FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1514089-problem-loading-bluebird-vanilla-visa-gc.html)

AXR64 Oct 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Greetings all,

A few days ago I bought for the first time a variable Vanilla Visa GC at CVS and loaded it with $500. Today I took it to WM to load Bluebird and it failed several times saying something like "Transaction not authorized" or "could not be processed". On the card it says select any 4-digit PIN at first use, and I just entered a random 4-digit number when prompted for PIN. Is that how it's supposed to work? Or do I need to use it for a "real" purchase first to set the PIN?

I've previously loaded the same BB card at the same WM with $200 Visa GCs bought at Staples without any issues, but only after setting PIN online before each load. There doesn't seem to be a way to set PIN at www.vanillavisa.com

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cuebert Oct 20, 2013 6:22 pm

The last time this happened I was buying a MO for $999.30. The cashier was mistakenly asking for the full $1k from the GC, getting an "Error 51." When she debited $500 at a time the cards worked fine.

Lemma Oct 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by AXR64 (Post 21639966)
Greetings all,

A few days ago I bought for the first time a variable Vanilla Visa GC at CVS and loaded it with $500. Today I took it to WM to load Bluebird and it failed several times saying something like "Transaction not authorized" or "could not be processed". On the card it says select any 4-digit PIN at first use, and I just entered a random 4-digit number when prompted for PIN. Is that how it's supposed to work? Or do I need to use it for a "real" purchase first to set the PIN?

I've previously loaded the same BB card at the same WM with $200 Visa GCs bought at Staples without any issues, but only after setting PIN online before each load. There doesn't seem to be a way to set PIN at www.vanillavisa.com

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You do not need to use the card for another purchase first for the Visa GC. But if you have entered a number already, maybe that is now set as the PIN. I always use 1234 so I'm not sure whether a failed attempt sets the PIN or not. I would recommend just trying again. Sometimes the GC decline for no discernable reason and they work on the second attempt. Also make sure the cashier is attempting the transaction for the correct amount. Most of my declines are because of cashier error where they tried to charge the full amount to a GC instead of splitting it up.

Also, I believe the Staples Visa GC are issued by MetaBank. If that is the case, you can use the last 4 digits of the card number as the PIN without setting it online. The MasterCards are issued by US Bank and I don't believe that works with them.

binnycode Oct 20, 2013 6:54 pm

Did you try it at the check out? I have had this happen before and figured that either the kiosk was down or vanilla was down. Tried a different wal-mart and it worked fine (had to use check out since kiosk was down).

The first 4 digit pin you enter is what the pin is set to. You can call the number on the back of the card to reset the pin though. Also, no need to make a "real purchase" first.

I bought a mygiftcardsite variable load GC and tried not setting the pin and using the last 4 of the card...bad move, the card was forever locked out from using as debit w/pin even after I called the number to set pin.

TKKY Oct 20, 2013 7:11 pm

I'd call the number on the card and make sure it was activated. If it isn't, there's a big problem

binnycode Oct 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Also, from this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...cards-174.html

It says: "For Vanilla Visa, wait an hour after you purchase to use the card. Otherwise, you will get a redemption error."
In the top wiki part.

Could have been the problem with mine, and yours.

pier11 Oct 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by binnycode (Post 21640224)
Also, from this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...cards-174.html

It says: "For Vanilla Visa, wait an hour after you purchase to use the card. Otherwise, you will get a redemption error."
In the top wiki part.

Could have been the problem with mine, and yours.

OP said he bought the card a few days ago. And attempted to load today. So should not be an issue.

AXR64 Oct 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The card is indeed activated and I see this when I look it up on the vanilla web site:

Available Gift Card Balance $500.00

I should be able to load the entire $500 to BB in one transaction, right?

Anyway, I cleared PIN online and will try again when I get a chance. Oh, and my previous transactions were at the customer service desk, there is no kiosk at this WM.

jerroranda Oct 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Try to break it up with 2 transactions 200/300. Works for me.

AXR64 Oct 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Update:

So I cleared PIN and went back to WM. Tried loading $500. Didn't go through, the message was "DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR CODE = F7".

Tried loading $300 - same message.

Went to another WM, tried loading $300 - same result.

www.vanillavisa.com still shows Available Gift Card Balance $500.00.

Anyone knows what this means or how to get around it?

Happy Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by AXR64 (Post 21658634)
So I cleared PIN and went back to WM. Tried loading $500. Didn't go through, the message was "DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR CODE = F7".

Tried loading $300 - same message.

Went to another WM, tried loading $300 - same result.

www.vanillavisa.com still shows Available Gift Card Balance $500.00.

Anyone knows what this means or how to get around it?

Have you called Vanilla to ask if the card is being blocked?

wcj Oct 23, 2013 9:32 pm

http://support.paperlesstrans.com/Pa...seMessages.pdf

seems to indicate that happy is correct. I have little patience for CSRs so I would liquidate in a different fashion and move on.

BostonFlyer1624 Oct 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Did my first MS this week!!! Seems quite easy (thanks to you all), and I can pay a lot of bills that would not allow credit card.

Can someone let me know if this process will set off any alarms or cause issues?

1. Buy Vanilla Reload
2. Load BB $1k per day, to $5k per month.
3. Pay bills

All using an AMEX card for buy $500 VR at CVS.

Will AMEX have issues with me spending so much money at CVS all the time? ($5-$6k per month?)

LoveMountains Oct 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 (Post 21662759)
Will AMEX have issues with me spending so much money at CVS all the time? ($5-$6k per month?)

You might want to review this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-merged.html

rdover1 Oct 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 (Post 21662759)
Did my first MS this week!!! Seems quite easy (thanks to you all), and I can pay a lot of bills that would not allow credit card.

Can someone let me know if this process will set off any alarms or cause issues?

1. Buy Vanilla Reload
2. Load BB $1k per day, to $5k per month.
3. Pay bills

All using an AMEX card for buy $500 VR at CVS.

In my view it depends upon your history with Amex. If you have a pattern of little to no spend, or no history this kind of pattern will set off their algorithms. If you're a long time customer with a history of spend and they know your AGI can cover it they won't care. Most of their loss-prevention algo's seem to be geared towards ensuring that spend on their cards can actually be paid for, not what it is for or who you spend it on.

In my case a FR is your friend and once through it you have carte blanche for a good long while.