Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by smala01
i would be very weary about doing anything with paypal. Have you ever dealt with them from a compliance perspective? Its India stonewall hell. There is no way i would risk a live merchant account with those volumes by doing MS on it.

Each to their own, just know its high risk.

I've already done over £40k doing this route with no problems with PayPal.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by mr_moon
I've already done over £40k doing this route with no problems with PayPal.
I would rather make sure this amount of money is safe then handing them to PayPal who may hold it for 180 days.

I never dealt with PayPal this way but I had an account locked with my £200 due to suspious activity...
the_real_a likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:55 pm

Can I please kindly ask who still has a method that works for them? Not that I want to copy you but just want to know if it is that hard to MS in the UK
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Can I please kindly ask who still has a method that works for them? Not that I want to copy you but just want to know if it is that hard to MS in the UK
It is absolutely possible to MS in the UK to high levels and there are multiple methods available at present. The advice remains firm posted earlier in the thread that the best way to get started is to review all of the past - closed - methods and look for similar products that are currently available in the market. It is often hard work taking months to find an opportunity.

Unfortunately as you have seen, no one will post something that "works" publicly these days. Having said that, people are inherently lazy - as an example, a method spelt out step by step in 2013 in this thread has been successfully running until as recently as last month. Also note that YMMV - what does not work for one person may be very possible for someone located elsewhere in the country.

Last edited by the_real_a; Oct 9, 2017 at 5:33 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
I've got a few on the go. My focus is now on schemes that generate a profit, with the points being a secondary benefit. I do still dally with routes that incur a fee for the points, but these are not my priority.

I wouldn't say it's hard to MS in the UK. I still regularly discover new methods and open up routes which were previously non-existent. The days of the likes of 3V/NS&I are long gone though. Keep innovating and you will find some decent MS opportunities.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
I've got a few on the go. My focus is now on schemes that generate a profit, with the points being a secondary benefit. I do still dally with routes that incur a fee for the points, but these are not my priority.

I wouldn't say it's hard to MS in the UK. I still regularly discover new methods and open up routes which were previously non-existent. The days of the likes of 3V/NS&I are long gone though. Keep innovating and you will find some decent MS opportunities.
That is an excellent approach in terms of making actual profit. All other methods can die but buy low sell high would not.

In terms of GCs though I have paid £18780 of university tuitions fees by using my Amex BAPP and PRG to shop in Morrison's. As they do 25 bonus points per £1 I eventually got at least 500,000 points, equaling to £500 in store voucher. This did off set the total activation fees of £1296. The funnier thing is that I managed to use those Morrison's More Gift voucher to exchange more GCs using the self checkout machine. Also, this helped me to hit spend bonuses of my cards on top of 30000+ points I earned. Glad to have used the points on HKG-LGW/LCY-EDI with CX/BA in Y for £110 instead of £2459 given I booked on the day.

​​​​​I have my way to MS too but gladly it costs me basically nothing.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
Good opportunity at Wilkinson's until tomorrow 12 Oct 17 (they accept Amex)
£50 MasterCard prepaid cards selling at a 15% discount for £45.86
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/50-...-wilko-2809179
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Anyone know of some credit cards which treat foreign currency purchased at UK Post Offices as a purchase ?

IHG Creation ?
Amex Plat.
BAPP ?
etc.....
If I do remember sir, the Post Office's own credit card does such a trick. At least it did when I got mine a few years ago.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
If I do remember sir, the Post Office's own credit card does such a trick. At least it did when I got mine a few years ago.
Unless you are trying to "fill up" a credit card balance for a 0% offer or need a cheap loan - the exchange rate difference between the post office and the MasterCard/visa rate that you would get from the ATM on arrival puts you at a significant cost disadvantage.

Plenty of zero fee cards that offer ATM cash advances abroad - clarity / barclaycard travel / new tandem card.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by smala01
Unless you are trying to "fill up" a credit card balance for a 0% offer or need a cheap loan - the exchange rate difference between the post office and the MasterCard/visa rate that you would get from the ATM on arrival puts you at a significant cost disadvantage.

Plenty of zero fee cards that offer ATM cash advances abroad - clarity / barclaycard travel / new tandem card.
May as well use Curve card. 1% ATM fee just like making any other purchases overseas but it is treated as a purchase instead of cash advance.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:03 pm

May as well use Curve card. 1% ATM fee just like making any other purchases overseas but it is treated as a purchase instead of cash advance.
Another option would be to apply for the Aqua card. No FX fee and 0.5% cashback (up to £100 pa).
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoonwards
Another option would be to apply for the Aqua card. No FX fee and 0.5% cashback (up to £100 pa).
While you are right, applying Curve card won't hurt your credit score and you can choose to pay it with any non-amex cards
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:25 am

Does anyone know where I can buy high value pre-paid cards in the UK? By high-value I mean at least £200 but ideally £400 or more. Amex, Visa or MC, it doesn't matter.

$500 cards are commonplace in the US but I can't seem to find anything over £100 in the UK.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by luckyjim
Does anyone know where I can buy high value pre-paid cards in the UK? By high-value I mean at least £200 but ideally £400 or more. Amex, Visa or MC, it doesn't matter.

$500 cards are commonplace in the US but I can't seem to find anything over £100 in the UK.
Here in the UK you need to buy it online but it will attract a bit of fees. People here seem not to use prepaid gift cards that much, though I did use 230 of them to pay off my university fees this year.

I recommend you to buy it in Morrison's as you will earn 1 base pont and 25 bonus points per pound spent.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by luckyjim

Not many that I know of unless buying for corporate purposes. In the UK, it's mostly reloadable prepaid cards on offer, a few of which are designed to hold high values. But not much of what you're looking for I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.