Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:22 am

Have you considered buying gift cards? If you check your offers you may have a cashback at Morrisons (mine is spend over £30 and get 7% back). Amazon gift cards are valid 20 years and you can just load on your account (and they are unlikely to go bust). At the same time as the 7% you get back you can also sign up for Morrisons rewards (will give you free £5 vouchers when you spend a certain amount) and you can also get 8 virgin miles per pound on Virgin Atlantic via shops away (if you register your credit card beforehand with them) - thats valid until 25th March.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:25 am

Hi there, yes i've check. I've been thinking of tesco gift cards but I read somewhere that they now don't count gift card spend as contribution for miles. I don't have a morrisons anywhere near me unfortunately.

Any other tips??
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
I would be very selective about which retailers you buy gift cards for at the moment. Effectively you’re taking on credit exposure to the retailer/restaurant in question, and the coming months are going to be very tough for some of those names.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by donny9
Hi there, yes i've check. I've been thinking of tesco gift cards but I read somewhere that they now don't count gift card spend as contribution for miles. I don't have a morrisons anywhere near me unfortunately.

Any other tips??
Amex dont know what you've bought if you buy from a supermarket, they just see the spend come through. You could also just top-up your amazon account directly (but then you're getting no discount on it). Have you also considered paying your electric / gas? - I am with Bulb and they take Amex payment so you can always pre-pay enough to last you for 6 months or so.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by essexadventurer
I would be very selective about which retailers you buy gift cards for at the moment. Effectively you’re taking on credit exposure to the retailer/restaurant in question, and the coming months are going to be very tough for some of those names.
Definitely agree with this. I think you are safe with Amazon (they are doing a booming business), i've also bought some M&S gift cards but would want to give most high street retailers and restaurant chains a wide berth.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:07 am

good point. I will check the next time I go to tesco for groceries.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by donny9; Mar 18, 2020 at 7:40 am
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AmEx & Barclaycard Avios Plus
Hi guys, apologies - late to the party here.

I have the BA Prem+ Amex card, so do GC's count towards the welcome bonus? I have had Amex live chat say NO, but all I can see in T&C's is prepaid cards. I asked them to define prepaid cards but couldn't give a straight answer.

Am I right in believing the prepaid cards are like the VISA/MC Cash cards which you can load yourself?

For example, would purchasing a £40 Amazon GC count towards the Avios welcome bonus?

Thanks all.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by aviosluv

I have the BA Prem+ Amex card, so do GC's count towards the welcome bonus? I have had Amex live chat say NO, but all I can see in T&C's is prepaid cards. I asked them to define prepaid cards but couldn't give a straight answer.

Am I right in believing the prepaid cards are like the VISA/MC Cash cards which you can load yourself?

For example, would purchasing a £40 Amazon GC count towards the Avios welcome bonus?

Thanks all.
if you buy something from a supermarket all amex see is the spend come through. They don’t see the items you are buying. Since Supermarket spend counts then buying gift cards from a supermarket would too.

on the T&Cs for their supermarket spend offers it does say gift cards excluded but I’ve found that they are included and I still get cash back and points etc.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by essexadventurer
Agreed. And if you're doing MS with prepaid card type firms, consider the impacts of reduced staffing and the effects that will have if your funds are frozen for KYC/proof of source of funds or the withdrawals/transfers are manually reviewed.

Even if you're fortunate enough not to need to worry about income and procuring household supplies for the time being, now might be a good time to consider putting MS on hold.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by aviosluv

Thanks all.
In my experience Amazon GC's get tagged as regular spend.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ahopkins767
In my experience Amazon GC's get tagged as regular spend.
And as always you can just do a test to see mcc before going big.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
It seems that the circle is not as good as it once used to be. TBH - I did not pursue that route (never really liked the idea of a financial product with a transaction limit).

Did anyone else use much of it here?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by flieduk
It seems that the circle is not as good as it once used to be. TBH - I did not pursue that route (never really liked the idea of a financial product with a transaction limit).

I had a 500k limit. But never used that method as against t&cs, obvious, and plenty of other ways to hit my monthly limit.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by flieduk

The circle - is that the McLear Ring? I've been eyeing that one up but also think the limits are a limiting factor.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
The circle - is that the McLear Ring? I've been eyeing that one up but also think the limits are a limiting factor.
They meant something more obvious. You posted on their community a couple of days ago.

With the wearable, do you know how refunds to funding source work at £1.50 a pop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.