Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Two approaches. Method A is load as much as you can as quickly as you can. They will shut you down quickly, perhaps in a matter of days, but you'll get some benefit. If you want to drag it out a little longer don't load the maximums and don't withdraw cash quickly - let the money sit and then use GoBank's bill pay function. Once they shut you down be prepared to send in ID info and wait a couple of weeks to get your money back. GoBank does seem a bit more professional than say MVD in handling closures.

Method B would be to use GoBank sparingly. Load $500 or $1,000 per week, let is sit a day or two, then bill pay it out (I just pay off the CC's used to purchase the loads). Swipe the card a couple of times a month (no fees) for fun, make an ATM withdrawal here or there. I've managed to keep GoBank alive for about 8 months now using something like this, but I get little out of the card - just something else that can be done at Walmart while I'm there for MO's, Billpay, etc.

I don't know why you'd want to use an ATM to unload. Their bill pay function is fine and free and you can do larger volumes with this. I believe there are some data points in this thread where ATM activity draws more scrutiny, but YMMV.
Like I said, this is a small play. I view this as a way to load some $200 GCs if I find a promotion. Amex for Target and the Campus edition card are both better options.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Like I said, this is a small play. I view this as a way to load some $200 GCs if I find a promotion. Amex for Target and the Campus edition card are both better options.
Dapper is yours still alive and well?

I was thinking maybe 10-20 $100 cards a month....
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by steventravel

I'm still alive and running.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by steventravel

I only have a single data point on this, but... One friend of mine got a card the same time as me, had the same load/amount pattern, similar disposal pattern, and got shut down after 4 months. When we looked at our transaction differences, the only thing we found was that I used over 50% $500 GC's to load (the rest $100-$200) while he used 80-90% $100 or $200 GC's. Perhaps GB likes fewer load transactions? Or, I am just randomly lucky - either one is possible with GreenDot.

DapperDon - do you load smaller or larger GC's?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:42 pm

I have not read this thread in awhile...I was shut down a long time ago...see my info in the wiki...anyone successful getting a 2nd card after getting shutdown?

I could order one for my wife, give her parents address?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Two approaches. Method A is load as much as you can as quickly as you can. They will shut you down quickly, perhaps in a matter of days, but you'll get some benefit. If you want to drag it out a little longer don't load the maximums and don't withdraw cash quickly - let the money sit and then use GoBank's bill pay function. Once they shut you down be prepared to send in ID info and wait a couple of weeks to get your money back. GoBank does seem a bit more professional than say MVD in handling closures.

Method B would be to use GoBank sparingly. Load $500 or $1,000 per week, let is sit a day or two, then bill pay it out (I just pay off the CC's used to purchase the loads). Swipe the card a couple of times a month (no fees) for fun, make an ATM withdrawal here or there. I've managed to keep GoBank alive for about 8 months now using something like this, but I get little out of the card - just something else that can be done at Walmart while I'm there for MO's, Billpay, etc.

I don't know why you'd want to use an ATM to unload. Their bill pay function is fine and free and you can do larger volumes with this. I believe there are some data points in this thread where ATM activity draws more scrutiny, but YMMV.
I use method B and also have been alive for about 8 months
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:01 pm

I only have a single data point on this, but... One friend of mine got a card the same time as me, had the same load/amount pattern, similar disposal pattern, and got shut down after 4 months. When we looked at our transaction differences, the only thing we found was that I used over 50% $500 GC's to load (the rest $100-$200) while he used 80-90% $100 or $200 GC's. Perhaps GB likes fewer load transactions? Or, I am just randomly lucky - either one is possible with GreenDot.

DapperDon - do you load smaller or larger GC's?
I was doing larger ones. I haven't loaded in a while. When I did load, I used it like an Amex Target and less like an Amex Bluebird. This is a small time play, imo.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:07 am

I found that my account was closed when I login today. I did 7K last month and 4K this month. I got a warning a couple of weeks ago. I think that my issue was unloading too soon after the loading. I need to find another way to unload VGCs.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Yaoyao
I found that my account was closed when I login today. I did 7K last month and 4K this month. I got a warning a couple of weeks ago. I think that my issue was unloading too soon after the loading. I need to find another way to unload VGCs.
What did they say in the warning? Did they call?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
What did they say in the warning? Did they call?
I posted it earlier about it. They blocked my account after one ATM withdraw and I called them. They told me that I am supposed to use the card as normal checking account instead of frequently loading and withdraws. Actually, besides loading part (I use DD for my regular checking), I used the card exactly like my checking account. I used it just for online payment and occasional withdraw. Oh, well. I may start using MO to unload my VGCs.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:13 am

This is my first time posting so idk if i am doing this right but greendot blocked my card bc of my tax refund. i had to send documents stating who i was and still have not heard anything. as i did read on this happens all the time and they steal the money. I have made contact with my state genrel attorney, filed with the BBB and talked with the lawyer about small claims. they wont release my funds that are mine. they have a building is CA but idk if its a real one or not. has anyone gone through this and what was the out come
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by genieyz23
This is my first time posting so idk if i am doing this right but greendot blocked my card bc of my tax refund. i had to send documents stating who i was and still have not heard anything. as i did read on this happens all the time and they steal the money. I have made contact with my state genrel attorney, filed with the BBB and talked with the lawyer about small claims. they wont release my funds that are mine. they have a building is CA but idk if its a real one or not. has anyone gone through this and what was the out come
How long ago did you send in the documents? You faxed it? I'm assuming you called them; what did they say?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:16 pm

yes

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
How long ago did you send in the documents? You faxed it? I'm assuming you called them; what did they say?
I have called and been told that it will take 7 to 14 business days. I understand but at the sametime i dont understand it. have you heard of it and them still holding up the account?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I didnt fax I took pics and emailed them bc i read that they will always say that they cant read the fax but dont tell you that till the end of the time frame. they said that it was bc i had a tax refund. they have it everywhere to dd your taxes on the card. i have been reading some ppl still dont have funds and they reply that it is bc the irs didnt release them but these ppl have tracking numbers and all that.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by genieyz23
I have called and been told that it will take 7 to 14 business days. I understand but at the sametime i dont understand it. have you heard of it and them still holding up the account?
My account was blocked and they held my funds (about $2000) because I was using SquareCash to fund GoBank. I called them and they said the method of SquareCash is not allowed and they have to verify that it was me. I had to fax them the receipts (yes, faxed at FedEx) that it was indeed me that I used SquareCash.

5 business days later go by and my account was still blocked. I called them and asked if they received my faxed. They verified and unblocked my account and my account has been good to go since then. It was about 2 months ago I think.

In 7-14 days you should be fine and get all your money back assuming everything is accurate and legit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.