Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Originally Posted by neuro0
OD at Houston:
Variable load GCs cash only. Fixed amount visa and AMEX GCs (top at $200) can be paid by any methods. Accepted payment methods signage was clearly displayed on top.
yyes i saw that on few of the stores where i bought HI cards all variable cards cash only
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by aegt123
I have never seen a Paypal card at 3 ODs that I regularly visit. Are Paypal prepaid cards or Paypal reloads? Has anyone else noticed Paypal cards at OD?
Today was the first time. It was variable load to $500. Took it to the register and they said CASH ONLY I was especially annoyed because it was in the middle of the GC display and nowhere near the new signs that say 'cash only'. I told them they need to change their signage.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
None of the OD's in the Tacoma area had the fixed amount cards - they were either sold out (unlikely) or all of the cards above $50 (some of these remained) were pulled from the display - reasons unknown.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by neuro0
OD at Houston:
Variable load GCs cash only. Fixed amount visa and AMEX GCs (top at $200) can be paid by any methods. Accepted payment methods signage was clearly displayed on top.
Just to clarify, the cash only is for variable load visa or amex gcs. I bought a variable load Kindle card today with Ink, no questions asked.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by groobie
Just to clarify, the cash only is for variable load visa or amex gcs. I bought a variable load Kindle card today with Ink, no questions asked.
Any way to creatively cash out the kindle card? :-) I never understood activation fees on other cards :-)
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pier11
Any way to creatively cash out the kindle card? :-) I never understood activation fees on other cards :-)
Ha ha.. Wish there was a easy way (like amazon payments working with Amazon GC)..

For now, buy something for Amazon when there is a good deal and resell it..??
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Bought 2 $500.00. H I w/ Ink, today no problem. indy OD
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:20 pm

I live in an area that seems to lack many churners (VRs everywhere they should be and most cashiers seem to have zero experience with them). The Office Depots in my city don't have the VRs and variables back, one I checked in a suburb had them but wasn't allowed by the register to do the transaction with anything but cash, and a town an hour away (was visiting someone) even had an official sign that said "Prepaid Cards (cash only)" above the prepaid debits/reload cards and didn't carry variable GCs.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by groobie
Just to clarify, the cash only is for variable load visa or amex gcs.
And variable Paypal cards.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Tried to buy all forms of variable loads last week in PDX and had the red screen of death come up with the prompt for cash only. The manager told me he thought it was weird because he had just sold some the day before.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:22 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Has anyone had success using their Ink to purchase a OD or Staples GC and then turn around to purchase a Visa GC or VR?

PM responses are fine, just curious about the possibility of this.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:26 am

I believe you can't buy Visa GCs with store GCs or merchandise credit.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Has anyone had success using their Ink to purchase a OD or Staples GC and then turn around to purchase a Visa GC or VR?

PM responses are fine, just curious about the possibility of this.
I think this is worth looking into - I don't think OD expects people to be walking around with a couple thousand in cash to buy gift cards of any kind (it's bad enough the Vanilla cards are activated at the register while people are standing there watching) - I think a valid argument could be made to a store manager, but the question is whether or not the OD POS system will block a store gift card (which is neither a credit nor debit, but a cash instrument) from the transaction.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a little nervous buying a few thousand in GCs of any kind in a store surrounded by people - all it takes is one customer to follow me out the door and bang me over the head and they've just basically stolen cash unless I have a copy of the activation receipt still on me.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I had an interesting experience today...

I purchased 4x $200 Visa cards + 4x $50 Amazon cards. It took forever to get the purchase to go through... they said they needed approval from the store manager and since he was out had to call the district manager. They mentioned that purchases above $500 or $1000 (got conflicting information) required this additional approval.

While they were doing this they were carrying around a 3-page sheet titled "Office Depot and Money Laundering with Gift Cards" with all the new rules they were supposed to go by.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:54 pm

Get a copy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.