Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
What about for the home-improvement card? That's a variable card, but it's not an open card like a Visa or Amex.
There's a store in OC that has signage of which cards can be bought with which payment type. All variable MC and Visa are Cash. All fixed value can be bought with credit. But then they had a shopping section which had PayPal reloads and Amazon 20-500 variables which said credit and cash. The register was hard coded against the Paypal but I was able to buy the Amazon.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
who will buy those gift cards by cash?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by happy9zz
Somebody who doesn't want to answer questions about why he or she is always carrying/depositing so much cash-- drug dealer, prostitute, bookie, somebody who just won a lot of money from a bookie, waiter, bartender, owner of an all-cash business who hides income to avoid taxes...

It's also probably a very easy way to get around annual U.S. tax free limits on giving to individuals/family members.

... And it would probably be a convenient way to get around the $10k limits of currency one brings into and out of many countries.

Maybe we need another thread on using Office Depot for money-laundering

Last edited by ps9a; Feb 11, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by GBS2005
There's a store in OC that has signage of which cards can be bought with which payment type. All variable MC and Visa are Cash. All fixed value can be bought with credit. But then they had a shopping section which had PayPal reloads and Amazon 20-500 variables which said credit and cash. The register was hard coded against the Paypal but I was able to buy the Amazon.
I'm a frequent Amazon shopper, so I'd be ok with that...
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by happy9zz
maybe the person in front of me at walmart the other day who was loading their walmart cash card and asked to put 30 on the card, the CSR said there is a 3 dollar fee so they said okay put 27 on it and handed over 30 in cash.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:20 pm
Suspended

got the dope from a mgr today

after finding bare cupboards at a bunch of Ss I decided to try some ODs, 1st zippo, 2nd jackpot! my luck the cashier is there < 1 week and needed to get approval 1st from 1 person and then had to get the mgr.

The mgr came checked my ID and asked why I was buying so many I told him and he said great idea. I asked if there was any problems and then proceeded to tell me how people used to come in and buy all these variable cards with an INK CC and then take them to an ATM and get ca$h, and at the same time they would be earning 4-5% per card and making all sorts of money. Thats why OD put an end to buying a PP or VRL with a CC and then decided its best to include all RLs.

OK how I didnt burst out laughing right in their face I have no idea, but there you have it no more CCs for PP or VRLs since people would take that card to an ATM and get ca$h for it

Last edited by craz; Feb 27, 2014 at 6:00 pm
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by craz
after finding bare cupboards at a bunch of Ss I decided to try some ODs, 1st zippo, 2nd jackpot! my luck teh cashier is theer < 1 week and neded to get approval 1st from 1 person and then had to get the mgr. The mgr came checked my ID and asked why Iw as buying so many I told him and he said great idea. I asked if theer was any problems and then proceeded to tell me how people used to come in and buy all these variable cards with an INK CC and then take them to an ATM and get ca$h, and at the same time they would be earning 4-5% per card and making all sorts of money. Thats why OD put an end to buying a PP or VRL with a CC and then decided its best to include all RLs.

OK how I didnt burst out laughing right in their face I have no idea, but there you have it no more CCs for PP or VRLs since people would take that card to an ATM and get ca$h for it
So you never really finished your story. So were you successful or not at OD to get VR's?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
So you never really finished your story. So were you successful or not at OD to get VR's?
not the VRs, but the fixed amounts no problem. In the area I frequent 1 of 4 is ca$h only. Problem was in Cali they have the newer designs in the Gold pkg, I perfer the green pkg. The newer pkg had problems back in Dec since they were the series 18 and not 35s. So GIFT is written in very large letters harder to hide if 1 needs to on the new cards. Same today of the 2 I went to only the 2nd had the green pkgs
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:43 pm

Amazon gift cards cash only

Tried to buy amazon gift cards today at Office Depot and told cash only.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by danray
Tried to buy amazon gift cards today at Office Depot and told cash only.
That would be a very bad development
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:19 pm

So, if you can only buy fixed value cards, what is the maximum value visa/mastercard debit card? I seem to recall only seeing $100 fixed value and all the others were variable($25-500).

I just ask because it doesn't make much sense to pay the fees if you can only buy $100.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by spenny
So, if you can only buy fixed value cards, what is the maximum value visa/mastercard debit card? I seem to recall only seeing $100 fixed value and all the others were variable($25-500).

I just ask because it doesn't make much sense to pay the fees if you can only buy $100.
I saw some $400s Visas last night at Target (not OD, sorry.) $5.95 was the price IIRC.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by spenny

$200
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Pure speculation, but I have a sneaking suspicion that $200 VGCs may be going the way of the dodo at OD. Went to my normal store and they only had 2 on the rack. Picked those up and went to a second store. They had no 200 VGCs, not even a slot on the rack for them. Asked and the guy grabbed the inventory sheet - not even listed (as in they aren't selling them)... Went to a third store. Again, no 200s on the rack. Guy went and checked for me and showed none in stock in any store in the area....

Again, speculation based on a few data points, but it certainly seems odd.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Pure speculation, but I have a sneaking suspicion that $200 VGCs may be going the way of the dodo at OD. Went to my normal store and they only had 2 on the rack. Picked those up and went to a second store. They had no 200 VGCs, not even a slot on the rack for them. Asked and the guy grabbed the inventory sheet - not even listed (as in they aren't selling them)... Went to a third store. Again, no 200s on the rack. Guy went and checked for me and showed none in stock in any store in the area....

Again, speculation based on a few data points, but it certainly seems odd.
Still got plenty here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.