Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Netspend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:01 pm

newdoct,

I don't think that your load amounts were the problem. I have similar load history to you. Yet, my account is still active. I think the unload method triggered the shut down. Although another factor is that my account is close to 1.5 years old.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
newdoct,

I don't think that your load amounts were the problem. I have similar load history to you. Yet, my account is still active. I think the unload method triggered the shut down. Although another factor is that my account is close to 1.5 years old.
For the unload method, do you mean ACH pull from the credit card company, or more specifically from Amex ?

That might be possible, because that is my most recent transaction, and before that, my unload was through transferring to another bank account, Chase, for example.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by newdoct
For the unload method, do you mean ACH pull from the credit card company, or more specifically from Amex ?

That might be possible, because that is my most recent transaction, and before that, my unload was through transferring to another bank account, Chase, for example.
I don't think that's what he means--as I've been bill-paying (ACH) to AmEx for months. I think the transfer to another bank just sets. them. off. (remember their business model is the un/underbanked...we're 'not supposed to have other accounts')
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by AveApostle
I don't think that's what he means--as I've been bill-paying (ACH) to AmEx for months. I think the transfer to another bank just sets. them. off. (remember their business model is the un/underbanked...we're 'not supposed to have other accounts')
yes, a pull to a bank account is a red flag, I would say. Pull from Amex probably isn't good either. I tend to overthink things but a pull from a visa or mastercard is a little more credible as those networks offer secured credit cards. Although, secured credit cards are usually quite small limits, like $250-1500.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:27 am

update, just received the check from Netspend, and it is actually shipped by UPS 2nd day air!

Glad to get all my money back, including the fund of 500 which was still in the reload pack when account was closed. They also calculate some interest based on what I have left in my savings account. Not too bad. The only problem might be the MSer does not fit their business model.

Not sure if I should try their product again in future, but seems not worth the effort right now.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by newdoct
update, just received the check from Netspend, and it is actually shipped by UPS 2nd day air!

Glad to get all my money back, including the fund of 500 which was still in the reload pack when account was closed. They also calculate some interest based on what I have left in my savings account. Not too bad. The only problem might be the MSer does not fit their business model.

Not sure if I should try their product again in future, but seems not worth the effort right now.
Probably not.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:29 pm

Anyone know if there is a lifetime limit on Netspends (i.e., not accounts open at once, but total accounts you can have)?

I'm very frustrated with my local Valero, which has very Friendly cashiers but an utter lack of good MS instruments. They have the starter packs for Netspend and PP Prepaid Debit (the latter charges another $5 fee to the acc. once you 'activate' it, atop the $4.95 purchase so I'd like to avoid it) and a whole crapton of OVs that cannot be activated (all of the various cashiers claim that OVs just don't work there and they have no idea why they even carry them; you can't even do it with cash; the system won't recognize it). However, its my only friendly gas station.

My current (and terrible) strategy has been to grab a NS, activate it, BP to Amex with the routing+acc number, and then close it. I'm on my 4th, which I've read somewhere (but I can't remember *where*) is the 'limit'; I'm wary of shutting this one down or buying a 5th with no way of activating it.

Any similar stories, or any advice as to what to do with this somewhat awkward situation? PMs are also welcomed.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:39 am

I signed up for this since my local gas station has Netspend reloads and wanted to experiment with loading via CC. That didn't go so well but I did get this email:

Now that you know about NetSpend, how easy direct deposit is, and the thousands of convenient reload locations, you can help your friends and family take control of their money, too, by referring them. If they sign up and load a new card with at least $40, we'll say thanks by giving you both $20!1

Don’t miss out on your $20 payday. Add money to your card and start referring your friends today!

Decent consolation prize - I'm pretty sure I can sucker a few friends into signing up for this and loading $40 so we both get a free $20.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:59 pm

Netspend Reloadit

My local grocery store has recently started carrying Reloadit packs (the colored ones) with Netspend listed on top left corner. I have used the colored Reloadit packs, but without Netspend listed on it, to successfully load serve. Has anyone used these "branded" Reloadit packs to load serve or any other prepaid card, other than Netspend?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ACVid
My local grocery store has recently started carrying Reloadit packs (the colored ones) with Netspend listed on top left corner. I have used the colored Reloadit packs, but without Netspend listed on it, to successfully load serve. Has anyone used these "branded" Reloadit packs to load serve or any other prepaid card, other than Netspend?
Have not personally used them but TMobile.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Any and All
If I was shut down by Netspend 1 year ago, can I sign up again for a new one?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mikeyb45
I signed up for this since my local gas station has Netspend reloads and wanted to experiment with loading via CC. That didn't go so well but I did get this email:

Now that you know about NetSpend, how easy direct deposit is, and the thousands of convenient reload locations, you can help your friends and family take control of their money, too, by referring them. If they sign up and load a new card with at least $40, we'll say thanks by giving you both $20!1

Don’t miss out on your $20 payday. Add money to your card and start referring your friends today!

Decent consolation prize - I'm pretty sure I can sucker a few friends into signing up for this and loading $40 so we both get a free $20.
I'll take a refferal. I have good access to Reloadits, and don't want to put to much throught T-mobile. So what I've gotten from this thread is:
-Stay under 3500, definitely 5000 for the month
- ACH pull not so bad, bank transfer no bueno
- How about MO or bill pay? Any safer?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:03 am

These are put out by Blackhawk, I believe, and I have seen them at one of my local groceries-- though they have them coded as cash-only, so my one attempt to purchase was shot down. I have another store nearby that does sell me PayPower cards with CC (despite stating cash only on the front), and this same store is identified as being a retailer of Reloadit packs, so perhaps they will arrive there soon.

Others have reported no problem loading Serve and BB with Blackhawk Reloadits, so they should work. For me, though, I have ample and easy access to WM for Serve loads via WM and Kate, so unless the Reloadits pose an additional, low-risk opportunity (as was the case with Green Dot MPs, where I could load those to PP the same way as PPMCs for an additional $4K per month), they don't hold a ton of interest for me.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HH, Delta, SW
Ya, mine did to. I've been wary of NS in the past, but now I'm interested since I've been maxing my accessible BBs for the last several months.

I guess I'll be the guinea on this one. I'll report on how it goes. My hope is to be able to unload about 2k/mo on this card. If anyone has experience or recs about his card and how to avoid shutdown on this bad boy I'd be interested. I don't mean to go hard, just want to supplement the BBs.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by JTxm
Ya, mine did to. I've been wary of NS in the past, but now I'm interested since I've been maxing my accessible BBs for the last several months.

I guess I'll be the guinea on this one. I'll report on how it goes. My hope is to be able to unload about 2k/mo on this card. If anyone has experience or recs about his card and how to avoid shutdown on this bad boy I'd be interested. I don't mean to go hard, just want to supplement the BBs.
I bought three yesterday and loaded them, one after another, to my Serve card with no problems. They post to Serve as a cash load, so I believe you can do $2K a day, up to the $5K monthly limit.

I just ordered and received an Account Now pre-paid Visa with my name on it-- the pay-as-you go version with no monthly fees. I am going to try slowly ramping up with this card using ReloadIts and dumping via BP. Anyone else have experience with Account Now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.