Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for posts through 2016. The new thread for 2017 is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826119-billpay-walmart-2017-a.html

Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register.
It must be done at Customer Service/Returns.
Or at the Money Center in stores that have it.

BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST
Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.

Once your CFP account is set up, you can add cc. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services.

ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction.

ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
--------------------------------------------
:-:VISA and MC
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:
Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA
MASTERCARD
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC
Does not work:
Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 10PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:
TD Bank VS - [Source]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-:Issuing Bank

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid.

AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Consumer Loans - Use for BoA-issued and FIA-issued cards; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)[INDENT]Works:
FIA Fidelity VS & MC
BoA Alaska Airlines Visa
Does not work:
FIA Fidelity AX - No longer working for FIA Amex
BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.
Personal and business CCs
Citibank American Express - Use for Citi-issued AMEX cards
Citi AAdvantage AMEX
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.

For money order questions, check the following threads and their wiki posts:
Print Wikipost

Billpay at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:40 pm

Surprisingly, for a given payee, it seems that one location might have the $1 option while many other locations will not.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danpeake
Paid "Best Buy - Chase" this morning and did 3 days for $1 no problem.
Yeah, as I posted, I had a cashier the other week who messed up my 3-day-pay with Chase, switching it to 1-day and charging me more.

Meanwhile, on Friday morning, I selected 1-day-pay for Chase because I was getting close to my credit limit and wanted to be able to spend more on the card. It's now Monday night, and no sign of the payment when I go to my online Chase account. I know somebody in the wiki says that it sometimes takes until Tuesday morning for the credit to post: that's not one-day pay, is it? Maybe a class action is in order.

FWIW, I also did one-day-pay on a Barclay's Arrival card last week and that one did show up in a day. Is Chase just slower?

UPDATE: Now Tuesday morning, I think my Friday 1-day bill pay has been credited to my Chase account as my balance looks adjusted, but there's still no line-item reference to the payment. I'm also missing a large purchase from the weekend (which seems to have also been deducted from my credit limit). Not sure why Chase can't display this information as accurately as their competitors. Has anyone ever exceeded their Chase credit limit because of inaccurate website information? If the "additional" purchase goes through anyway, is there a charge for being over your credit limit?

Last edited by iahphx; Nov 18, 2014 at 7:29 am
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rtraveler
That is correct. Let me know how it works out. I've done it dozens of times.
I went to walmart for a 2K Bill pay. Weird thing happened is it gave that green OK message just before 4th swipe and not the 3rd swipe as it has happened dozens of past few times. Anyways, press the OK sign and the screen did not freeze and instead a cancel button appears on the screen. Press that and got the message something like "cancelled by customer". got the swipe option again, did the swipe and everything went fine.

Thanks Rtravaler !!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by ketelone
I went to walmart for a 2K Bill pay. Weird thing happened is it gave that green OK message just before 4th swipe and not the 3rd swipe as it has happened dozens of past few times. Anyways, press the OK sign and the screen did not freeze and instead a cancel button appears on the screen. Press that and got the message something like "cancelled by customer". got the swipe option again, did the swipe and everything went fine.

Thanks Rtravaler !!
Great to see it worked. I've had the green "OK" button appear after second/third swipe. After you press the green "OK" button, the only text that displays on the screen is the balance, i.e. "$500", once you press "Cancel", the balance appears again but it has a longer sentence like; "$500, ready for swipe".
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:15 pm

Where does everyone do Billpay? At the MC or the Cashiers (checkout lines)?

Every time I tried to do it at one of the checkout lines, they don't know how to do it and send me to the MC. Is it done differently at the checkout line?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, as I posted, I had a cashier the other week who messed up my 3-day-pay with Chase, switching it to 1-day and charging me more.

Meanwhile, on Friday morning, I selected 1-day-pay for Chase because I was getting close to my credit limit and wanted to be able to spend more on the card. It's now Monday night, and no sign of the payment when I go to my online Chase account. I know somebody in the wiki says that it sometimes takes until Tuesday morning for the credit to post: that's not one-day pay, is it? Maybe a class action is in order.

