Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
This article is just about GoBank. There's nothing new here, and all this panic about directly competing products being introduced is silly as GoBank and BlueBird have coexisted for nearly a year and a half...will be asking mods to clarify and merge this into the existing GoBank thread.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:25 am

Finally saw some GoBank starter kit packs at my local Walmart. They look like all the other reloadable card packs except have some kind of animal on the front (wasn't paying too close attention). $2.95 activation I believe.

Hate that $8.95 monthly fee though.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by unkinected
Finally saw some GoBank starter kit packs at my local Walmart. They look like all the other reloadable card packs except have some kind of animal on the front (wasn't paying too close attention). $2.95 activation I believe.

Hate that $8.95 monthly fee though.
Waived with a $500 direct deposit per month.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Wendigo
Waived with a $500 direct deposit per month.
The million dollar question (or should I say $8.95/month question?) is: Will an ACH transfer from your bank account or Paypal count as a Direct Deposit?

I just linked my paypal to my new GoBank (that I bought at a local Walmart) and transferred >$500 so we will see. Anyone else have any luck or have a million dollar answer?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by sjkpdx
The million dollar question (or should I say $8.95/month question?) is: Will an ACH transfer from your bank account or Paypal count as a Direct Deposit?

I just linked my paypal to my new GoBank (that I bought at a local Walmart) and transferred >$500 so we will see. Anyone else have any luck or have a million dollar answer?
Do it too many times with PP and you'll get a sound warning from them.
As for your question, it most likely would be Direct Deposit (atlas that's how it works for Serve)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by sjkpdx

This is what I'm curious about too. I'll probably pick up a starter kit on my next WM trip, but do let us know what you find out.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:46 pm

Deleted

Last edited by JimJamBonks; Oct 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:20 am

found the answer

Last edited by Mamibear; Dec 15, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HH, Delta, SW
Originally Posted by BenH
This is similar to my history and patterns, except I do bill pays and not ACH and my balance is not always at 0, but under $500.
Similar story for me.

Just adding a data point I guess. I'm obviously not trying to go big on this one, just trying to stay alive and supplement other avenues.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HH, Delta, SW
Does anyone have any insight as to whether billpay or ACH pull is better for staying alive on this thing?

Its all guesswork to a certain extant, but hopefully it'll be worth it to develop a database of what in the world are the best practices with this thing
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by JTxm
Does anyone have any insight as to whether billpay or ACH pull is better for staying alive on this thing?

Its all guesswork to a certain extant, but hopefully it'll be worth it to develop a database of what in the world are the best practices with this thing
IME managing a number of reloadable cards, moderation is the key to go under radar to stay in the game for months/years w/o getting shutdown. I've done B/P, ACH, P2P, etc to show various activity in my account w/o calling attention to just one form of spending. Spreading loads to different cards and using different CCs has worked for me.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mamibear
IME managing a number of reloadable cards, moderation is the key to go under radar to stay in the game for months/years w/o getting shutdown. I've done B/P, ACH, P2P, etc to show various activity in my account w/o calling attention to just one form of spending. Spreading loads to different cards and using different CCs has worked for me.
^^
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:08 am

Anyone use bill pay recently? I always got:
We apologize, but we're currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ericliujian
We apologize, but we're currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.
Had the error when I tried a couple of times yesterday. Give it a day or two, typically resolves itself.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
I ahd the issue last night and this morning. I moved the date of payment to the following allowable day and it worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.