Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by deant
Unfortunately FT is providing more information than any of the people that use circles, boxes and arrows.
After my late night research this is correct. FT is the authority on M$ all arrows eventually point to FT.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by angrypenguin
Is it really a game changer? It's annoying, sure, but apparently any non-vanilla visa or mc GC still works....
It's a game changer for people who do this method. Read 2 posts up from yours, apparently mall GCs that are not Vanilla cards also do not work.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
My own view is that this is temporary. I'd be hesitant to edit the wiki at this point.

The snag in rationale for me is that the merchant contract Walmart signed with Visa has stipulations on Visa acceptance. They can choose whether to accept cash, credit or debit for a transaction but I don't believe they can choose to reject Visas issued by a particular bank. That's the whole point of the Visa association: universal acceptance. I expect this to be restored in a future POS system update.

In the meantime you may wish to file a complaint with Visa:

https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by Superorb
It's a game changer for people who do this method. Read 2 posts up from yours, apparently mall GCs that are not Vanilla cards also do not work.
Are there additional reports/data points that any non-Vanilla cards are blocked.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
They can choose whether to accept cash, credit or debit for a transaction but I don't believe they can choose to reject Visas issued by a particular bank. That's the whole point of the Visa association: universal acceptance. I expect this to be restored in a future POS system update.

And if Walmart says "No", Visa will cancel its contract with Walmart? This is like issuers telling you that a foreign multinational abroad MUST accept your US swipe card. If they don't, and you complain to Visa, nothing changes.

Also, even if the threat DID work, Walmart would probably go cash only for these things
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:43 am

My own view is that this is temporary. I'd be hesitant to edit the wiki at this point.

The snag in rationale for me is that the merchant contract Walmart signed with Visa has stipulations on Visa acceptance. They can choose whether to accept cash, credit or debit for a transaction but I don't believe they can choose to reject Visas issued by a particular bank. That's the whole point of the Visa association: universal acceptance. I expect this to be restored in a future POS system update.

This is a bancorp problem with government regulations and nothing to do with Visa or Walmart. Eventually it will be rectified.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
And if Walmart says "No", Visa will cancel its contract with Walmart? This is like issuers telling you that a foreign multinational abroad MUST accept your US swipe card. If they don't, and you complain to Visa, nothing changes.

Also, even if the threat DID work, Walmart would probably go cash only for these things
There are remedies short of canceling the contract. I can think of about 5 billion reasons Visa might like to countersue WalMart.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2Q2BJ20140327
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:46 am

Which of the following merchant violations do you believe are occuring here? (PS - keep in mind that when you use a prepaid Visa card, you agree to the T&C of the card. Have you ever read those?)

The merchant added a checkout fee, or payment card surcharge, to your purchase for using your Visa Debit or Visa Prepaid card (NOTE: U.S. merchants are permitted to add a checkout fee to credit card transactions under certain conditions).

I was assessed a surcharge greater than 4% of my purchase.

The merchant added a checkout fee to your purchase for using your Visa Credit card without disclosing the surcharge at the store entry or point of sale, or without providing the final surcharge amount on the receipt.

The merchant required a minimum purchase amount on a Visa transaction that exceeded $10 (NOTE: U.S. merchants may require a minimum purchase amount on credit card transactions that does not exceed $10.)

The merchant required a minimum purchase amount on a Visa transaction that was made with a debit card.

The merchant displayed an improper Visa acceptance mark, did not display Visa signage or displayed Visa signage but refused to accept your Visa card.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Domat
This is a bancorp problem with government regulations and nothing to do with Visa or Walmart. Eventually it will be rectified.
I agree it will eventually be corrected but thought the Bankcorp issue was only in their reloadable pre-paid products. Do you believe this is just sloppy programming attempting to segment those products?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:48 am

I agree it will eventually be corrected but thought the Bankcorp issue was only in their reloadable pre-paid products. Do you believe this is just sloppy programming attempting to segment those products?
Nope reread the story. It isn't only reloadable cards. I doubt there was any programming changes at all on Walmarts part.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by RJP3
Which of the following merchant violations do you believe are occuring here? (PS - keep in mind that when you use a prepaid Visa card, you agree to the T&C of the card. Have you ever read those?)

The merchant added a checkout fee, or payment card surcharge, to your purchase for using your Visa Debit or Visa Prepaid card (NOTE: U.S. merchants are permitted to add a checkout fee to credit card transactions under certain conditions).

I was assessed a surcharge greater than 4% of my purchase.

The merchant added a checkout fee to your purchase for using your Visa Credit card without disclosing the surcharge at the store entry or point of sale, or without providing the final surcharge amount on the receipt.

The merchant required a minimum purchase amount on a Visa transaction that exceeded $10 (NOTE: U.S. merchants may require a minimum purchase amount on credit card transactions that does not exceed $10.)

The merchant required a minimum purchase amount on a Visa transaction that was made with a debit card.

The merchant displayed an improper Visa acceptance mark, did not display Visa signage or displayed Visa signage but refused to accept your Visa card.
Bearing in mind that a surcharge and service fee are not the same thing.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Domat
Nope reread the story. It isn't only reloadable cards.
Thanks. That's very interesting. I can google but a link would be much appreciated for the discussion.

http://www.pymnts.com/in-depth/2014/.../#.U6b81xZZJ0A

Not sure. Still reading this as reloadables.

“With respect to general purpose reloadable card activities, the bank shall not establish any new prepaid card program or issue any new prepaid card product, or establish any new distribution channel for existing prepaid card products,” the decree notes. The decree also places similar restrictions on the bank’s future credit card merchant-acquiring activities and the third parties it works with providing those services, including independent sales organizations.

I'm interested in other's thoughts.

Last edited by CVG_Kid; Jun 22, 2014 at 10:02 am
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:57 am

Bearing in mind that a surcharge and service fee are not the same thing.
How about my question regarding whether you've read, agreed to, and have abided by, the T&C of the card in question?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by RJP3
How about my question regarding whether you've read, agreed to, and have abided by, the T&C of the card in question?
I have but you'll have to be more specific if there is a provision you believe impacts this action by WalMart. What do you assert?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:09 am

Thanks. That's very interesting. I can google but a link would be much appreciated for the discussion.

http://www.pymnts.com/in-depth/2014/.../#.U6b81xZZJ0A

Not sure. Still reading this as reloadables.

“With respect to general purpose reloadable card activities, the bank shall not establish any new prepaid card program or issue any new prepaid card product, or establish any new distribution channel for existing prepaid card products,” the decree notes. The decree also places similar restrictions on the bank’s future credit card merchant-acquiring activities and the third parties it works with providing those services, including independent sales organizations.

I'm interested in other's thoughts.
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...collapsed.aspx

According to Bancorp's SEC filing, the FDIC has restricted the bank, until further notice, from issuing nonbenefit reloadable prepaid cards and from any automated clearing house transactions for merchant-related payments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.