Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I was never able to find any MBs @ OD , only some vanilla. However OM (whom OD took over) had MBs and no vanilla.
Originally Posted by FTRox87
MB... the same as Staples I believe. but could be USB, def not Vanilla though.
The one OD out in LAX area that I have checked so far only sold Vanillas for both variable and fixed. Haven't checked out other ODs to see if they sell Vanillas as well or perhaps if OM sells MBs to take advantage of the OD/OM Amex Offer. I prefer the easier liquidation route.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Regional may be?

All my friends on the Eastern seaboard from North (New England and NYC) to South (down to Florida) have the same findings like mine..

May be West coast or Midwest have something different.
Strange. I dont go there often, because its not on any of my normal routes, but Ive been by twice in the last year and saw, and bought, them there. I much prefer staples, or OM if there are deals. Unless, somehow, someone brought them from another location lol. I guess thats possible, but I would think they wouldnt ring up, and why would they be on the racks. Maybe part of the OD/OM merger? No idea. To add, there were two large racks at the front, one with all the vanilla variety cards, and one with the rest of the cards like you would see at an OM. This location was never an OM to begin with though, so its not a change over in name or anything.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:00 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by craz
I was never able to find any MBs @ OD , only some vanilla. However OM (whom OD took over) had MBs and no vanilla.
interesting, no vanillas at a few stores I checked in town here.

Originally Posted by Happy
You confuse OfficeMax with OD.
wrong. I do not confuse retailers.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:00 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Actually not wrong info and not correct. My OD (not confusing it with OM) has non variable $200 visas/mcs just like the ones at staples. They also have the vanilla variables, but we all know those are cash only hardcoded. My OD also has HD. So perhaps, it is only your ODs and not a nationwide thing.
this! though I've never seen any vanillas at my local stores at either OD or OM.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The one OD out in LAX area that I have checked so far only sold Vanillas for both variable and fixed. Haven't checked out other ODs to see if they sell Vanillas as well or perhaps if OM sells MBs to take advantage of the OD/OM Amex Offer. I prefer the easier liquidation route.
interesting, the complete opposite for me... looks like it is very regional. perhaps regional contracts by the diff banks with the respective OD/OMs to carry diff combinations of products.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Strange. I dont go there often, because its not on any of my normal routes, but Ive been by twice in the last year and saw, and bought, them there. I much prefer staples, or OM if there are deals. Unless, somehow, someone brought them from another location lol. I guess thats possible, but I would think they wouldnt ring up, and why would they be on the racks. Maybe part of the OD/OM merger? No idea. To add, there were two large racks at the front, one with all the vanilla variety cards, and one with the rest of the cards like you would see at an OM. This location was never an OM to begin with though, so its not a change over in name or anything.
You may not be aware that OD's HQ is in my area. NONE of the OD down here ever carry the MB cards. As I said, even the regular retailer cards are very slim picking. I could have bought a few hundreds of HD for our renovation efforts. Alas, no dice, have to go to OM next time we are out and about.

They are closing down locations based on which location has the shorter lease. This OD is literally across street from an OM at a nice plaza which has Whole Food and Sam's plus HD among other smaller retilers. But the OM has a shorter lease so they closed down the OM and kept the crummy OD open.

OM has a much nicer set up inside its store and usually friendlier staff, but always is a weaker competitor. They do not plan to merge stores anytime soon based on the OM employees I talk to.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:20 am

Quick question: Anyone have an opinion as to which major office supply store is best for the purchase of non-debit card equivalent gift cards with a credit card? Really I'm just looking to buy a variety of Amazon cards (or similar) for gifts...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by trouble747
Quick question: Anyone have an opinion as to which major office supply store is best for the purchase of non-debit card equivalent gift cards with a credit card? Really I'm just looking to buy a variety of Amazon cards (or similar) for gifts...
Its probably ymmv, but my OM always has the best selection, probably because no one ever really steps foot in the door for anything....
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
I'm pretty sure they all carry Amazon gift cards.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:13 pm

I tried to purchase a 50$ amazon gift card at OM today in NYC (brooklyn) and was told no credit cards for gift card purchases. Infact the manager came over and informed thats it is corporate policy and you are not allowed to purchase credit with credit . Also i didnt even ask for the manager
but the cashier was wanted to make sure
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by recklessmax
I tried to purchase a 50$ amazon gift card at OM today in NYC (brooklyn) and was told no credit cards for gift card purchases. Infact the manager came over and informed thats it is corporate policy and you are not allowed to purchase credit with credit . Also i didnt even ask for the manager
but the cashier was wanted to make sure
Where are all these stupid managers that come out of the woodwork and claim that GCs are credit. That manager is full of crap.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I purchased $11,000.00 HIGC today at OD.

No problem.

Did 7,000 last week same area.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
My local OfficeDepot is asking for cash only for not just the variable Vanilla gift card, but the eBay MyCash reload cards too! Walked over to the nearest OfficeMax and had a much happier experience.

Don't forget the $10 off $50 AMEX OfficeDepot/OfficeMax offer
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:17 am

What is Ebay MyCash or MB?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:43 am

OM took the SPG for the AMEX offer today just $200..5 min..easy
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by satman40
I purchased $11,000.00 HIGC today at OD.

No problem.

Did 7,000 last week same area.
Forgive me for prying, but what in the world do you do with them now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.