Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I could see the problem as such: Say you do the method and then have it ready to use... and something goes wrong. I dunno, maybe a wmt clerk fs up and had to back out the 4 way split trans in buying MOs. Now the money has to go somewhere and sometimes when that happen you have to call someone.

GD has it, but who will they give it to?

i can tell you that in my dealings with them in shema like this I have had to fax in every detail of everything I did before to wait 2 months for $8k in checks... and then FDIC them to still get the money out.

If this works for anyone for a long time, that is pure luck
Old May 10, 2014, 9:10 pm

Failed to load to GCs this evening,. Come home and log in to see "Please call our Member Care team at (888) 280-8260 to access your account."

I assume this may mean closure. I've been loading $6k a month since June of last year. My one hope is that fact that I saw Mint finally added support for GoBank, so I added that it. Maybe that's why my account is frozen? If not, it was a decent run.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:05 am

i haven't looked @ gobank for over a year since i was shut down. i've browsed the thread but not seen an answer to my question:

is it still painless if/when shutdown occurs? a year ago, shut down just put you into liquidation mode, with the card still open to spend down to zero. is that still the case?

thinking of having a family member or 2 get gobank to help with my liquidations...

thx.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by cKGunslinger
Failed to load to GCs this evening,. Come home and log in to see "Please call our Member Care team at (888) 280-8260 to access your account."

I assume this may mean closure. I've been loading $6k a month since June of last year. My one hope is that fact that I saw Mint finally added support for GoBank, so I added that it. Maybe that's why my account is frozen? If not, it was a decent run.
Called yesterday. Got a "warning" for "not using product as intended" by loading and unloading only. I could tell that the rep I talked to understood exactly what I was doing. She said "just make some purchases and swipe your card once in a while" to avoid getting flagged.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:01 pm

I assume this may mean closure. I've been loading $6k a month since June of last year. ...Called yesterday. Got a "warning" for "not using product as intended" by loading and unloading only. I could tell that the rep I talked to understood exactly what I was doing. She said "just make some purchases and swipe your card once in a while" to avoid getting flagged.
How much do you normally load at a time? How far apart are your loads. You seem to have stayed alive much longer than most who have done 6k per month.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
How much do you normally load at a time? How far apart are your loads. You seem to have stayed alive much longer than most who have done 6k per month.
Typically, 3x$500 every Sat, bill-pay $1500 out on Sunday (usually in 1 payment.)

Lately, I've been cutting down to bill-pay $3000 every other week, which may be a factor in getting flagged (loading with money already in the account.) I'll go back to my previous behavior, with a coffee purchase or 2 per week thrown in, I suppose.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:35 am

Typically, 3x$500 every Sat, bill-pay $1500 out on Sunday (usually in 1 payment.)

Lately, I've been cutting down to bill-pay $3000 every other week, which may be a factor in getting flagged (loading with money already in the account.) I'll go back to my previous behavior, with a coffee purchase or 2 per week thrown in, I suppose.
I do every other Saturday either 3x500 or 4x500. Never had a problem. Billpay out the same day.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA
It appears from what I have read here is 3K per month is safe, 4k is possibly safe, but may get you shut down. Above that is a big maybe, and just about anything over 5-6K per month will definately get you shut down.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:41 pm

I was trying to pay my CC today using mobile app, but the payment schedule never went through. Later I found all my saved CC payees had disappeared, and I could not add any new payee. Is this a sign of shutdown? Anyone in the same boat?
Old May 21, 2014, 4:44 pm

I am never in this thread anymore since GD banned but I saw a new reloadable GD card at rite aid the other day. Wanted to take a picture but one of the testy cashiers was around. Will get the name if u guys need it.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by adminds
I was trying to pay my CC today using mobile app, but the payment schedule never went through. Later I found all my saved CC payees had disappeared, and I could not add any new payee. Is this a sign of shutdown? Anyone in the same boat?
A. Try paying one day later if it will not go through. Stupid but it usually helps.

B. Check online via a computer and see if your payees are there. They did release a new version of the app today and it seems buggy. My payees showed but it took awhile.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by aeneas3
I am never in this thread anymore since GD banned but I saw a new reloadable GD card at rite aid the other day. Wanted to take a picture but one of the testy cashiers was around. Will get the name if u guys need it.
What is the name of the card?
Old May 22, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by worldtravels
It appears from what I have read here is 3K per month is safe, 4k is possibly safe, but may get you shut down. Above that is a big maybe, and just about anything over 5-6K per month will definately get you shut down.
For what it's worth, I have 4 of these, and I've loaded 5k a month on many of them for a number of months over the past year. Knock on wood, all 4 are still alive.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Any one has experience FDIC Greendot ? Does that generally speed up things or they just don't care even about FDIC? I had a dispute with them that's not resolved for 2 weeks now, the front line CSR are completely useless.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:33 pm

Thanks for your advice. Now everything is fine.

Originally Posted by ctbarron
A. Try paying one day later if it will not go through. Stupid but it usually helps.

B. Check online via a computer and see if your payees are there. They did release a new version of the app today and it seems buggy. My payees showed but it took awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.