Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rick471
I would try and register the card...well the zip code...since it's a Vanilla you can't register, thus why I never buy those.

Just for data point purpose try and register 1st and report back.
I don't think you can register Vanilla cards, as you said; I updated the zip code - didn't make any difference.

Also, I bought $200 Visa GC at Staples today and some other stuff, and the cashier insisted that GC purchase must be a separate transaction. As recently as last Wednesday there was no such requirement at the same Staples.

When I asked the cashier why it had to be a separate transaction, he said some people were using fradulent credit cards to pay for GCs, which is obvious nonsense, but I wonder if it's a first step to cash-only.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by AXR64
I don't think you can register Vanilla cards, as you said; I updated the zip code - didn't make any difference.

Also, I bought $200 Visa GC at Staples today and some other stuff, and the cashier insisted that GC purchase must be a separate transaction. As recently as last Wednesday there was no such requirement at the same Staples.

When I asked the cashier why it had to be a separate transaction, he said some people were using fradulent credit cards to pay for GCs, which is obvious nonsense, but I wonder if it's a first step to cash-only.
I believe that rule is to stop people (e.g. me...) from buying gift cards with gift cards. That's why my Staples instituted it anyways...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AXR64

Its not nonsense I know a couple that got burnt. Theres a city outside LA where all the CVSs refuse to sell any VR or GC with a CC since most of them in that city got burnt.

People on here might be happy with getting miles, plenty of folks don't want a 5% or even 10% cash back from these things they want 100% back.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Its not nonsense I know a couple that got burnt. Theres a city outside LA where all the CVSs refuse to sell any VR or GC with a CC since most of them in that city got burnt.

People on here might be happy with getting miles, plenty of folks don't want a 5% or even 10% cash back from these things they want 100% back.
How does requiring a GC purchase to be a separate transaction (still using CC) prevent fraud?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
I had several Chase GC's ($500) denied at Walmart on Saturday trying to pay a bill.... Are they shutting the door on us?
Originally Posted by iminsandiego
Do you have any other WalMarts that you can try at to see if it works elsewhere?
Hopefully Mon or Tue I can report back a new data point. and hopefully a positive one!!
Data point:

Tried a diff Walmart today. Big stack of CGC's cashed out between bill pay and mo no problem. Same one's that were denied at a different walmart across town.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:04 pm

Data point:

Tried a diff Walmart today. Big stack of CGC's cashed out between bill pay and mo no problem. Same one's that were denied at a different walmart across town.
Same experience for me. So I do think they are starting to shut the door on us some how. Not sure why it would only be happening at some WalMarts and not all though.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:52 am

Sam Problem for Me

Went to WM today to purchase three MOs. First MO went through just fine using $200 of "old style" VV. In the second MO, first two swipes were fine, using the old style, but I was only left with the new style and none would work. Had to void the second MO.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:54 pm

Having them VOID attracts too much attention. Always have another Debit card at the ready.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Having them VOID attracts too much attention. Always have another Debit card at the ready.
+1.

Always have a backup, people. You draw massive amounts of attention when you need to void the transaction.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
+1.

Always have a backup, people. You draw massive amounts of attention when you need to void the transaction.
Had plenty of back-up - problem is that they were all the new style VGCs. Tried to use them at a CVS this am. POS would not accept them as debit, and had to use as credit.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Had plenty of back-up - problem is that they were all the new style VGCs. Tried to use them at a CVS this am. POS would not accept them as debit, and had to use as credit.
It's not backup if the failure of one means the failure of all.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: DL, WoH
This is only for Vanilla Visas right? I only do metabank visas
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
This is only for Vanilla Visas right? I only do metabank visas
Correct, so far no reports of failure for Metabank cards.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Correct, so far no reports of failure for Metabank cards.
Yes, only new style Vanillas. Metabank and old style Vanillas all worked fine.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA

Got a new vanilla reload card and boy they are more delicate than before. I almost deleted the entire numbers. And I used my finger nail.

Maybe this has already being reported but if not I suggest to scratch very, very gently or risk removing the entire pin code.

I had to use a magnifying glass to recover some numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.