Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by WLX
Very true. Although the line from the mental health charities this morning has been “now we need to ensure that we work with providers of loadable wallets and apps”. To me this is the start of following transactions through to identify intent and block/recode.

This would in time have impact beyond gambling.
Interesting. Can't see how that's relevant to gambling on credit.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:50 pm

Arbitrage betting was my main source of MS (and beer money) for almost 30 years. I started at uni with a programmable calculator and my student grant. It's been closed down for a few years now unless you're prepared t go to extreme lengths such as generating fake ids, using dodgy overseas bookmakers etc.

This is a good move by the government today but I worry that it will push the addicts towards the dodgy outfits who prey on the vulnerable and quickly shut down the likes of me.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by luckyjim
Arbitrage betting was my main source of MS (and beer money) for almost 30 years. I started at uni with a programmable calculator and my student grant. It's been closed down for a few years now unless you're prepared t go to extreme lengths such as generating fake ids, using dodgy overseas bookmakers etc.

This is a good move by the government today but I worry that it will push the addicts towards the dodgy outfits who prey on the vulnerable and quickly shut down the likes of me.
Disagree strongly. Still plenty of money to be make from arbitrage betting without gnoming or using non GC books. Just need to think outside the box and adapt as ever.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis

When you say MS is that for points or money?

Arbing is still very much alive. You can play cat and mouse with the legacy odds compilers that manually do the coupons and shop till odds. Or you can do it online only until you get restricted. Or you can do what I did and arb the self service betting terminals, which aren't as efficient as the industry thinks they are.

The bookies have to accept that some accounts will be opened and cost them thousands of pounds through non gambling activity before they can shut them down.

The bookies pay a very heavy price when being used to generate spend on rewards credit cards. This seems to upset them a lot more than the more common methods of arbing. They have to employ people full time to attempt to stop undesirable customers from doing business with them, often in all futility. Very bizarre world.
flashware likes this.

Last edited by TheUrbanite; Jan 16, 2020 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:48 am

Some HFP readers are reporting a 5% cash advance fee when topping up Revolut from the Virgin Atlantic card. This might be due to a change in how Revolut codes the transaction so might affect other cards too.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Some HFP readers are reporting a 5% cash advance fee when topping up Revolut from the Virgin Atlantic card. This might be due to a change in how Revolut codes the transaction so might affect other cards too.
Lloyds is now showing ‘Money Orders - Wire Transfer’, as opposed to ‘Financial Services’ previously.

Not clear whether it’s handled as cash transaction but I’m wary.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum
just noticed a 3% cash transaction fee on my barclaycard Hilton visa when topping up revolut
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by zat_dude
Not clear whether it’s handled as cash transaction but I’m wary.
All isn't lost with Lloyds for now, as it seems..... But surely the end is near.

Scrap that. Having just read the terms and conditions it is clear that Lloyds should levy a 3% fee on these 'money transfer' transactions. Well, it was great while it lasted.

Last edited by zat_dude; Jan 23, 2020 at 12:42 am Reason: further research
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:42 am

HSBC seems to be okay for now. No fees showing online for recent top ups. Can't be sure until my next statement is generated though.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
What about the MBNA horizon visa to top up revolut.Does it charge a fee?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
What about the MBNA horizon visa to top up revolut.Does it charge a fee?

This one is another one that'sbeen caught in the 5% fee category

Stay away from it now!!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
The bookies pay a very heavy price when being used to generate spend on rewards credit cards. This seems to upset them a lot more than the more common methods of arbing. They have to employ people full time to attempt to stop undesirable customers from doing business with them, often in all futility. Very bizarre world.
Hang on, are you saying this is possible?!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:18 am

HSBC seems to be okay for now. No fees showing online for recent top ups. Can't be sure until my next statement is generated though.
Which HSBC card is worth anything?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by mhrb
Which HSBC card is worth anything?
The World Elite MC is a good card. The HSBC Rewards card seems to do a good job of making any financial transaction "ineligible" for rewards.

Originally Posted by mhrb
Hang on, are you saying this is possible?!
Anything is possible. The way I was doing it was a complicated scheme devised from scratch that I don't think anyone else was doing - definitely not low hanging fruit starter MS. I don't bother anymore though!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:43 am

Really keen to discuss any methods now. I was intending to hit my introductory amex bonus with holiday spending, but with what's happening it's not happening anymore and I'm trying to find alternative methods. Help pls! Happy to receive a PM to discuss

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.