Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by RJ5929
Tried at local OD , McKinney, TX. CASH only for all gift cards. Declined at register.
I was told cash only for all gift cards at this same location and walked them to the sign where it said it was acceptable. They rang it up.

Did you do that, too?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:48 am

This actually makes me mad the more I think about it.

I'm a capitalist at heart - I believe every company has the right to set whatever policies they want. If they don't want to sell gift cards with credit cards for whatever reason, I 110% support that.

What I don't support is them having a sign up from CORPORATE in most places that say "Fixed Cards" Can be paid with cash, credit, or debit - and then deny you. The first place that denies me that doesn't have a piece of paper up over that sign is going to get an earful from me. Now, if there's a sign up - that's just a cost of manufactured spending, and a wasted trip - and I don't mind that at all.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:49 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by rionio77
Now large quantities may seem suspicious, but I just don't know what's going to happen to all these gift cards they have in stock. WHO REALLY pays for these things with cash?
Teenagers who are too young for bank accounts and want to spend their allowance money online.

The 10 million "unbanked" households in the US.

People who want to give the cards as gifts (imagine that!).
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cbn42
Teenagers who are too young for bank accounts and want to spend their allowance money online.

The 10 million "unbanked" households in the US.

People who want to give the cards as gifts (imagine that!).
...and businesses who want to give them away as incentives.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by horseymen
I was told cash only for all gift cards at this same location and walked them to the sign where it said it was acceptable. They rang it up.

Did you do that, too?
Can you please tell me where that sign is? I will try? I remember the computer showing a popup saying cash only for such cards and it did not go through or the cashier did not want to try. I tried at least two cards at a time. May be I should try just one.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:16 am

It will kind of look like this (best I can find in google images)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/s0ye.jpg/

And in the small print, it will say fixed value cards can be paid with cash, credit or debit. The screen does pop up with something, but they can okay it.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:32 am

I had an old OD gift card lying around, and I tried to guy a fixed-value Visa in one transaction, and a fixed-value Shell GC in another. Both times, the register refused to allow use of the OD gift card (cashier was happy to attempt it).
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:38 pm

So what's the official status of OD fixed cards? I'm reading mixed reports.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:50 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I know ST still allows it, but has does anyone know if OM still allows CC purchases?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:06 pm

Yes my OM allowed me to buy GCs with CC, but they called my credit card for authorization first...
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I think it depends onthe store. The one near my house lets me do it.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:50 pm

figured I would give it the old college try today at one my local OD. no go - I saw the register, it popups stating cash only.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:05 pm

at my office depot, you can still purchase the higc with a cc. the manager at first said he thinks its cash only but then the cash only sign didnt pop up on the register and it went through fine.

although i have been to another OD and the manager said they removed all the higc's due to "fraud" so i just chuckled and left.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:34 pm

The OD in downtown Chicago will refuse to carry the $200 gcs because of "fraud and those Ink cards." I had mixed results at the other locations up north.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:04 am

Office Depot will soon be accepting cash only for gift card purchases

I get a little uneasy feeling in my stomach each time I go to my local OD, but so far so good... They're still taking CC for fixed value gc's and the variable Kindle gc. I really hope this doesn't dry up...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.