FWIW, I also did one-day-pay on a Barclay's Arrival card last week and that one did show up in a day. Is Chase just slower?

UPDATE: Now Tuesday morning, I think my Friday 1-day bill pay has been credited to my Chase account as my balance looks adjusted, but there's still no line-item reference to the payment. I'm also missing a large purchase from the weekend (which seems to have also been deducted from my credit limit). Not sure why Chase can't display this information as accurately as their competitors. Has anyone ever exceeded their Chase credit limit because of inaccurate website information? If the "additional" purchase goes through anyway, is there a charge for being over your credit limit?
In my experience, Chase will post on the morning after it is due to be paid, but with the expected date as the payment date. So, for example, If you made a one-day payment on Monday, Nov. 3, it will show up on your account on Wednesday, Nov. 5 with Tuesday, Nov. 4 as the pay date.

Are you paying a business card account? For some reason, those take a few extra days to be listed as a transaction but will reflect given the schedule I described above for credit line purposes.

If you're ever concerned about a payment posting, you can call Chase on the the evening the payment is supposed to be received (Tuesday, Nov. 4 in my example) and ask if they've "received any payments that have posted to the account that don't show up online yet." They often will confirm the payment I was expecting.

Like you, I will often do a one-day payment if I'm getting closed to my limit or the due date. Three days can be a while if it ends up being over a weekend.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by rtraveler
Where does everyone do Billpay? At the MC or the Cashiers (checkout lines)?

Every time I tried to do it at one of the checkout lines, they don't know how to do it and send me to the MC. Is it done differently at the checkout line?
If you have a money center you do it there. If you don't (like my WMs) you do it at customer service (where they process returns).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:16 pm

If you have a money center you do it there. If you don't (like my WMs) you do it at customer service (where they process returns).
thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:36 pm

What is the process to do split payments for WM BP? I thought it was the same for loading Serve and the WM CSR said they got an error after they tried to enter the split amount. What am I doing wrong?

Sequence goes as follows
1. Ask WM CSR that I want to do a $1.9K BP to Visa card
2. CSR enters $1.9K to pay for Visa and enters account info
3. Card reader gives total as $1.9K+fees.
4. Ask CSR that I want to do split payments with the first card as $950 and the second card the remaining balance.
5. CSR enters $950 to be debited on their terminal
6. CSR says they got a "Tender not allowed" message on their screen and could not proceed.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
What is the process to do split payments for WM BP? I thought it was the same for loading Serve and the WM CSR said they got an error after they tried to enter the split amount. What am I doing wrong?

Sequence goes as follows
1. Ask WM CSR that I want to do a $1.9K BP to Visa card
2. CSR enters $1.9K to pay for Visa and enters account info
3. Card reader gives total as $1.9K+fees.
4. Ask CSR that I want to do split payments with the first card as $950 and the second card the remaining balance.
5. CSR enters $950 to be debited on their terminal
6. CSR says they got a "Tender not allowed" message on their screen and could not proceed.
Check post 2811. It really should be in the wiki.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Check post 2811. It really should be in the wiki.
So according to post 2811, I am still a bit confused as to what this menas
"After CSR entering all info, ask her to wait for you swiping the card, enter the pin."

Does this mean after you get the total on the card reader screen, you swipe your card and enter PIN first and then the CSR instead of pressing the one debit button, types in $500 for example and press debit to get it to work.

So I guess in terms of the way you do split payments for Serve loading vs. WM BP, they seem to be reversed order. Serve loading you ask CSR to split before you swipe and WM BP you ask CSR to split after you swipe. Is that correct?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23408070-post2811.html
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
So according to post 2811, I am still a bit confused as to what this menas
"After CSR entering all info, ask her to wait for you swiping the card, enter the pin."

