Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjangoo
The OD in downtown Chicago will refuse to carry the $200 gcs because of "fraud and those Ink cards." I had mixed results at the other locations up north.
My only problem on Sun was finding an OD with the $200 GCs. When I did no problem using my CC to buy them

Ran into a problem at 1 of their new editions, the 1st store sold me 9 $200s w/o saying boo, the next store not far from the 1st, the cashier calls her mgr who presents me with a paper I need to fill out completely, insuring me its for internal use only. When I tried to turn the paper over she had her palm on it so I couldnt do so. She was distracted for a moment and lifted her palm and I quickly turned it over and read it where it said the other side Must be filled out for purchases of $2000 or more.

I told her since I wasnt spending $2k theres no reason for me to fill it out,I further said if it didnt have any amount indicated I wouldnt have any issue filling it out but in as much as I was purchasing < the $2k indicated I refuse to fill it out. She said my total amount was close enough to warrant it being filled out. I said can I please have your name and employye # if any, so the next time I purchase $47.73 from your .com site I will tell CS that since my total was close enough to the min $50 needed for free shipping I shouldnt be charged for shipping. She stood there like an idiot with fire coming out of her eyes as I walked away. I wonder what they did with the GCs since the cashier already started ringing them up and removed the strip from the back of all of them

No problems with any OS I went into. I just like having severval vendors instead of the same 1 every time popping up on my statement

All in all a very successful drive back home from the airport I flew out of, wish it was as easy near where I live

Last edited by craz; Oct 2, 2013 at 11:09 am
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:23 pm

office depot 200 visa

so went into an office depot today and the register charged sales tax and the $6.95 for a $200 vanilla visa. this store did not do that a month ago so asked a manager and he said its their new policy. so now its over $220 instead of $206.95.

anyone see this ?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by RJ5929
Can you please tell me where that sign is? I will try? I remember the computer showing a popup saying cash only for such cards and it did not go through or the cashier did not want to try. I tried at least two cards at a time. May be I should try just one.
I went to this store in McKinney, TX today that was talked about. They gave me a little more resistance than before. They first told me no. I pointed out that it says yes. They called a manager over. He said they can't do it. I again pointed out where the sign says yes. He said they'll try it but it would "definitely not let it go through" - I said fine. Some screen popped up about merch tender (which from what I see pops up on all gift card transactions - I believe it means you can't buy gift cards with gift cards) - I said you can hit okay and do it. He said he wouldn't do it. When I started to get fake-angry about how their sign says it is allowed and you shouldn't have corporate signs advertising one thing and make up your own policy - he said the store manager was eating lunch and would go ask the store manager. When he came back, he apologized and the transaction magically went through.

I generally find that polite assertion will get the job done in these cases.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by bailey911
so went into an office depot today and the register charged sales tax and the $6.95 for a $200 vanilla visa. this store did not do that a month ago so asked a manager and he said its their new policy. so now its over $220 instead of $206.95.

anyone see this ?
This doesn't sound legal?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
This doesn't sound legal?
well I called vanilla customer service and they said they are aware of some vendors charging sales tax along with the 6.95.this is for cash purchases too.

who wants to spend over $20 in fees on a 200 visa gift card?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:43 am
Suspended

anyone see this ?
nope,but I do check the total before actually swiping my CC, and if I had seen tax being charged I never would swipe my CC and if they refused to remove it Id simply walk out and drive to another OS

Last edited by craz; Oct 2, 2013 at 11:05 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by craz
My only problem on Sun was finding an OD with the $200 GCs. When I did no problem using my CC to buy them

Ran into a problem at 1 of their new editions, the 1st store sold me 9 $200s w/o saying boo, the next store not far from the 1st, the cashier calls her mgr who presents me with a paper I need to fill out completely, insurring me its for internal use only. When I tried to turn the paper over she had her palm on it so I couldnt do so. She was distarcted for a moment and lifted her palm and I quickly turned it over and read it where it said it teh other side Must be filled out for purcahses of $2000 or more.

I told her since I wasnt spending $2k theres no reason for me to fill it out,I further said if it didnt have any amount indicated I wouldnt have any issue filling it out but in as much as I was purchasing < the $2k indicated I refuse to fill it out. She said my total amount was close enough to warrant it being filled out. I said can I please have your name and employye # if any, so the next time I purchase $47.73 from your .com site I will tell CS that since my total was close enough to the min $40 needed for free shipping I shouldnt be charged for shipping. She stood there like an idiot with fire coming out of her eyes as I walked away. I wonder what they did with the GCs since the cashier already started ringing them up and removed the strip from the back of all of them

No problems with any S I went into. I just like having severval vendors instead of the same 1 every time popping up on my statement

