Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by commdiver
It said something to the effect of that my information cannot be verified. I know that everything is correct. That is very odd. I have been denied from a checking account before, but my credit score is pretty good, albeit a bit short (I am a younger guy).
Have you frozen any of the credit bureaus? Why were you denied for a checking account? Any issues? Dare I say call Gobank? It can't hurt at this point.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Have you frozen any of the credit bureaus? Why were you denied for a checking account? Any issues? Dare I say call Gobank? It can't hurt at this point.
I was denied a checking after a ten-card churn a few years ago. I was 18, so my credit score probably was very low after that churn. I will give them a call. Thank you.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold
Got a call from Go Bank today. Apparently they had an issue with their bill pay and my payments issued on 2/26 have been delayed. The CSR said they were re-issued on 3/3.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Tried to load just now at WM but wouldn't load. Mobile app says account closed -- did $27k in about 4 months. Online site says to call. Balance is $0 and I got an email this morning that my last bill pay went through so I'll check next week to make sure it posts.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by amolkold
Tried to load just now at WM but wouldn't load. Mobile app says account closed -- did $27k in about 4 months. Online site says to call. Balance is $0 and I got an email this morning that my last bill pay went through so I'll check next week to make sure it posts.
"The" Amol? First time I ever think I've seen you post here.....

27k in 4 months was asking for a shutdown

I'm still live with this, although I've "only" put through 18k since last June... mostly using to cash out smaller denomination GC's
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
"The" Amol? First time I ever think I've seen you post here.....

27k in 4 months was asking for a shutdown

I'm still live with this, although I've "only" put through 18k since last June... mostly using to cash out smaller denomination GC's
Hah, I didn't know I was deserving of an article like "the" - there are too many threads in this forum to keep up with all of them but I was using GoBank since October. It was pushing the envelope, I agree, but thought I'd give a data point. I might open up one in a relative's name and go much slower on that (since I've never been asked for ID loading the darn thing at WM).

All of mine were bill paid out. Yes, I could have used it for regular swipes but that takes too much effort. Not my cup of tea.

What's funny is I used it as a way to load extra $500 GCs, but I got shut down right as I needed somewhere to load a $50 rewards gift card

Now I just hope my bill payment that was confirmed to go through actually goes through. And if it doesn't ... I work across the street from GreenDot
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
I hope you aren't suprised at this....
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It's the one and only Amolkold. I'm pretty sure he knew what he was getting in to. ^
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Tbh, I'm surprised I wasn't shut down earlier.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I actually might start using this again. Every time I think I'm going to start up again, I get another BB. Someone brought up an interesting point though...this makes sense to use for those small denomination gift cards.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

I received a warning for unwanted activity on 2 of my 3 cards (loading and unloading immediately, no purchases). I was doing about 5-6k on the cards each month. They told me that if I were to continue with the same pattern of activity, they would close the cards down.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by dogbyte
I received a warning for unwanted activity on 2 of my 3 cards (loading and unloading immediately, no purchases). I was doing about 5-6k on the cards each month. They told me that if I were to continue with the same pattern of activity, they would close the cards down.
How did you receive this notification?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
How did you receive this notification?
When I tried to log-in using the mobile app, there was an error message containing a number to call. I called and had a painless 2 minute conversation with a CSR. Both times, the CSR asked me whether I knew how to use my GoBank account. It must be in their standard script or something.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I actually might start using this again. Every time I think I'm going to start up again, I get another BB. Someone brought up an interesting point though...this makes sense to use for those small denomination gift cards.
I don't know about that. I've read multiple reports of shutdowns after $100-$200 loads. I think GB doesn't like paying wm loading fees - especially for small denominations.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Finally found a place to buy MP on CC and tested it with a $50 purchase. Loaded GB account then discover it was a one time thing

Doh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.