Does this mean after you get the total on the card reader screen, you swipe your card and enter PIN first and then the CSR instead of pressing the one debit button, types in $500 for example and press debit to get it to work.

So I guess in terms of the way you do split payments for Serve loading vs. WM BP, they seem to be reversed order. Serve loading you ask CSR to split before you swipe and WM BP you ask CSR to split after you swipe. Is that correct?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23408070-post2811.html
Correct. CSR cannot press debit button BEFORE you swipe, else the card would be denied. It really is the debit button that matters but since most CSRs tend to quickly press debit after entering the amount, it is better to just tell the CSR not to enter/press ANYTHING until after you swipe and enter your PIN, then she enter the amount, then press debit - seems to be a better "float". Many CSRs would initially hesitate but are willing to try, once they see the success, hopefully the next time would be easier.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Correct. CSR cannot press debit button BEFORE you swipe, else the card would be denied. It really is the debit button that matters but since most CSRs tend to quickly press debit after entering the amount, it is better to just tell the CSR not to enter/press ANYTHING until after you swipe and enter your PIN, then she enter the amount, then press debit - seems to be a better "float". Many CSRs would initially hesitate but are willing to try, once they see the success, hopefully the next time would be easier.
Ahh....gotcha. I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you paying a business card account? For some reason, those take a few extra days to be listed as a transaction but will reflect given the schedule I described above for credit line purposes.
Yeah, I was paying an Ink card. The "available credit" seems to be correctly calculated, but my Walmart bill pay from Friday (it's now Tuesday night) still isn't displayed, nor is an online Staples order (more recent in-store Staples' purchases ARE showing as pending). This seems like a sure fire recipe to run into trouble with your credit limit unless you're insanely careful. It's particularly risky if you're doing anything like buying gift cards online from Staples, and Staples inexplicably takes a few days to process your order, so unless you manually add up every purchase, you might be unaware of how much credit (if any) you have remaining. Lesson learned: I'm going to pay very careful attention to my Ink bill pays and purchases. I certainly thing I'm going to always pay the extra 50 cents to have 1-day billpay instead of 3, because even 1-day is tricky to follow.

EDIT: Today, Wednesday, my Friday WM billpay (that should post on Monday) and my Saturday Staples order (the day they shipped, not the day I placed my order) showed up as line items in my Chase online statement. So my online statement now fully reflects my account's actual purchasing and payments!

Interesting that an in-store Staples charge from yesterday shows as pending, but the online Staples order never showed as pending -- it just showed up 4 days later. Be careful out there managing your Ink credit limit -- it's confusing.

Last edited by iahphx; Nov 19, 2014 at 9:41 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
anyone else find the 3 day option for $1 missing for 'best buy-chase'?

did 2 billpays tonight- cashier in friendly store. the system only gave the option for 'next day' for $1.50. i had the csr backtrack but it only showed the 1 option (csr turned the screen so i could see, as i was her trainer.

for the second transaction, she turned the screen for the entire process- same same- only the 1 day option, and a different looking screen than usual: the usual choice box doesn't pop up. there is no option to choose, it just populates the period 'next day' and amount '1,50' and shows the total on a non-popup screen.

btw, before the math challenged chime in with a 'bfd, pay the extra .50, who cares, it's only 50 cents'..... it's all about cents per mile/point. i read people saying a dollar more or less per card doesn't matter, all the time on FT. only if the basic math that the 'measly' dollar adds 20, 25 or 33% to the price of your holiday escapes you. transportation/acquisition/liquidation are all inputs to determine if it makes sense monetarily. then valuing your time doing something worthwhile instead of MS (ie: family, a hobby that doesn't involve walmart/getting a real business going/etc) vs the time suck in lame stores/reading FT/making Hitler videos...
follow up:

went to another Wal-Mart and the $1 3 day option was there. it's amazing to me that 2 Wal-Marts, 10 miles apart, have different CheckFree software running. interface looks quite a bit different too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.