All in all a very successful drive back home from the airport I flew out of, wish it was as easy near where I live
Haha loving this!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:52 pm

anyone see this ?
This happened to me in downtown Chicago yesterday. I looked at the total and walked away.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hambone47
This happened to me in downtown Chicago yesterday. I looked at the total and walked away.
I also wonderif this is legal.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:49 pm

anyone see this ?
So essentially you're paying twice the sales tax.. Once when you purchase the gift card then again when making a purchase using that gift card. This can't be right..
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I told her since I wasnt spending $2k theres no reason for me to fill it out,I further said if it didnt have any amount indicated I wouldnt have any issue filling it out but in as much as I was purchasing < the $2k indicated I refuse to fill it out. She said my total amount was close enough to warrant it being filled out. I said can I please have your name and employye # if any, so the next time I purchase $47.73 from your .com site I will tell CS that since my total was close enough to the min $50 needed for free shipping I shouldnt be charged for shipping. She stood there like an idiot with fire coming out of her eyes as I walked away.
This is the definition of awesome!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:37 pm

well I called vanilla customer service and they said they are aware of some vendors charging sales tax along with the 6.95.this is for cash purchases too.

who wants to spend over $20 in fees on a 200 visa gift card?
Since it's tax exempt, I wonder if they're actually filing it or if their pocketing it. If the latter, even though they are in the right to tack on whatever "fees" they want, I don't think they can legally claim it as sales tax to the consumer. Either way, it would make for an interesting class action lawsuit if this becomes the norm.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Went into another OD yesterday and again no problems getting the 200s. Unlike today when I went into a S to p/u 3 to round off my Birds max. The mgr told the cashier to call up my CC issuer to make sure its OK for me to be using the CC.

The cashier kept trying to tell the rep on the phone that I was buying GCs, cant remember ever buying so few. From what I heard it seemed the rep asked did you see the persons ID, and was told yes its Mr Craz , so I imagine the rep kept saying theres no problem on our end, and the cashier kept saying he wants to buy GCs and the rep seemed to have said who cares what hes buying you asked if its OK on our end,I said yes whats your problem. The cashier must have tried 6 times to get in I was getting GCs but only 1 time did so but quickly answered whatever question the rep asked her

In the end the mgr said they call for preauthorization > $100 on GCs, its Company policy. I wanted to say " hey IDIOT heres my receipt from yesterday and I got 9 GCs w/o any call by that store", not worth getting blacklisted.

With the GCs from Sun I went to 2 WMs to load the birdies and it took me waiting on the reg lines forever since when it was my turn the cashier looked at me and said "what am I suppose to do with this (the BB)" @ store 1 I went to 4 cashiers before finally finding 1 that knew what to do and what the BB was, store 2 not as bad cashier #3. No kyosk @ #2, #1 had it but some women was dumb and trying to use it as an ATM, guess she didnt know its for MOs and loading BBs only (LoL), there were 4 others waiting behind her so I thought the cashiers would be best, what a mistake
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Went into another OD yesterday and again no problems getting the 200s. Unlike today when I went into a S to p/u 3 to round off my Birds max. The mgr told the cashier to call up my CC issuer to make sure its OK for me to be using the CC.

The cashier kept trying to tell the rep on the phone that I was buying GCs, cant remember ever buying so few. From what I heard it seemed the rep asked did you see the persons ID, and was told yes its Mr Craz , so I imagine the rep kept saying theres no problem on our end, and the cashier kept saying he wants to buy GCs and the rep seemed to have said who cares what hes buying you asked if its OK on our end,I said yes whats your problem. The cashier must have tried 6 times to get in I was getting GCs but only 1 time did so but quickly answered whatever question the rep asked her

In the end the mgr said they call for preauthorization > $100 on GCs, its Company policy. I wanted to say " hey IDIOT heres my receipt from yesterday and I got 9 GCs w/o any call by that store", not worth getting blacklisted.

With the GCs from Sun I went to 2 WMs to load the birdies and it took me waiting on the reg lines forever since when it was my turn the cashier looked at me and said "what am I suppose to do with this (the BB)" @ store 1 I went to 4 cashiers before finally finding 1 that knew what to do and what the BB was, store 2 not as bad cashier #3. No kyosk @ #2, #1 had it but some women was dumb and trying to use it as an ATM, guess she didnt know its for MOs and loading BBs only (LoL), there were 4 others waiting behind her so I thought the cashiers would be best, what a mistake
Any chance you'd be willing to film these escapades and create a reality show? The interactions you are having are too darn funny. I can't get over how many clerks presume that buying GCs with a CC is fraudulent without having an inkling of why it would be so.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:08 am

Welp....low and behold it finally caught up to me. Local OD said cash only on ALL gift cards. Was in there a few weeks back with no issues. May give it one more go as it may have been misinterpreted by this particular employee. Didn't have time to debate.

Was RDU area for those interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.