Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bikeguy
Kate will only allow load totals up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes. It does not matter if it was you or the person before you. If you go over that limit, Kate will freeze. Sept 2015- Several people have reported the 10 minute limit is now longer than 10. Not sure how much longer yet. Several Kate's have locked up following the old 10 minute rule.

9 digit pin problem - Sometimes, for unknown reasons, after you swipe your card and enter your pin, MCE will ask you for a 9 digit pin. To date, no one knows why this happens, or has a fix for it. If it repeatedly asks you for a pin, this is the same as the 9 digit pin problem and there is no fix.
Unplugging and re-booting by a supervisor doesn't fix this problem.

For consistent MCE issues, use the WM feedback link to report:
https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback
Select 'store experience' and be sure to include the store number and address. If you include your name and phone number the stores sometimes call when it is working again. Do not abuse this as it may lead to your MCE being removed.

How to shut Kate up by sosamo
  1. Before you press anything, plug the headphones into the jack near the pinpad
  2. The touchscreen will "gray" out, and you won't be able to press anything.
  3. Press '3' on the pinpad
  4. Press 'Enter' on the pinpad
  5. Continue business as usual on the touch screen.

Note: If you ever make a mistake, to get out, just unplug the headphone.

----
Walmart Money Center Kiosk Location

Any of the walmarts on the list have a Kate
http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Look for "Walmart Money Center Express" as one of the services
http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter
------------------------------
Print Wikipost

Walmart money kiosks(2013-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:20 am

I hit a WM on Saturday night. The sign says open 24 hours, but they lock up half the doors at 10pm.
At least the Kate was working.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
If I had to guess, I would imagine the velocity limit causes 95%+ of the problems we experience with the kiosks.
I would agree with this....
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: NW Plat, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sosamo
Fyi. Kate at the rosemead, ca walmart is no longer there. Just an empty space next to the coins tar machine. This kate get a lot of action from noobs msers. When I am there I just observe them while I wait my turn. They do not know about the velocity or even be conspicuous about it. I see one girl there that has a notebook that she looks at. Each receipt that comes out she put it on top of kate. Then to the next load. Then another receipt on kate. Back to her notebook. She look very organized. after like 4 or 5 receipts on kate she leaves...Then come back. Take out her notebook and load. And the whole process start again.
If it was taken away back in February, it's since been returned (or replaced). Just was at the the Rosemead store earlier today. Unfortunately, someone must have been using it immediately before me. After loading but a single $200 VGC from Staples, I had my first experience with the velocity limit. Will have to go back this weekend.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by LAXFlyer00
If it was taken away back in February, it's since been returned (or replaced). Just was at the the Rosemead store earlier today. Unfortunately, someone must have been using it immediately before me. After loading but a single $200 VGC from Staples, I had my first experience with the velocity limit. Will have to go back this weekend.
Thanks. Yah, they brought it back. But either "need approval" or "lane close" or "completely off".
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

I witnessed a poor older lady try for like 12 minutes to get a cash advance from her CC on Kate. Even got one of the ignorant cashiers to try to help her. Between the two of them they broke the Kate that day.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 pm

The one near 45 in Austin has been out of order the last two times I've visited. Beyond annoying.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
Thanks. Yah, they brought it back. But either "need approval" or "lane close" or "completely off".
+1 "lane closed", ...?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:57 am

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many MOs I can purchase at the kiosk? Does the machine lock out if you purchase more than 2k?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I must have terrible luck or somethng, because the last two times I tried to load $500 at kate, it locked up with need approval. Unless something has changed with regards to amount per load. I may have to simply watch Kate for a period of time before her to make sure someone didn't just load.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
I must have terrible luck or somethng, because the last two times I tried to load $500 at kate, it locked up with need approval. Unless something has changed with regards to amount per load. I may have to simply watch Kate for a period of time before her to make sure someone didn't just load.
If that's the case, then I recommend you wait about 10 mins or so before you load your first card. Just in case someone already loaded some before you got there.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:32 pm

As I posted above, I believe there is a secondary velocity limit to the kiosks. I made another trip last weekend, loaded $1900, waited 20 min, and then the kiosk froze on the first $500 load. I know there was no one using the kiosk beforehand since I was waiting at the cash register (to purchase some merchandise) for ~10 min, and had full view of the kiosk.

I would suggest going earlier during the day (& preferably a weekday if possible).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:01 am

I tried plugging an old microphone 3.5mm into the Kate to get her to shut up. No luck, she kept on talking out loud the whole time???
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I tried plugging an old microphone 3.5mm into the Kate to get her to shut up. No luck, she kept on talking out loud the whole time???
Did you press "3" on the pinpad then "enter"?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by paynea
As I posted above, I believe there is a secondary velocity limit to the kiosks. I made another trip last weekend, loaded $1900, waited 20 min, and then the kiosk froze on the first $500 load. I know there was no one using the kiosk beforehand since I was waiting at the cash register (to purchase some merchandise) for ~10 min, and had full view of the kiosk.
Did you watch the kate the whole time - you actively watched it for all "20 minutes" you waited, and you saw nobody use it that whole time?

Or did you watch it for a few minutes, then wander around the store for a while, assuming nobody was gagging the poor girl while you shopped?

PEOPLE - UNDERSTAND THIS: There are a LOT of people doing this. It's not some secret. Every time I go to WM, I see several people loading GCs. Sometimes, there is a line of them, openly holding a very thick stack of GCs still in packaging. I see people lock up the machine almost every time I'm there - then the idiot who did it gets in line at the MC and asks for a bunch of money orders!

You want to avoid the velocity limit? You need to do the following:
1 - Walk in. Note the time. Do the math: add 10 minutes to the current time. That's when you are PROBABLY good to go. But first, you have to…
2 - Wait. Watch the kate for the 10 full minutes. Be patient. 10 minutes feels like an eternity in WM, doesn't it? Don't walk around the store, stay where you can see it, and watch the machine. The whole time.
3 - While waiting and watching, see anyone walk up and use it?
4 - If yes, are they just a customer pulling cash from the ATM (pretty easy to tell, even from a distance)? If that's the case, you're probably OK…keep waiting & watching, your original 10 minute figure is probably OK.
5 - If someone uses it and they do NOT clearly pull money from the ATM, they just reset your clock, so note the time they finish. Add 10 minutes to that time. Go back to Step #2. Start waiting again.
6 - Only after seeing nobody use the machine for a solid 10 minutes, go do your business.

Really, the working machines are busy. On a typical weekend day, there is usually a line of people at my WM waiting to use the kate, and more than half of those people appear to be MSing. You cannot just assume that the machine has not been stuffed 30 seconds before you show up.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by paynea

I would suggest going earlier during the day (& preferably a weekday if possible).
I think it depend on certain Kate. There is one Kate that I can do 1500 per 10mins.

there is another kate that locks when I do 1500. wait 10mins 1000. wait 10 mins, 500, locks.

weird stuff like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.