Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by mooper
Sign up for Plink, link your Chase Ink account, and it becomes $4.95. Almost as good!
Thanks for that^ Hadn't really looked into that. A little new to the game
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:50 pm

New to Forum - OD and Vanilla Rewards Quick Questions

Hi All,

I've been through nearly all 24 pages of this thread. I'm new to American Express's BlueBird and Vanilla Rewards. I'm based out of Utah.

What's the status now? And, what's the best scenario for paying a mortgage and other "hard to pay" bills using this sort of approach going forward in 2014?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM/DM me if necessary.

Thanks in advance! I'll do my best to contribute as well.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by visitrak6
Hi All,

I've been through nearly all 24 pages of this thread. I'm new to American Express's BlueBird and Vanilla Rewards. I'm based out of Utah.

What's the status now? And, what's the best scenario for paying a mortgage and other "hard to pay" bills using this sort of approach going forward in 2014?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM/DM me if necessary.

Thanks in advance! I'll do my best to contribute as well.
Check your inbox for the message I sent you
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:18 pm

Is this dead?

I just got a Chase Ink. I called OD in San Diego today and asked if they had Vanilla Reloads she said yes and I said great can I buy that with my credit card today? And she said sure I don't see why not. Waiting for the card to arrive in the mail and will check it out. Any one have any luck in the SD area?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
It won't work. VRs are hardcoded at the register to disallow purchases with CC.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:49 pm

Thanks, figured it was worth a shot... I can still buy Visa gifts cards right? Any max spends on those? Looking to hit my $5K min spend while getting 25,000 miles if possible. Planning a RTW award flight for 2015 through star alliance. I've done 4 credit card signups already so looking to diversify.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by kamelia52
Thanks, figured it was worth a shot... I can still buy Visa gifts cards right? Any max spends on those? Looking to hit my $5K min spend while getting 25,000 miles if possible. Planning a RTW award flight for 2015 through star alliance. I've done 4 credit card signups already so looking to diversify.
No. ALL GCs are cash only
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
No. ALL GCs are cash only
Wrong. Variable loads are cash only. However the fixed value ones are generally available with CC. I bought some $200 Vanilla Visas there a few weeks ago.

There may be some stores that are carrying a different policy, but many have reported what I have experienced.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Wrong. Variable loads are cash only. However the fixed value ones are generally available with CC. I bought some $200 Vanilla Visas there a few weeks ago.

There may be some stores that are carrying a different policy, but many have reported what I have experienced.
All the 200 dollar GCS are gone before I can get my hands on them. This is at any Office store in my area. I need to branch out more.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by jasonvr

Is $200 Vanilla Visa's the norm now at Office Depot? I stopped there yesterday and they had the variable load $25-$500 at the store I went to. They looked like the ones I normally buy at grocery stores.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by kamelia52
I just got a Chase Ink. I called OD in San Diego today and asked if they had Vanilla Reloads she said yes and I said great can I buy that with my credit card today? And she said sure I don't see why not. Waiting for the card to arrive in the mail and will check it out. Any one have any luck in the SD area?
And, by the way, stop calling places like this and asking questions like that.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
And, by the way, stop calling places like this and asking questions like that.
+ this is how it ruins for every body and never works in the end
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:15 pm

Large sign stating cash only for any variable load card at office depot in nashvile, can pay with cc for fixed load.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by aGeist
Large sign stating cash only for any variable load card at office depot in nashvile, can pay with cc for fixed load.
That makes sense. Fixed load looks more like a product.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:24 pm

What about for the home-improvement card? That's a variable card, but it's not an open card like a Visa or Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.