread (not that so much of this other banter is).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by JL100
Originally Posted by RJP3
N=1

Business as usual at YOUR WalMart.
US Bank != Bancorp
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Datapoint, though not sure this is the right thread for it. Loaded two SMGCs at WM in DC 5 mins ago. No problems.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
Datapoint, though not sure this is the right thread for it. Loaded two SMGCs at WM in DC 5 mins ago. No problems.
SM works perfectly still and documented 100 times..
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:10 pm

What is SMGC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.