Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Meh - manufactured spending and money laundering do not involve use of the same methods.
In the UK, anti-money laundering departments will flag up activity for even tiny amounts where transactions look unusual. If they can't verify that you aren't using stolen credit cards or funds from other illegal activity, you get shut down.

It isn't anywhere near as easy as in the USA to cycle 6 figures of cash. Things like £500 nameless gift cards are a bit harder to come by.

Last edited by TheUrbanite; Apr 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I don't know if you count this as MS or not but I used an alternative way to pay for my University tuition fees with my Amex cards, even though they take no Amex cards...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by cysyuen
I don't know if you count this as MS or not but I used an alternative way to pay for my University tuition fees with my Amex cards, even though they take no Amex cards...
I think MS more involves turning credit into cash or transferring credit into a bank account.

Always good to know how to do these things - bought a Henry in Screwfix the other day. They don't take Amex so went via Paypal and Click n' Collect instead.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Anyone know of some credit cards which treat foreign currency purchased at UK Post Offices as a purchase ?

IHG Creation ?
Amex Plat.
BAPP ?
etc.....
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by cjt
Yes, I think I also read something recently (maybe in the HfP comments section) but I can confirm that the paypal method works. I didn't have any problems sending £400 to a friend with my Amex three weeks ago and then another £200 last week. All posted as purchases and counted towards the sign-up bonus.
Can anyone confirm whether this still works for this sort of level of cash ?
Cheers.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Anyone know of some credit cards which treat foreign currency purchased at UK Post Offices as a purchase ?

IHG Creation ?
Amex Plat.
BAPP ?
etc.....
Good luck with that one - the merchant code used for the Travel Money point of sale is pretty certain to get you stung for a cash advance.

As for Paypal, there's no smoke without fire. Even cycling a fair few $s per month, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole for MS purposes. It's a pretty useful service to have so IMO not worth risking it for a few points.

Last edited by TheUrbanite; Aug 1, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus

IHG Creation ?
Amex Plat.
BAPP ?
etc.....
Non of the reward credit cards do, the best you can get is something like Halifax Clarity which has ZERO cash advance fee.

But the post office has such poor rates that you are better using something like curve (@1% fee) whilst abroad and extract cash from a bank or ATM in country.

Paypal - not a chance. This used to be a route in 2007 but not today. At those volumes you will have your account frozen/closed and have to deal with a brick wall of an Indian call centre to return your funds. Just don't do it.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:35 pm

Anyone who wants to do some manufactured spend and has a PayPal Merchant account with fees at 1.4% or lower drop me a message.

I have a merchant account and would like to come to mutually lucrative arrangement with someone!

Message me for more details.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mr_moon
Anyone who wants to do some manufactured spend and has a PayPal Merchant account with fees at 1.4% or lower drop me a message.

I have a merchant account and would like to come to mutually lucrative arrangement with someone!

I may disappoint you but there is a company which when you spend enough with hem you get 0% card fees, with an Amex!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by cysyuen
I may disappoint you but there is a company which when you spend enough with hem you get 0% card fees, with an Amex!
Hey, care to give more information? I don't see how they can offer 0% fees, they would be making a loss? PM me if you like and I can explain further my plan.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:44 pm

Hey, care to give more information? I don't see how they can offer 0% fees, they would be making a loss? PM me if you like and I can explain further my plan.
mr_moon just dropped you several PMs to explain my full plan. I look forward to your reply!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:39 am

i would be very weary about doing anything with paypal. Have you ever dealt with them from a compliance perspective? Its India stonewall hell. There is no way i would risk a live merchant account with those volumes by doing MS on it.

Each to their own, just know its high risk.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by smala01
i would be very weary about doing anything with paypal. Have you ever dealt with them from a compliance perspective? Its India stonewall hell. There is no way i would risk a live merchant account with those volumes by doing MS on it.

Each to their own, just know its high risk.
I for one am weary of malapropisms.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely
I for one am weary of malapropisms.
Oh get over yourself.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by smala01
Oh get over yourself.
Oh, wait; I get it now. That must be British English. OK; nothing to see here then. Move along....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.