Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:28 pm

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:29 pm

Tried at local OD , McKinney, TX. CASH only for all gift cards. Declined at register.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:18 am

The party was good while it lasted.

10952 Cash only
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
For the folks that are getting cash only responses: is this happening at every location in your area?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by yeki89
The party was good while it lasted.

10952 Cash only
For $100 and $200 Visa GCs too?

Clearly the party isn't completely over, as some ODs are still selling the $200 ones and accepting CC payments.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mooper
For $100 and $200 Visa GCs too?

Clearly the party isn't completely over, as some ODs are still selling the $200 ones and accepting CC payments.
were you there today? I was able to get some last week while in the LA area, was planning on an OD run this Sun. Since I will be passing by 1 anyway and not going out of my way I will drop in and hope.

With OM becoming OD 11/1 they too may be out the game before long. Leaving 1 to go. Which I just hit but man are the lines long to checkout everyone mother is out buying school supplies, dont they have any sympathy as the Game is slowly closing down on us
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:27 pm

I'm in the south. Bought $1k worth of $200 GCs. Required a manager override, but everything went smoothly.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:36 pm

hit 2 ODs in Chicago area, so far so good,
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by craz
were you there today? I was able to get some last week while in the LA area, was planning on an OD run this Sun. Since I will be passing by 1 anyway and not going out of my way I will drop in and hope.
Has been a few days, but will try again soon and report back. As of a week ago, variables @ OD were cash-only, but $100 and $200 fixed were still fine by CC.

Fortunately, thanks to your tip, found a good local VR source that makes the GCs less desirable (for now).
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by Anthony Shin
Though it may be profitable, it seems its not worth the hassle for OD managers. One manager specifically told me, "it messes up the numbers", whatever that means. Thats the only one thats ever said anything, but every manager that has had to do the override never seems happy when I walk out with $2,000 worth of Visa GC's. Guessing they have a reason.
Think part of it is that frankly, people outside the game have no inkling of why someone would need to buy large quantities of gift cards. They either suspect you're money laundering (yo' I'm using a credit card and showing you my ID), or up to no good. Hell, I had one staples employee ask me if I was interested in selling them for a cash discount while I was checking out.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
For the folks that are getting cash only responses: is this happening at every location in your area?
Went to 4 places, 2 had bare cupboards, the other 2 no problem using a CC for the Fixed cards
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Fortunately, thanks to your tip, found a good local VR source that makes the GCs less desirable (for now).
Wonder why I ran into not being to get any more, while you have no prob. Anyway happy I was able to help another FTer out

* Folks if you dont live in moopers neck of the woods, you wont have the location as he said , its a local (or state) chain
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Just tried to purchase $100 in retail gift cards from Office Depot in San Francisco and was told cash only.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:04 am

Has been a few days, but will try again soon and report back. As of a week ago, variables @ OD were cash-only, but $100 and $200 fixed were still fine by CC.

Originally Posted by craz
Wonder why I ran into not being to get any more, while you have no prob. Anyway happy I was able to help another FTer out

* Folks if you dont live in moopers neck of the woods, you wont have the location as he said , its a local (or state) chain
UPDATE: $200 Visa GCs now cash only, like the rest, at my OD too. Oh well... lasted a little longer here, but eventually caught up.

Still strong on the VR source you tipped us to, Craz, so thanks again for that.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Think part of it is that frankly, people outside the game have no inkling of why someone would need to buy large quantities of gift cards. They either suspect you're money laundering (yo' I'm using a credit card and showing you my ID), or up to no good. Hell, I had one staples employee ask me if I was interested in selling them for a cash discount while I was checking out.
But on the same token, who really buys a $200 gift card and pays cash for it? Even if I weren't in the miles/points game, I couldn't see myself buying a gift card like that with cash. Hell, I rarely keep that much cash on me. At least with a credit or debit card you have SOME protection. My first thought would be that I would have little to no recourse if there was a problem with a gift card activation and I had paid cash.

Now large quantities may seem suspicious, but I just don't know what's going to happen to all these gift cards they have in stock. WHO REALLY pays for these things with cash?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.